Notices

Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 AM
03aeroZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johndoesdamage
I searched and couldnt find the answer. Can you use another oil besides the jmatic one for auto's?
IIRC I don't think so. I swear someone talks about it in this thread.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Maxoblah99

Originally Posted by binder
why did you use 2 quarts MTL and 2 quarts MT-90? why not just all MT-90?
You mix them together to get the right oil weight. The service manual calls for 75w85. Redline MTL is 70W-80 and Redline MT90 75W-90.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxoblah99
You mix them together to get the right oil weight. The service manual calls for 75w85. Redline MTL is 70W-80 and Redline MT90 75W-90.
ya, after reading through i found that. I just ordered MT90 for mine. It's mostly a track car anyways and I will have it stored for the winter.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:59 AM
armintheman

hey guys im new to the z and my z has 30k on it now and i wanted to do the transmission and differential flush. ive read a few pages of this thread but very confused. ive always used royal purple so is it ok to just use the royal purple 75-90 in both the tranny and diff? do i need any additives in either one? how many qts does the tranny hold and how many does the diff hold? my car is 6spd. thanks so much guys!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

about 3.5 quarts trans, almost 2 quarts diff. He lists that in the first post with the DIY.

I did this last thursday. MT90 in the trans and redline gearlube in the diff. I'm surprised, it actually does go into gear smoother now. There isn't a huge magical change but it does seem to help. I went to the dragstrip friday night and slamming through the gears was cleaner. It took away some of the anxiety i have about not getting it into gear when i'm shifting WOT.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read through the entire thread. Thanks a lot to everyone that contributed.

One point, the OP mentions torque values that are different between the Diff and MT fill and drain plugs. The 2006 FSM list 25 ft-lb as the proper torque value for the drain and fill plugs for both the diff and the MT. Must have been a change somewhere long with model line.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update, I have been using Amsoil in my Nismo diff and not having too much luck. I have read alot of post about using Motul to tame the Nismo. Just picked some up from Forged Performance and hopefully this weekend or next get it in. My car is beat on alot, so I understand why I have to change my diff fluid more frequently, I heard that Motul will quiet down the Nismo better than Amsoil. I still use Amsoil in everything else and have for about 10 years, I basically have everyone of there products in everything in my house. Just a little disappointed in there diff fluid, not lasting real long and not quieting down the Nismo diff at all. I did add the additive to the Amsoil, really didn't do much in my opinion, I would not recommend it.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 PM
thinking

Originally Posted by mw9
Update, I have been using Amsoil in my Nismo diff and not having too much luck. I have read alot of post about using Motul to tame the Nismo. Just picked some up from Forged Performance and hopefully this weekend or next get it in. My car is beat on alot, so I understand why I have to change my diff fluid more frequently, I heard that Motul will quiet down the Nismo better than Amsoil. I still use Amsoil in everything else and have for about 10 years, I basically have everyone of there products in everything in my house. Just a little disappointed in there diff fluid, not lasting real long and not quieting down the Nismo diff at all. I did add the additive to the Amsoil, really didn't do much in my opinion, I would not recommend it.
Did you use Amsoil diff fluid before you got the Nismo LSD? If so, did you have the VLSD, and did the Amsoil diff fluid work okay with it?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:00 PM
dmplaya786

any1 happen to know the part # for the crush washers used?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:13 PM
jbh1

Originally Posted by dhays
I've read through the entire thread. Thanks a lot to everyone that contributed.

One point, the OP mentions torque values that are different between the Diff and MT fill and drain plugs. The 2006 FSM list 25 ft-lb as the proper torque value for the drain and fill plugs for both the diff and the MT. Must have been a change somewhere long with model line.
Ok, I did this today, Manual Trans and diff. Went pretty much like clockwork. However when I torqued the diff dain plugs I had a hard time wanting to tighten them that much, but I did to 54 ft lbs. Now I just read this and I have an 2006. They did not strip out or anything but should I loosen them and retorque to 25? I guess I did not read the entire thread before I did this.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 AM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're probably fine. Leave it alone. I tightened those bolts to "arm tight" on my natural torque wrench. I have three settings: hand tight (5-20ft/lbs), arm tight (20-50ft/lbs), and body tight (80-100ft/lbs) lol.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
jbh1

Originally Posted by VQdriver
You're probably fine. Leave it alone. I tightened those bolts to "arm tight" on my natural torque wrench. I have three settings: hand tight (5-20ft/lbs), arm tight (20-50ft/lbs), and body tight (80-100ft/lbs) lol.
Thanks,
I ended up early this morning jacking it back up and loosening the plugs and retorqued to the specs of 25 ft lbs. It was buggin me so I had to do it.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 AM
dhays

Originally Posted by jbh1
Thanks,
I ended up early this morning jacking it back up and loosening the plugs and retorqued to the specs of 25 ft lbs. It was buggin me so I had to do it.
I would jack up the car in a week and check around the plug for any leaks, just to be sure.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:08 PM
jbh1

Originally Posted by dhays
I would jack up the car in a week and check around the plug for any leaks, just to be sure.
Good idea, will do. I checked it out a couple days ago and no issue.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 AM
IN350Z
Banned

are you supposed to fill it until it overflows or 3 1/8 quarts like the capacity says... i only filled about 3 1/8 .. and it wasnt overfillin
Old 12-18-2009, 02:19 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by IN350Z
are you supposed to fill it until it overflows or 3 1/8 quarts like the capacity says... i only filled about 3 1/8 .. and it wasnt overfillin
I filled until it was running out (all over me). I'm not sure if it matters a lot.

Dave
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM
nismospec

checked the search function....not the best.
how often do you need to change your transmission and differention oils?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by nismospec
checked the search function....not the best.
how often do you need to change your transmission and differention oils?
every 30k miles according to nissan service guide
Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 AM
nismospec

Originally Posted by Bevo
every 30k miles according to nissan service guide
thanks. and two points for me for mis-spelling differential....!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 PM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Monsta
Changing Diff/Trans Fluid.
I added a pic of the transmission because it almost the same procedure.

Tools Used
10mm Allen Wrench
Drain pan
Floor jack
Four jack stands or a lift.
Suction Pump/Gun. I bought mine from Advanced Auto for $10.
Harbor Freight has one for $4.99.

Rags
Replacement oil 75W90 about 2 quarts. About 4 quarts for transmission.
Two replacement crush washers.

Update:
Adding the requirements as stated in the 2003 Service Manual
Transmission API GL-4,Viscosity SAE 75W-85
Differential API GL-5, Viscosity SAE 80W-90

Procedure
1. Make sure wheels are blocked.
2. Raise and support car making sure that it is as level as possible.

NOTE: It is better to drain the fluid when it is warm so it flows easier.

3. Using 10mm allen wrench, loosen drain plug and allow diff to drain.
4. Wipe off excess oil from drain plug along with fine metal shavings. Remove old crush washer and install new washer.
5. After diff/trans is drained, reinstall drain plug. 23 - 28 ft-lbs for transmission; 55 - 61 ft-lbs for rear diff.
6. Use 10mm allen wrench to remove fill plug.
7. Remove old crush washer and install new washer onto the fill plug.

NOTE: To fill suction gun, I took off the top, pulled handle out of the gun and poured the oil into it. You could stick the hose into the bottle and suction it out but it wont pick up as much.

8. Using suction gun, fill diff/trans to lower level of fill plug and allow overflow of fluid to drain off.
9. Reinstall fill plug. 23 - 28 ft-lbs for transmission; 55 - 61 ft-lbs for rear diff.
10. Double-check all plugs for correct torque (DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN) and wipe off any excess oil.
11. Lower the car.

NOTE: Since you have the car raised it is a good time to change the engine oil, check your tires for feathering, check your exhaust for leaks and bottoming, check your fuel lines for damage and anything else that may look unusual under your car.

it know it is a stupid question but i have no idea where the transmission plugs are. is it in the front or back? is it close to the oil filter? where are the differential plugs? where to plug suction gun into? suck out or use it to pump fresh fluid in? i am sorry i am a total noob but like to do this type of job. please help clarify please. thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil