Notices

Nismo Diff Home Install + pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

^I dont see a front (pinion) oil seal, pinion crush washer for installing the new pinion

Also, since you are doing all that work might as well get new differential cover bolts, less than $10 for all of them.

Obviously your shim thicknesses for the pinion depth and ring gear adjustment will be determined by the combined dimensions of the new diff, ring gear and pinion. So technically you wouldn't know what thickness you need until you actually mock it up.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM
guitman32

Tools: Gear marking compound, dial micrometer with base, beam type torque wrench. A vise to hold the diff for removing the ring gear bolts, slide hammer to remove the old diff from the housing, and a press with compatible adapter to get the bearings onto the new diff.

You dont need to worry about a bearing puller because you arent reusing the old diff or pinion.

Last edited by guitman32; 07-09-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
^I dont see a front (pinion) oil seal, pinion crush washer for installing the new pinion

Also, since you are doing all that work might as well get new differential cover bolts, less than $10 for all of them.

Obviously your shim thicknesses for the pinion depth and ring gear adjustment will be determined by the combined dimensions of the new diff, ring gear and pinion. So technically you wouldn't know what thickness you need until you actually mock it up.
Thanks for that, I realized afterwards that Tomei had those parts listed as necessary replacement parts on their instructions as well, so I'll be sure to jot them down to my list. Also you're right, I'll go ahead and replace the cover bolts while I'm at it.

Can't wait!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 PM
guitman32

Yea you def need the crush sleeve for setting up the pinion preload. Hopefully you wont need a different pinion shim (if the new pinion is machined to spec). There are a lot of factors so just reuse all your existing shims (pinion and side bearing, dont forget to index left right, not only side-to-side but also orientation) and use that as a baseline for your measurements. Do yourself a favor and mic up the old diff so you have something to go off of.

The front seal is cheap like the side seals.

Forgot to mention the FSM clearly calls out to replace the pinion nut.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the Pinion Nut on my list as well, and a new crush spacer comes with the Tomei Pinon, so that's good as far as that goes.

Thanks for the reassuring help guitman!