Notices

DIY - Quaife LSD INSTALL - PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM
starkiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the install, you mentioned you filled it up then took it for a spin. Then drained it and re-filled.

Why?

Instruction card that comes with the diff. doesn't mention needing to "break in" the unit. Did you do this out of habit?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starkiller
After the install, you mentioned you filled it up then took it for a spin. Then drained it and re-filled.

Why?

Instruction card that comes with the diff. doesn't mention needing to "break in" the unit. Did you do this out of habit?
That would be my guess. Quaife does not require a break-in that clutch based diffs do so you don't have to replace the fluid immediately after the initial few hundred miles.

I am actually in the middle of doing mine right now. I pull the pumpkin, took it apart, installed the new LSD and I have it closed up ready to be put back in. I have a couple of things that I think are worth mentioning that I did not see in the DIY:

1. It makes a big difference to drop the swaybar so that you can have better access. I was not expecting this when I started. Just drop it to make room. It's easy enough.

2. I have OEM style TurboXS catback and I decided to disconnect the midpipe to get better access. Add your exhaust to the list of obstacles that you will likely have to take off.

3. I raised my rear end using ramps. That made things more complicated. Why? When I got to disconnecting the axles, I realized that I would not be able to get to the top bolts and I had to rotate each wheel to gain access to those bolts. Can't do that if my car is sitting on ramps. Dough!!! When raising the car, leave the rear wheel free hanging so that you'll be able to rotate them. Lesson learned.

4. When reassembling the drive shaft, make sure that you match the mark on the diff flange to the mark on the drive shaft flange. The FSM mentions this but I don't think I saw it in the writeup. This is important and I think it should be noted.

Overall, the rebuild was fairly easy, aside from a couple of things. The ring gear bolts were a PITA even with an impact wrench. Yes, my impact wrench set to max could not break those things loose. Ridiculous. A breaker bar did just fine, I just had to put my back into it.

Question for you installers, how did you immobilize the Quaife LSD in order to torque down the ring gear bolts? The OEM diff is rectangular so you can just put it in a vice and go to town on it. The Quaife is round which makes that impossible. How did you do it? I got really creative with mine but I am wondering how others did this. Wasn't exactly obvious and other people will likely have issues with this.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 12-30-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 AM
RandomHer0

I bought a huge vice with pipe jaws when I did my Cusco.

Name:  IMG_2096.jpg
Views: 3033
Size:  88.7 KB

Last edited by RandomHer0; 12-30-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

i believe acidjake put his in a vice as well ,then put a pipe into the quaiffe to keep it from spinning.......a pipe in the quaife opening! like shown above..

-J
Old 12-30-2010, 07:31 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

I also didnt have my bearings on when I did mine - was afraid of damaging them while torquing the ring gear bolts..
Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by AcidJake75
I also didnt have my bearings on when I did mine - was afraid of damaging them while torquing the ring gear bolts..
I had mine on already when I was doing the bolts. I ordered the diff weeks ago so I had them pressed on well before I started the job.

Since I didn't have the pipe grip on my vice, here's what I did:

1. I tightened the bolts as much as I could on the bench.

2. I installed the diff in the pumpkin.

3. I locked the rear axle with a big screwdriver to immobilize the ring gear.

4. I tightened the ring gear bolts to spec, in a star pattern, leveraging the weight of the pumpkin and the lock on the diff.

I could not think of anything else. It worked well. I thought of the load I am putting on the gears but they see a lot more torque normally than what I will do here and it's s static load which will not cause issues. Perhaps a good pipe grip for the vice should be included in the DIY.

Anyways, here comes the good part. I finished the install yesterday and took it for a spin. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson: "it's...it's...it's simply astonishing!". What a difference. It's like the car has been transformed. So much more grip. It just inspires confidence in every turn and when you do break loose, it's just so predictable, easy to manage and eager to regain traction. Just amazing. And I did this on my winter tires I can't wait to see when I get my summer wheels back on in the spring. Oh sweet Jesus!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 AM
RandomHer0

^^ thats the first thing I thought when I test drove it for the first time as well. It was so predictable....
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
08sleeperz

OMG!! Just installed my Quaife along with SPL solid diff bushings and like people have said, the difference is night and day. I have a base so I was really missing out. After my exhaust and tune I didn't think my car could get any better...boy was I wrong! However, I have one concern. I now notice a slight humming/woowoo noise when cruising on the throttle and it increases in noise as my speed increases, yet it goes away when I let off the throttle. I know the solid bushings will amplify sound so I'm just wondering if this is normal for the Quaife (gear driven instead of clutches). I did the install myself but I did it at my neighbors transmission shop and he was there to check specs before I put it back in (he's very experienced with diffs) so I'm not too concerned, just wondering if this is common and if it will go away/lessen once the diff breaks in a bit. Other than that I have no complaints what so ever. If anyone is considering this LSD, DO IT! You won't regret it. Thanks for the great DIY, it was great to know what to expect before tackling the project.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 AM
Wu-Watt

I had the same issue and its the bushings. LSD's are the ish!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
I had the same issue and its the bushings. LSD's are the ish!!!
Good to hear I'm not the only one!

Originally Posted by AcidJake75
This is EPIC! glad peops are taking advantage of such a bad a$$ mod!
I was a little iffy at first spending all that money on what I thought was a "little" part. But it couldn't have helped my car more. The car feels so much more solid and more fun and not to mention the power transfer is so much better....if only it wasn't snowing here . Can't wait for the spring to take it around the track! Next up are the subframe bushings and some sways!

Last edited by 08sleeperz; 01-11-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:08 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Thumbs up

I did another last night...

Name:  317575472_photobucket_7439_.jpg
Views: 3069
Size:  47.8 KB
Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I love how the Quaife unit is so small compared to the Open diff. Stashing $ away as fast as I can for this. Already have a spare diff to install it in
Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 PM
pce60

I have a base Z and a LSD is going to be my first mod. Can anyone compare some LSDs who have actually driven them. OS Giken, Nismo, Quaife... keeping in mind the difference in cost. As of now my z is my daily driver. I plan on paying it off as quick as posible (maybe another year) and buying a second car turning the z into more of a track car, but I am also fresh out of college with a lot of bills and loans so this may not happen. Because of this I'm hesitating on going for the more expensive ones. I have been reading a lot but I feel like I can only read so much and need to hear some peoples personal experiences. It sounds like a lot of you have a lot more experience on the track and would like to hear your opinion on how the different brands compare. Any input would be great. Specifics on how each type and brand would be amazing, including how they handle everyday driving because I still have a good bit of time before this car spends the week parked. O, I also don't drift. Thanks.

P.S. I know I'm new and I'm not trying to post a which ones best but this isn't exhaust and since I can't hop in a bunch of cars and get the feel for myself, I want to know if anyone else has been able to get the feel of a few different types.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Dook-E

so in the second pic on the first page, am i just being stupid here or did the Carbonetics LSD come with bearings already installed? or was that pic taken after you had some pressed on? it says PLUG AND PLAY, so im just trying to verify this. thanks.

Jason, since you have done some samples with both the Quaife and the Carbonetics, which do you think is an overall better diff for drifting? which one has a more predictable feel/lockup on the track? my old 180sx used to have a super clunky 2-way in it so im not really worried about DD'ing a clunky diff, im mostly worried about which would be better while drifting.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

2 way hands down....the carbonetics...

much more predictable and confidence inspiring............LOL....ask acidjake what hes switching too currently....LoL..

-J
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Dook-E

ok that's what i figured. Carbonetics it is then.

Originally Posted by Dook-E
so in the second pic on the first page, am i just being stupid here or did the Carbonetics LSD come with bearings already installed? or was that pic taken after you had some pressed on? it says PLUG AND PLAY, so im just trying to verify this. thanks.
^ any insight into this?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
1z33

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA

much more predictable and confidence inspiring............LOL....ask acidjake what hes switching too currently....LoL..

-J
so you like the carbonetics better ?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as posted

Originally Posted by 1z33
Originally Posted by Dook-E

Jason, since you have done some samples with both the Quaife and the Carbonetics, which do you think is an overall better diff for drifting?
Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA

much more predictable and confidence inspiring
Old 03-22-2011, 05:23 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by 1z33
Yes...its BALLER actually..2 way is "THE ONLY WAY" lol

Also Dook-E - my carbonetics did NOT come with bearings. Ive done installs where they did come with bearings. so just check when you order.. usually they do NOT come with them. I just use the OEM ones on the old diff.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
I had mine on already when I was doing the bolts. I ordered the diff weeks ago so I had them pressed on well before I started the job.

Since I didn't have the pipe grip on my vice, here's what I did:

1. I tightened the bolts as much as I could on the bench.

2. I installed the diff in the pumpkin.

3. I locked the rear axle with a big screwdriver to immobilize the ring gear.

4. I tightened the ring gear bolts to spec, in a star pattern, leveraging the weight of the pumpkin and the lock on the diff.

I could not think of anything else. It worked well. I thought of the load I am putting on the gears but they see a lot more torque normally than what I will do here and it's s static load which will not cause issues. Perhaps a good pipe grip for the vice should be included in the DIY.

Anyways, here comes the good part. I finished the install yesterday and took it for a spin. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson: "it's...it's...it's simply astonishing!". What a difference. It's like the car has been transformed. So much more grip. It just inspires confidence in every turn and when you do break loose, it's just so predictable, easy to manage and eager to regain traction. Just amazing. And I did this on my winter tires I can't wait to see when I get my summer wheels back on in the spring. Oh sweet Jesus!!!

Great info here.. thats awesome

Quick Reply: DIY - Quaife LSD INSTALL - PICS!