Notices

DIY: Speedometer corrector

Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 AM
emas9420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Speedometer corrector

After searching for long, i never found anyone putting a speedo corrector on a 350z; so i tried tackling it myself and this is what i found.

I bought a SpeedoDRD from 12oclocklabs. it is the U1 universal kit that comes with just 4 wires.
it is the only one i tried so im not sure if there are better ones than this, but this one works greats.

First, there are two ways of hooking this up. Where the gauges are, or the a/c box / unified meter under the radio. I hooked it up on the unified meter because it was way easier to get to and i knew exactly which cable to use.

To get to the box, unscrew the shifter (the leather one), and lift up the shifter bezel (to do this just dig your hands under it at the 6 o'clock position and pull up. once that is done, unhook the a/c and hazard lights for more space.

Now,you should see a white box under the radio that is only held in with two Philips screws. once the screws are removed, pull the box forward and unplug the three plugs in the back. Remove the box, and look at the very end, and youll see these three plugs are attached to the same metal piece holding the box, undo the clip, it makes the job easier.

At this point, you have three plugs, a white one (left) a small gray (middle) large gray(right). we are going to be using the middle one.

The speedodrd says to use the speed sensor ground and power, we dont need that, we can just hook it up to any 12v source and ground. I used the big red cable and the black one. they both send power/ground to the box so it works when the key is in ON position.

after you have those hooked up,we have to cut the signal wire in half.
The signal wire is the 3rd wire from the left on the top. it is the only fully white cable and it is near the middle of the plug. (if you need the pin number i can look it up).

After cutting that cable, we will need to hook the blue wire from the speedodrd, to the white one going/coming from the harness, and the other cable from the speedodrd goes to the white wire going to the box. do not permanenately connect until you are sure its hooked correctly, to find out just make sure its connected and drive, if you see the speedo working, its hooked up right.

after splicing everything in, tuck everything back in, and follow the directions on the paper. the instructions they send you will guide you to setting the percentage .

NOTE: since its for a car, the speedodrd will not flash when the key is ON. but as long as speedo works, it should be working.

i found out this does not mess with ABS or VDC so no need to worry
Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Kudos to you for having the ***** to try this, and I'm happy that it worked out for you. Still not sure why that white box under the radio is even involved, but if it works, what can I say? Were you able to get an accurate setting? What did you use as a reference; GPS, a measured mile, something else?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM
emas9420

Originally Posted by dcains
Kudos to you for having the ***** to try this, and I'm happy that it worked out for you. Still not sure why that white box under the radio is even involved, but if it works, what can I say? Were you able to get an accurate setting? What did you use as a reference; GPS, a measured mile, something else?
Yeah extremely accurate, works great. I used a gps and then I pulled next to a friends new nissan altima and it was spot on.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Shane86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just completed this same modification, big thanks for the information as it works great.
I took the liberty of doing a bit more of a write up + pictures on my blog.

http://350z.shane86.com/2014/06/15/q...ter-corrector/
Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 PM
emas9420

Originally Posted by Shane86
I just completed this same modification, big thanks for the information as it works great.
I took the liberty of doing a bit more of a write up + pictures on my blog.

http://350z.shane86.com/2014/06/15/q...ter-corrector/
Hey man I'm glad I could help. I saw your blog and the post is great. Really happy I was useful.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM
blufc3s

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up guys. This is exactly what I need.
I have a USA car and live in Canada so constantly doing mph to kph conversions in my head.
My question is, what affect does it have on the odometer?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM
emas9420

Originally Posted by blufc3s
Great write up guys. This is exactly what I need.
I have a USA car and live in Canada so constantly doing mph to kph conversions in my head.
My question is, what affect does it have on the odometer?
Thanks
To be honest I'm not exactly sure what the mph to kph conversion will do to the odometer... I'm sure if you look that up on any forum where people do this to their bikes you will find the answer. My guess is that since there is a setting for mph to kph. The odometer will still read in miles ... If you only adjust with percentage, the odometer will change with the corresponding speed to read accurately.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:34 AM
blufc3s

I've got one on order, so will find out.
Thanks
Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM
blufc3s

Installed mine today,works great. Did the mph to KMs coversion,showed 102 on gps, 100 on speedo. Did a positive 2% adj and dead on. The odometer also measures in KMs .
It took me about 3 hours to take it apart, solder, heat shrink, tape, put it together ,road test, and final adjustment, but I am slow.
For anyone using the FSM the helpful pages are DI-9, DI-11,DI-12 and PG-71.
PG-71 is marked up below.
Thanks again to everyone who contributed.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Speedometer corrector-image.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 11:26 AM
ChuckE

Default Cruise control

Thanks Emas and Shane for the great info on wiring. I used it to install a cruise control on my 2007 350Z base model. If anyone wants to do the same you can get a Gold Cruise cruise control form Conrad Anderson in the UK:

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/pro...ew/cc174910103

I elected to install this instead of trading my car for a 350Z GT because my car has only 22,000 miles on it. Honestly, Nissan never should have offered this base trim model without cruise or limited slip differential on one of their most expensive cars. I don't need cruise control most of the time, but when I have to make a trip lasting three hours or more, it's really handy to have.

Conrad Anderson gave me the option of a dash-mount command module, which I installed in the centre console where the dummy switch plate is (photo below).

I appreciate Emas' and Shane's posts because the installation instructions that came with the Gold Cruise weren't very good. Shane's blog post was especially helpful. I attached the blue speed signal wire of the Gold Cruise to the white wire on the car, mentioned above, and the orange power wire to the green/yellow on the car. The clutch switch that was supplied to me has a rubber boot over the terminals, which caused the terminals to bend toward each other and short out. I removed the boot, wrapped tape around the terminals and replaced the boot. It worked fine after that.

Other than a brief burst of acceleration and slowing upon engaging the cruise, it seems to work well. I only tested it twice so far though. The lighting on the command module even matches the orange lighting on the dash.

Here's a video of how to remove the centre part of the dash (not my video):
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Speedometer corrector-command-module.jpg  

Last edited by ChuckE; 11-16-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Luciiifer

Great guide does anyone know if i can get a RPM signal to my Windowswitch there?
Old 03-25-2016, 04:13 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the write-ups and info everyone. Neat little mod. This does effect the odometer. I did a pre and post test. The distance was adjusted by the amount of speed correction.. in my case -5.6%.

I drove a simple route that measured 5.2 (almost 5.3) miles on my trip odometer prior to connecting and configuring the SpeedoDRD. The same route measured 4.9 miles after.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:04 AM
flashground

How does it convert mph to kph? can i do it without SpeedoDRD?? maybe connect two wires together...
Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 AM
blufc3s

I did the mph to kph conversion to my old 350z
Here is the PDF that explains how to do it.

http://www.12oclocklabs.com/manuals/...0(English).pdf

Last edited by blufc3s; 09-19-2016 at 10:57 AM.