Notices

Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^according to that, you can use non-Nissan fluids as long as it is the proper type (GL-5 or GL-4) and weight.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 AM
ladyzed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the differential fluid HAVE to be synthetic?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by ladyzed
Does the differential fluid HAVE to be synthetic?
No, I dont believe so. Its along the same lines of using synthetic in the engine. You dont HAVE to, but its likely better to go ahead and use it.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 PM
KAZ350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know how to replace the diff's seals and have a DIY for it???
Old 04-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by KAZ350Z
anyone know how to replace the diff's seals and have a DIY for it???
What seal are you referring to?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 PM
KAZ350Z

Originally Posted by camaro194
What seal are you referring to?
not exactly sure, but they're the ones on the side i believe. I've been having leaking issues and it might be the problem. I was writing about it in another thread if you look at my posts.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:51 AM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

I've gone through all 15 pages, and there was only one mention of overfilling. I have never done this before, but it seems like over filling would be almost impossible right???? Fill the diff and trans up till it start spilling over out the fill hole right? Just make sure to keep the car level, thats all, right guys?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Monsta

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiSig
I've gone through all 15 pages, and there was only one mention of overfilling. I have never done this before, but it seems like over filling would be almost impossible right???? Fill the diff and trans up till it start spilling over out the fill hole right? Just make sure to keep the car level, thats all, right guys?
You are correct. It is almost impossible to overfill them.

Fill the gear cases until fluid pours back out of them. Allow the fluid to drain back out of the FILL holes then replace plugs.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:37 PM
SponGer

Just did this with Redline fluids in the tranny and diff. Pretty easy, but it sucked having to pump the fluid while on my back.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:05 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Originally Posted by Monsta
You are correct. It is almost impossible to overfill them.

Fill the gear cases until fluid pours back out of them. Allow the fluid to drain back out of the FILL holes then replace plugs.
Thanks for answering my question. Still trying to figure out what to use. I am thinking Redline for the Diff and still kinda up in the air about the trans.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:49 PM
kennedy

Dumb question I know the subaru guys make this mixture called a cocktail for the trans is there anything like that for the Z? If not no big deal just wondering if there is some mixture that is better then just tranny fluid.

Sorry I found it on another website this is what the Subaru guys use.

SOURCE (Taken from Grimspeed performance 7:51 pm 4/3/2008)
Here is the link as well.
http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...molnde8928rc27 .

FINALLY!!!....a place to get all the ingredients for the Transmission Cocktail! This cocktail is the famous tranmission oil mix that many many subaru owners have used to fix that bad shifting/grinding manual transmission.

No more searching around town trying to find all the ingredients and not being able to find them all...GrimmSpeed has them all in stock and ready to ship out to you.

If you'd like a smoother shifting gearbox, this is for you.

Package includes:
1 Pennzoil Synchromesh Quart
2 Castrol Hypoy C 80w90
1 Redline Lightweight Shockproof

Last edited by kennedy; 05-03-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:35 PM
SponGer

Originally Posted by PhiSig
Thanks for answering my question. Still trying to figure out what to use. I am thinking Redline for the Diff and still kinda up in the air about the trans.
Although the shifter sucks in our cars, I did notice a little more smoothness with the Redline fluids.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Swiffer

Just got around to doing this today. DO NOT try and use one of those syphon hoses. Its a pita for the diff, and I didnt even attempt to use it for the transmission. The fluid is way too thick to flow at a decent rate. I only have @25k miles, so I'm going to hold off on the transmission until I pick up a suction gun.

And yea, the differential fluid had a strong smell to it. Didnt smell like sulfer, reminded me of the smell of roller coasters

Oh, and I need to pick up a bigger jack to get the car higher off the ground. My normal jack for oil/tire changes could not get high enough on the jack stands. I had the entire car lifted on the stands, but I needed it to be a few notches higher.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious why is everybody using Redline, Royal Purple etc over OEM? Is there anything wrong with the OEM one? Changing mines tomorrow and I was just going to get OEM for both. Do they even sell any of these at local autozone/oreillys? I don't have time to order.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Just curious why is everybody using Redline, Royal Purple etc over OEM? Is there anything wrong with the OEM one? Changing mines tomorrow and I was just going to get OEM for both. Do they even sell any of these at local autozone/oreillys? I don't have time to order.
I ended up just buying OEM also from Texas Nissan in grapevine...about $9 bucks a quart.

I started this thread looking for local places:
https://my350z.com/forum/texas/360954-where-to-buy-dfw-area-redline-oil.html

I did find that JOTECH did have redline in stock, but they are far from where i live and said nevermind and bought OEM fluids...

- J
Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
quakerroatmeal

Thanks for the response. Jason. Also another question is the manual states GL-5 80w 90. Why is it the closest thing or everything I find (Redline, Royal Purple, Motul, etc) all 75w 90? And why does some product does not specifically say if its GL4 or GL5. I found Motul/Redline at Alamo here in Arlington Jason. I will probably pick up Motul since I don't hear that much great things about Redline.

Edit: I just called Alamo and they want 16$ a quart of Motul, think that sounds bit high. I might just go to Courtesy or Grapevine to pick some up. Stupid nissan local to me said they only sell by "bulk". So is it ok to use a product that says meets both GL4 and GL5 for differential fluid? I take it back I guess differential fluid is a lot more expensive then transmission fluid, aren't they the same? I don't know why nissan does not have the GL5 80w 90 in stock but told me it was 18$ a quart for that. Looks like Motul is back on my list, and OEM Nissan transmission fluid.

Last edited by quakerroatmeal; 05-24-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Amsoil does make GL5 80w90

Reason for something other than OEM is that Amsoil, Redline, motul, et al are a better quality. More temp resistance, and better for your diff and your tranny
Old 05-24-2008, 07:37 PM
KAZ350Z

Originally Posted by Bkennedy
Dumb question I know the subaru guys make this mixture called a cocktail for the trans is there anything like that for the Z? If not no big deal just wondering if there is some mixture that is better then just tranny fluid.

Sorry I found it on another website this is what the Subaru guys use.

SOURCE (Taken from Grimspeed performance 7:51 pm 4/3/2008)
Here is the link as well.
http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...molnde8928rc27 .

FINALLY!!!....a place to get all the ingredients for the Transmission Cocktail! This cocktail is the famous tranmission oil mix that many many subaru owners have used to fix that bad shifting/grinding manual transmission.

No more searching around town trying to find all the ingredients and not being able to find them all...GrimmSpeed has them all in stock and ready to ship out to you.

If you'd like a smoother shifting gearbox, this is for you.

Package includes:
1 Pennzoil Synchromesh Quart
2 Castrol Hypoy C 80w90
1 Redline Lightweight Shockproof
Let us know how that works for you
Old 05-25-2008, 12:54 PM
quakerroatmeal

Just got done changing mines yeterday, used Motul 300 for differential and OEM Nissan MTF for tranny fluid. Shifts very smooth now, the **** used to shake barely when it's in gear and you're driving, now it doesn't even move at all!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Still up in the air about everything after reading this post front to back AGAIN.

Would prefer the redline products, but some people are reporting the MT90 is no good, others say something else. Sounds like the 50/50 mix is working ok.

Now for diff, I still am left up in the air now as well, after seeing some people say the redline diff fluid is no good either.

Anyone running anything they REALLY like alot???

Quick Reply: Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil