Notices

DIY: Ram pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:36 AM
ickysz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Ram pipe

In the next couple of days I will be constructing a Ram pipe(with pictures) behind my grill w/ a 90 degree bend going towards my Injen intake (That I'll be getting in the mail soon), I'm getting this idea from someone who posted a DIY before, making one out of a garbage can, well I've decided to construct it out of pipe, I will be sizing it,cutting it etc... Hopefully this "mod" does improve cold air flow direction, we'll see.

Be looking for it!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Can't wait. The ultimate would be the cool air draw of a cold air intake, with the lowered air resistance of a short ram...
Old 06-27-2007, 02:03 PM
moforose3

Nice, Ive been thinking of doing this. Come on and do it already!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:52 AM
sixsigmalarry

Smile hmmmmm....

I'm looking for it....

Originally Posted by ickysz
In the next couple of days I will be constructing a Ram pipe(with pictures) behind my grill w/ a 90 degree bend going towards my Injen intake (That I'll be getting in the mail soon), I'm getting this idea from someone who posted a DIY before, making one out of a garbage can, well I've decided to construct it out of pipe, I will be sizing it,cutting it etc... Hopefully this "mod" does improve cold air flow direction, we'll see.

Be looking for it!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 AM
sixsigmalarry

Still looking for it.....
Old 07-24-2007, 05:04 AM
FORZWIN

Originally Posted by gothchick
Awesome. Can't wait. The ultimate would be the cool air draw of a cold air intake, with the lowered air resistance of a short ram...
You mean like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-N...QQcmdZViewItem

I run that in conjunction with a drop in filter for the stock airbox and a carbon fiber intake tube. Very clean, works well no problems.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 AM
jtabraham

1 month and no DIY?

What pipe material do you plan on using? What ID and OD? How many bends? How long will the tubing be. Will the the diameter stay constant throughout the piping? Do you plan on using any other cross-sectional shapes in conjunction with your round pipe?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:52 AM
gothchick

Free bump~
Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...why is this in the DIY section...if there is no DIY in here at all. This thread is useless.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM
robertsowka

haha, this probably is the easiest diy mod out there! absolutely no gains though unfortunately... WHERE IS THE WRITE UP?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Mazinger Z

I'm going to make a DIY for a flux capacitator, please look for it in the coming years.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:43 AM
Chad68

No pics LOL so sad.

I just installed my homemade intake ducting tube today. It's already on my car so no pics either LOL. I can post some this weekend though but since it's already mounted ain't a whole lot to see.

What I did was so simple. Takes about 25 minutes start to finish to make and install it.

I bought a non carbon intake duct but have been trying to decide if i want to hack up the bumper or not, so for now I did this mod instead to help get some cooler fresher air to my PC'er. If I do decide to install the intake duct, this same tubing will run off the back of the duct to in front of the filter

All I did was go to Napa Auto parts and pick up a 2" aluminum heat exchanger tube, which was like $3.80 with tax. The tubing is about 10" fully compressed and stretches to about 1.5" feet, which is long enough to go from behind the upper drivers side of the grill opening to the filter. It's like an accordian type tube, like the arms on the Robot from the tv show "Lost in Space" Danger danger Will Robinson.

I spray painted the lower 6" of the tube (inside and out) that goes behind the grill black, so it's invisable behind the grill. I left all the rest of it the natural alumnium color (part that will come out next to the headlight and into the factory inatke hole/opening).

The ghetto diagram I made shows how you would attach the tube to the plastic bracket I made. I just had some 3/16" black plastic laying around and used that.

The green shadded area is where double sided foam tape goes. That whole green area gets attched/stuck to the bottom and back side of the actual metal bumper on the car. Make sure you wipe off any dirt so it sticks good. The tab with the two circles when installed, will be towards the drivers side, just how it is in the diagram. That tab with two circles is where you bolt the black end of the tubing to.

Note. You do not need to remove the bumper and if you have a cooling plate, like I do, you don't need to remove that either to attach it. It might make it easier to remove the cooling plate, but I'm fat and didn't need to go thru the hood latch opening to stick it on the bumper. Just snake the tube with the bracket, foam tape already attached to it (peel the backing strips off the tape before you snake it thru), thru the opening at the bumper and headlight area, down behind the grill.

The 2 small circles on the pics is where I drilled 2 holes and used nuts, bolts and flat washers to attached the tube to the bracket.

You can secure the other end of the tube to the intake opening how ever you want. I just used one of those tiny black paper clip things and then took off the visable arm. Wood screw would work too.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Ram pipe-duct.jpg  
Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Chad68

Heres a pic of the alumimium tubing I used.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Ram pipe-5.jpg   DIY: Ram pipe-6.jpg  
Old 07-03-2010, 12:40 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

bump I'm in the process of doing this myself yet with vacuum tubing I sized everything already just need to remove my bumper tomorrow to fit it in...

I'm sure this doesn't provide any noticable gains at all, but let's think about this

isn't it better to funnel air from point A to B which this mod does rather than leaving it up to the air to find it's way to the airbox which is the stock setup?

my350z can you experts chime in...thanks tomorrow I'll update with pics...
Old 07-03-2010, 10:05 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Default Plain Ole vacuum tubing...

So in my boredom I wanted to kinda improve upon the stock setup...

knowing that the stock airboxes are a great setup on the HR motors along with K&N filters or the HKS dry filters I felt getting more air to them is just stepping it up...

therefore the following...

TOOLS
2 1/2 inch vacuum tubing or tubing of your choosing...

Once you figure that out remove bumper then fit the tubing in the path that the air would normal try to follow...

Pics...

Full front

Right

Left

this is very straight forward...

feedback welcomed...
Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 AM
G4nismo

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
bump I'm in the process of doing this myself yet with vacuum tubing I sized everything already just need to remove my bumper tomorrow to fit it in...

I'm sure this doesn't provide any noticable gains at all, but let's think about this

isn't it better to funnel air from point A to B which this mod does rather than leaving it up to the air to find it's way to the airbox which is the stock setup?

my350z can you experts chime in...thanks tomorrow I'll update with pics...
i mean from what i heard, air finds its way to the scoop pretty well. Air comes in and up the front bumper, over to the scoop and rammed in sorda say. I guess the hood kinda acts as a shield to allow air to pass by but dunno how much more effective those aluminum shrouds are. Whereas if you have a tube setup like you displayed, the air that is sucked in is only limited to the diameter/volume of the tube and my guess is its not going to create much of a ram effect. I see the normal setup (stock) working better b/c its drawing in sufficiently more amount of air, then compressed due to the smaller space up top, and accelerated it into the scoop.

Last edited by G4nismo; 07-04-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Originally Posted by G4nismo
i mean from what i heard, air finds its way to the scoop pretty well. Air comes in and up the front bumper, over to the scoop and rammed in sorda say. I guess the hood kinda acts as a shield to allow air to pass by but dunno how much more effective those aluminum shrouds are. Whereas if you have a tube setup like you displayed, the air that is sucked in is only limited to the diameter/volume of the tube and my guess is its not going to create much of a ram effect. I see the normal setup (stock) working better b/c its drawing in sufficiently more amount of air, then compressed due to the smaller space up top, and accelerated it into the scoop.
...kinda true, and I was trying to just improve air flow. Therefore I started the tube at the point the where the air path gets to 2 1/2 wide this is where my tube starts..

picture above is me cutting away the excess tubing...

I should of tooking more pics but on the passenger side there are some wires in the way and these tubes I would like to say keeps air on it's path. The driver's side aswell has a metal plate in the way...I highly doubt this affects anything, but I bent it out the way allowing the tube to sit in there perfectly.

I wish I had some more tools and time to measure this mod...

Again thanks for the feedback

more is welcomed..
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Patsfan83

Originally Posted by KingBaby
...kinda true, and I was trying to just improve air flow. Therefore I started the tube at the point the where the air path gets to 2 1/2 wide this is where my tube starts..

picture above is me cutting away the excess tubing...

I should of tooking more pics but on the passenger side there are some wires in the way and these tubes I would like to say keeps air on it's path. The driver's side aswell has a metal plate in the way...I highly doubt this affects anything, but I bent it out the way allowing the tube to sit in there perfectly.

I wish I had some more tools and time to measure this mod...

Again thanks for the feedback

more is welcomed..
Does your car run any differently than prior to installing the tube?

This looks like a good idea on paper, Will it work with pop chargers?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by G4nismo
You are on the right track here, corrugated tubing is not good for flow in the first place and the front of the car is well designed to pressurize the air in front of the radiator and force it through the radiator and air intakes. Those rounded squares around the intake holes in the radiator shroud are actually there to smooth the air flow into the box and increase flow.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:18 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This would be a cool idea for cooling the brakes down...

Quick Reply: DIY: Ram pipe