Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

might have to make a purchase
Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way better catch can design than my Cusco. The Cusco is twice the size it needs to be and has no drain or mesh crap for the fumes to collect on and no way to add any.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 AM
iMpLiKaTioN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn i need to consider this now for my z32 lol that thing has a grip of oil inside the manifold.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This has to be the best Catch Can DIY on my350z. Great Job undrgnd
Old 08-20-2009, 06:58 AM
GT-Z

Nice!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 AM
SlipZ

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
This has to be the best Catch Can DIY on my350z. Great Job undrgnd

+11111...its the best i've seen so far!!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:30 PM
clarkkent06

Hey guys, I installed this same catch can on my 2005 G35 Coupe. Install was easy, this DIY was great. Here are some pics of it installed

Name:  DSCN1602.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1604.jpg
Views: 2901
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  DSCN1603.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
N3M3SiS

looks great! cant wait to put mine in tomorrow!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Willfulone

Originally Posted by undrgnd
I recently removed the MREV2 and reinstalled my revup lower plenum. In the process, I discovered where all the oil that my engine 'misplaced' went to. It pooled into several areas on the lower plenum, and from there it apparently was drawn into the engine through the tiny orifices drilled into each runner. I read up on this a little bit and found that several high performance cars, including the S2000 and Corvette, suck a lot of oil through the PCV into the intake manifold at high RPMs. Consequently, there is a number of products specifically made for these cars, to catch the oil that comes out of the crankcase before it gets into the intake manifold.

I ordered a nice billet aluminum unit from Custom Corvette Accessories. There are good pics of the catch can and available accessories on the website. BTW, do NOT get the one for the C6, it uses a custom mounting bracket.

Here's what the 35th Anniversary revup looked like before I started.

P471

The installation is pretty much self explanatory, but I want to mention a couple of things that may make the job even easier. Although it took me over 4 hours, an hour of that was trying to find a place to mount it. Space under the hood comes at a premium. If it weren't for the close quarters, this would be a 20 minute task. Another hour was wasted looking for parts and tools that I dropped through the engine bay. The best place to put the catch can is on the passenger side, using the upper mounting screw for the power steering (PS) reservoir bracket.

The first thing to do is pull off the plastic engine cover so we can get to both ends of the PCV hose and the passenger side body-to-timing cover ground strap.

P472

Next, remove the single screw (P478) on the radiator overflow tank and pull it up and forward so you can get to the ground strap - you don’t need to disconnect the hose to the radiator. The ground strap is attached to the timing cover at two places with one bolt each (P472), and to the passenger side body, underneath the overflow tank, with two bolts through a single lug. The second lug on the timing cover is very hard to see, but you can follow the strap over from the other end, and it’s pretty easy to unbolt. Slide the two clamps off, and remove the PCV hose (P472) that connects the plenum to the PCV on the valve cover.

This is what the area looks like after it’s readied for the catch can.

P476

P478

Remove the top bolt (P478) off of the PS reservoir bracket and slide the rubber grommet off. Slice the grommet in half (but not the metal insert). Insert the original bolt through the metal grommet insert, the first half of the rubber grommet, the catch can bracket, the PS tank bracket, and the second half of the rubber grommet - just 'snug up' the bolt for now. Mount the hose fittings on the catch can using teflon tape - see pic P480 for proper orientation.
You will need to unscrew the bottom of the can in order to slide it into the bracket from the top, then reinstall the bottom. There is an English size allen screw through the back of the bracket to secure the can in place. Finally, tighten the top screw of the PS bracket to the passenger side strut tower.

Measure and cut the length of hose you need, and connect the top can fitting to the PCV. The braided hose looks great, but it is also a royal PITA to work with. I would stick with the standard 3/8" fuel service rubber hose and SS hose clamps instead.

Now we’re almost done, and it looks like this:

P480

P481

Measure and cut hose for the lower can fitting and connect it to the nipple on the front of the lower plenum. Reinstall the ground strap, and route it in front of the catch can (P487), and then across toward the timing cover. Bend the larger lug at the timing cover as necessary, to make the connection easier. Slide the radiator overflow tank into its bracket and secure. If everything is oriented as shown in the pics, no part of the catch can should be touching the strut tower or the PS suction hose.

P482

P483

P487

After driving about 400 miles, which included a lot of 6000+ RPM shifts, I opened the drain valve and some oil trickled out. I unscrewed the bottom of the can and found the inside coated with a light film of oil around the drain valve. It WORKS!

This is an inexpensive, simple mod, and it will keep the intake manifold, combustion chamber, and exhaust piping clean. Especially useful for those of us lucky enough to own a revup with the 'hide the oil' feature. I am very pleased with it. Good luck!
Fantastic write up

Thanks so much for the post and pictures.

We are glad you like it

Regards
Chip

Last edited by Willfulone; 10-29-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:07 PM
RandyK1

I ordered mine today, thanks for posting this. It looks like it will fit better then any of the other ones I have seen.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 AM
06CPV35

Just ordered the blue one. Best fitting one I've seen yet from pix in our cramped engine bays.

'undrgnd':
Awesome find and DIY write-up, thanx
Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
johndoesdamage

If anyone can help I have a question which I think belongs here. I've had a catch can on my car for a while well I decided to change the pcv like 1 week ago.I went to autozone and got a replacement after the install my car started shaking at low rpm. So I opened the hood and saw the sound was coming from pcv I put fingers around it and it vibrated.It made sounds like when you run out of soda in a cup with a straw ha. I dont have any cel but whats weird is when Im on my driveway rpms jump up and down by 200. Could it be that its doing this because its autozone quality and not nissan oem part? It just bothers me that when Im idle I hear that sucking sound at red light Thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 05:08 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A PCV is a one-way valve. Are you positive you have it installed correctly?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:00 AM
06CPV35

My first thought too until I visualized the PCV valve only installs one way on valve cover (threads are only on one side).

I'll say the valve is defective and/or your existing catch can is full causing PCV to chatter.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:06 PM
johndoesdamage

so I replaced pcv and still made the sound. Then I ended cutting off about 5in and it pretty much went away where I don't hear it from inside the car anymore. Im thinking the oem pcv has a weaker spring inside which makes it suck air out fine and the autozone one has a stronger spring which is harder to let air go by? Or my catch can had too much hose in it?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:49 PM
chrisjersey06

I like the look of the one the OP has. Did it come with everything needed? Or did you have the order the fitting and hose at the bottom of the page.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 PM
RandyK1

I just got mine in the mail today. You have to order the fittings and the hose extra.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by chrisjersey06
I like the look of the one the OP has. Did it come with everything needed? Or did you have the order the fitting and hose at the bottom of the page.
Yes. Otherwise you'll get the brass fittings and 3/8" black hose if you don't.

Got mine a few days ago. Well made, looks nice, installing today.

-edit-
Installed:

-edit edit-
A little modification I did to mine:

Now my install 100% done. No copy-cats allowed

Cheers

Last edited by 06CPV35; 11-18-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Installed pix added...
Old 03-25-2010, 04:45 AM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered one and had to mount it on the front of the motor because of my Greddy TT air filter piping. I couldn't use the power steering bracket, the catch can would sit too high.

Ive seen other people use this (front of motor) location but my only concern would be a drop of oil hitting the belt or something.
The following users liked this post:
SponGer (11-03-2015)
Old 03-25-2010, 05:06 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It only drains when you open the valve. If its easily accessible you could just take it out to drain it.

Quick Reply: Another Oil Catch Can DIY - Pix