Notices

5AT to 6MT Swap INFO, ***, DIY, GUIDE Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:44 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

your best buying a 6mt Z if you can. g/z ecu's are different ROMs. Also the key chips wont match up. more trouble than just getting a 6mt Z.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:58 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
your best buying a 6mt Z if you can. g/z ecu's are different ROMs. Also the key chips wont match up. more trouble than just getting a 6mt Z.
Thanks man. I picked up a 6MT 04' Z. Now my tuner gets to do all of the work. Haha.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:39 PM
J_mullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of an issue

Just picked up a m/t to attempt this swap. Once I got home I noticed the harness was cut. How much of an issue will this present, not sure if I absolutely need anything wired up?? Thanks

Are there specific wires I need to worry about in there?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 PM
AbyteZero

It doesn't matter as the harness is the one from your engine if you use MT engine harness... if you use AT engine harness, it will still works but you will have wires not connected and check engine.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Darthnismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I just got my hands on a 350z M/T ECM. I'm planning on getting a M/T engine harness as well. But what I was wondering is if i plug in the M/T ECM and change the engine harness will the car start. I noticed that the clutch pedal has a Clutch Pedal Position (Start) Switch. My questions are as follow : 1) Will the car start even if i dont have that switch on the pedal? 2)Will I have to change the interior harness?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Darthnismo

Bump
Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Darthnismo

Originally Posted by Darthnismo
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I just got my hands on a 350z M/T ECM. I'm planning on getting a M/T engine harness as well. But what I was wondering is if i plug in the M/T ECM and change the engine harness will the car start. I noticed that the clutch pedal has a Clutch Pedal Position (Start) Switch. My questions are as follow : 1) Will the car start even if i dont have that switch on the pedal? 2)Will I have to change the interior harness?
Can someone help me with this?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:12 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Sorry, I just spotted this and have never done such a change, but will attempt to provide some answers. 1) The small clutch pedal position switch is a safety feature and no, the Z will not start unless the switch is "on the pedal". 2) You didn't specify whether your Z is an auto or a m/t, but if it's the former, my guess is, yes you'll need a different interior harness.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Darthnismo

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sorry, I just spotted this and have never done such a change, but will attempt to provide some answers. 1) The small clutch pedal position switch is a safety feature and no, the Z will not start unless the switch is "on the pedal". 2) You didn't specify whether your Z is an auto or a m/t, but if it's the former, my guess is, yes you'll need a different interior harness.
My Z is an Auto so ill need the interior harness. Can i just keep the interior harness and use the M/t speedometer?. Also i was reading from the earlier post that you dont have to wire the switch if you want it to start without pressing the clutch. Is this true?
Old 09-25-2017, 03:59 AM
Darthnismo

Also can i use the 6 m/t ecu with the auto engine harness
Old 09-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Edd132

Default car speed

my g35 is converted to manual and has been for the last year, the car runs fine, but the only issue is that it doesnt pull when i floor it, it just gradually speeds up.

can this be solved by swapping out the ECU to the 6speed ECU ?

I have an 07 DE non-revup.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Darthnismo

Originally Posted by Edd132
my g35 is converted to manual and has been for the last year, the car runs fine, but the only issue is that it doesnt pull when i floor it, it just gradually speeds up.

can this be solved by swapping out the ECU to the 6speed ECU ?

I have an 07 DE non-revup.
I know this may not answer your question but are you using the auto cluster or m/t cluster
Old 09-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Edd132

I know this may not answer your question but are you using the auto cluster or m/t cluster

everything is automatic,

besides the transmission and engine harness.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 AM
Edd132

everything is automatic,

Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Darthnismo

Originally Posted by Edd132
everything is automatic,

Idk if i may be right. But perhaps it may be the ECM. Not so sure. If youre using the manual harness and and auto ecm its probably not getting the signal that youre flooring it. You can buy a manual ecm for cheap on ebay. Thats where i got mine for 80 bucks
The following users liked this post:
Rex(NZ) (10-02-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Edd132

[QUOTE=Darthnismo;10918177]Idk if i may be right. But perhaps it may be the ECM. Not so sure. If youre using the manual harness and and auto ecm its probably not getting the signal that youre flooring it. You can buy a manual ecm for cheap on ebay. Thats where i got mine for 80 bucks[/QUOTE

Thats the same as the ECU right, I plugged it in and the car wouldn’t turn on and it would just crank, so swapped the AT ecu back in.

Tha harness is manual , the auto one wouldn’t let the car turn on first try because the neautral position sensor not being wired up and I didn’t wanna do any wiring in the main computer.

I went to a shop and they told me the fob and the computer had to match the car because then the key wouldn’t program and the computer wouldn’t match the other computers in the car.

Thanks for response.

my car is 07 with DE mon rev-up
so I had to purchase an 04 ecu as the 07 had rev-up

Last edited by Edd132; 10-03-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Darthnismo

[QUOTE=Edd132;10918519]
Idk if i may be right. But perhaps it may be the ECM. Not so sure. If youre using the manual harness and and auto ecm its probably not getting the signal that youre flooring it. You can buy a manual ecm for cheap on ebay. Thats where i got mine for 80 bucks[/QUOTE

Thats the same as the ECU right, I plugged it in and the car wouldn’t turn on and it would just crank, so swapped the AT ecu back in.

Tha harness is manual , the auto one wouldn’t let the car turn on first try because the neautral position sensor not being wired up and I didn’t wanna do any wiring in the main computer.

I went to a shop and they told me the fob and the computer had to match the car because then the key wouldn’t program and the computer wouldn’t match the other computers in the car.

Thanks for response.

my car is 07 with DE mon rev-up
so I had to purchase an 04 ecu as the 07 had rev-up
So all you have to do now is just have your key fob programmed to your car. If you dont mind can you message me on Instagram i would like to ask you some questions. My Instagram is @darthnismo
Old 10-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Jonp

I'm getting a motor out of a auto g35 for my 350z there isn't a difference in the motor is it I can't seem to find any info on it any help is greatly appreciated just want to make sure before I go buy the motor
Old 10-15-2017, 12:02 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonp
I'm getting a motor out of a auto g35 for my 350z there isn't a difference in the motor is it I can't seem to find any info on it any help is greatly appreciated just want to make sure before I go buy the motor
The crankshaft is different in the back from what I have seen. I'm not sure if there is a steel bushing in there or not but I've had to turn the outside of 6mt pilot bushings down to get them to fit in there properly. If there's a better way someone let me know! Haven't had any issues doing this.

Other than that you're good. The starter may be on the other side but just switch it over. Assuming it isn't a AWD automatic, if it is move on. The upper oil pan is different to accommodate the half shafts and front differential.
The following users liked this post:
Jonp (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Jonp

So the crankshaft is different then and that's it

Quick Reply: 5AT to 6MT Swap INFO, ***, DIY, GUIDE Thread!