Notices

How-to: Swap your own built engine - By Bruschijr - Updated: 6.17.2005

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
bruschijr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MIAPLAYA... i was thinking about the NISMO sprocket... but im not sure what it does with timing or if it is something that you should get with FI... I know its good for NA for some reason... still dont know exactly what its doing... but it looks like it adds timing... im not sure if id want to do that with FI.. from what i understand...

Im calling all the dealerships around me to see if they have anything in stock..

Its so frustrating... hehe... all they have to put on is like 3 pieces...
Old 04-26-2005, 09:17 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by bruschijr
MIAPLAYA... i was thinking about the NISMO sprocket... but im not sure what it does with timing or if it is something that you should get with FI... I know its good for NA for some reason... still dont know exactly what its doing... but it looks like it adds timing... im not sure if id want to do that with FI.. from what i understand...

Im calling all the dealerships around me to see if they have anything in stock..

Its so frustrating... hehe... all they have to put on is like 3 pieces...
it advance the cam timing but yeah I'm not sure what it would do for ignition timing...as for the stock parts give Greg Vogel a call at 1-866-55-MOSSY or on his cell at 760-535-2259....He's always been able to get me what I need in short order...especially on stock parts....You might have to pay a little more for shipping from Cali but it seems like it would be worth it...BTW great thread so far...

Edit: Tell him Robert sent you....
Old 04-26-2005, 09:28 AM
bruschijr

thanks ill check it out... oh and.. i already have one... i dont think it would be good to mix two different VTC sprockets I started reading a thread reguarding info on that... and for right now it went over my head on how it works... i just want to get the engine back so i can get it started
Old 04-27-2005, 06:25 AM
etx

I'd like to add something. I got my motor out monday night and it was a snap. I removed the front bumper cover, radiator, AC condensor and the whole front clip of the car. Then after removing the wiring harness, the wastegates/downpipes and unbolting the trans I pulled it right out. Just support the trans with a floor jack and silde the motor out the front. The one and only thing I got hung up on was removing the AC condensor. After discharging the system I found the condensor used very strange connectors. Well they are just Ford fuel system connectors and you can get the tools (whole set) to remove them from Napa for $12. Nissan want's $8 per disconnector! So that's $16 right there, better off getting the whole set for $12.

On a side note, my lower oil pan has three holes! One on each side, and one on the bottom. At this point I'm just hopeing the heads are ok.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:39 PM
dappa

bruschijr, just wanted to say very nice write up so far, and i hope you get those parts soon so i can see the final report, i think this might be something i will be looking to do in the near future and i will definitely refer to this thread
Old 04-28-2005, 07:15 PM
bruschijr

Update: Performance Nissan has shipped the remaining parts to SGP racing today. The tracking number didnt work, but they should be there monday. Kyle at SGP told me he would have it done and shipped out to me by the end of next week.

I hope it gets there by the 15th of may. Im leaving to get married and go on my honeymoon.... the date is the 21st of may.... Im spending a week in hawaii with all my friends then going to Japan for a week... now i can go get all those special parts... hehe... I think one of the things on the "TO DO" list would be to rent a Skyline GTR for the day... hope i can do that...

Unfortunatley it looks like ill be getting my engine a day or two before i have to go... so there will be a two week period of nothing... well.. at least its almost done right?

Hey i have all the pics up on the server that i wanted to put up for the engine removal process.... can i edit my last message (HOW?) or do i have to post up another one with the links in there? I'd like to show you guys the pictures.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:43 PM
bruschijr

well it doesnt look like i can edit the post anymore...so you will have to reference my pictures that i put up here now.... here it goes

Here is a picture of the wiper blade bolt you need to take off...

I dont know what i took this for... hmm..

Here are the damn 3 piece engine clips i was talking to you about... these were a mess to remove....

Here is a picture with the cover removed for the wipers the engine harness wires are part of the black plunger thing on the left.

Here is the underside of the wiper cover, with the silicone lines you need to be careful removing..

And here is how i separated the lines

Here is what it looks like after everything is off..

Success!!!!!!!!!!

Drainage of the power steering fluid..

Here was the hardest part of the whole thing... i had to fit my head, shoulders, arms, and a flaslight in this space while i was on my back with my feet up on the headrest.... just imagine... and only one hand since the other one had to hold the flashlight..

Removal of the harness from the top... you have to peel it to get to that white piece... i used a screwdriver..

Just pull it all out... watch you dont catch anything...

The huge mess of cables..

You need to make the arm of the harness swing in the down position like it is to get this off... there is no other way... this took me a while to do...

I cant explain how to do this one... its kinda like the black one... except the arm is on the other side... but these are the two to be removed.

Prepping the engine to be lifted..

For all the greddy owners... MAKE SURE YOU TAKE OFF THE WASTEGATES... or you will get stuck like this.... ooh this made my blood boil !!!

Separation!!! Without the wastegates of course...

1.....2.....3....pull

My dad again.... looking freaked out.... "you better know what your doing" he kept saying... i kept saying "I have no friggin clue"

Engine ya looks good wont ya back that thang up...

Waiting to take the stand....

Oh and here is a pic of the stock clutch disk by the way... pretty good for turbo... yet... i only put 1k on it...

Thats all for now folks... next time i put up some pics is when i get my engine back... whenever that is... sorry i couldnt blend this in with my last section... just use the two together and reference each other... when i finish everything ill write up a whole new post including everything all in one place in order from start to finish... until then it will be broken up and youll have to look for it...
Old 04-30-2005, 06:59 AM
richc86

Man I give to you Brotha.....that is brave..........are you going to upgrade the Clutch?
I didn't read the whole thread but the engine you pulled....was it still in good condition?
Old 04-30-2005, 04:10 PM
bruschijr

thanks... appreciate it..
yeah i upgraded my clutch to an RPS segmented flywheel... which is a little lighter than stock and the rps max pressure plate... which is rated at 550ft/lbs... i have those pictures up, but in another post that is probably lost somewhere in the forums... i did have everything listed that i put on here... but someone complained that my sig was too long.... i have to redo it again.

The engine was in great condition... i kept it in there and bought another core... so while it was getting worked on I still had a car to drive... I started the project in July... that would have been a long time to not be able to drive my car.. and the engine still isnt back yet.... but it will be very soon!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:36 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heck... I havent even ever changed my oil.... and i just removed a freaking engine... LOL....
I just ran into your thread and I just wanted to say that you're a crazy maniac with big freaking huge brass *****. I cracked up at the part where you said your dad said "you better friggen know what you're doing" and you're saying "I don't know what the frig I'm doing." Ha!

Congrats on the pull, good luck on the drop and thanks for your post.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:23 AM
1000HP

Damn. Nice job man. How much money do you think you saved in labor costs by doing this yourself? Also, how many hours do you think this took you total?
Old 05-01-2005, 05:29 PM
richc86

The engine was in great condition... i kept it in there and bought another core... so while it was getting worked on I still had a car to drive... I started the project in July... that would have been a long time to not be able to drive my car.. and the engine still isnt back yet.... but it will be very soon![/QUOTE]

So you are going to have two VQ35 engine in your posession?..if you are what are going to do with the one you just pulled? by the way I used to live in New Hyde Park...moved down south..miss it though........
Old 05-04-2005, 02:37 PM
bruschijr

Update: SGP is done! Engine is shipping tomorrow and will be here next Wed or Thur .... Shipping is a lot though... . Fortunatley, and unfortunatley, I will be leaving that saturday for two weeks... going to hawaii for a wedding and then japan for a honeymoon... so i will only have a day or so to do anything... i probably wont be able to put it in... but i can prep it... so that deserves both a and a ...

As for the other questions... im sure i saved thousands in labor costs. But who knows... if I f' up... then i didnt save anything at all. If this all works then not only will i have a lot more money to spend, but i will also have a great sense of pride... just opening the hood of a car would intimidate me before I bought the z. I didnt know where to put in oil, how to change it... i didnt even know that you had to add water to coolant... let alone ripping a whole friggin engine out of a car... even if I do mess up... which i have pretty good feelings i wont.... i think no matter what the outcome is... it is a priceless feeling of pride i now have about my hands on abilities. No mater what the cost it was worth it... You would be suprised how much you can learn on here just by reading things in a few months. thanks to all of you here with all of your help.

As for the other engine... I sold my stock engine... it was in great shape... nothing wrong with it at all... just wanted a car to drive in the mean time... I used the proceeds from that engine to help with my expenses... the way I look at it... if this built engine fails... ive spent so much time, money, and effort on it... im not going back to stock... ill just fix the new one. So there was no logical reason for me to keep it.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
bruschijr

just got a call....

Engine will be in tomorrow!!!
Ill post some pics up when I get a chance!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:06 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

oh and 350zDCalb... Ill write up a quick polishing tutorial when there is a nice sunny day... I was planning to take some pics this weekend, but it rained all weekend here in long island... wouldnt have any nice and shiny pics to show..
please share about the polishing process
Old 06-13-2005, 01:47 PM
dappa

any updates?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:28 PM
bruschijr

Yeah sorry about that guys... I have been so hectic over the last couple weeks... I went on vacation for 2 weeks, at the end of the first week (in Hawaii) I got married. Then we went on a Honeymoon to JAPAN! Kinda dissapointing as i only saw 2 skylines... and they were r33's

Ive been trying to catch up with everything so i havent had a lot of time to write... but I will tell you that I have this put back on the engine so far...

Longblock assembled with timing case..
Jet hot ceramic headers are on and the turbos
Oil Pan
Heater hoses
Crank Pully (UR)
Spark Plugs and Wires
Camshaft Covers
Knock sensor

Thats all I can remember... I have been on a break from it for about a week..
My plans are to have the block put back into the engine this weekend... We are having fathers day at our house so Ill have a whole bunch of help... Im thinking wed, thur, and friday Ill get everything preped to put back in...

And I will catch up with the other requests... Tonight I'll be busy installing a new plasma TV we got as a wedding gift!

Thanks guys...! oh one more thing...

In Japan I saw more mustangs and corvettes and camaro's than japanese sports cars... LOL... and they were all ghettoed out too...
It was hilarious to see a corvette with air shocks bouncing up and down the road pimp style...
Old 06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
failsafe306

Haha, yea, put Dad to work on Father's Day! Lol, that's good. Oh and congrats on the wedding too!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

bruschijr, just PM me with what you want in the first thread and i'll edit the first post. Glad to hear an update!

Last edited by nis350ztt; 06-17-2005 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:24 AM
ken350z

What happen to this guy? I hope he didn't give up.

Quick Reply: How-to: Swap your own built engine - By Bruschijr - Updated: 6.17.2005