Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

LS 350z engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 02:49 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by DracoUchiha
I have considered a lowmile de and maybe throw some bolt ons on it but im not looking for professional help
Fine- but unless you have the requisite mechanical skills (not to mention the tools and a garage), some professional help will get the car up and running a lot faster than you trying to figure it out. We've had quite a few wannbes on here who've had threads like this and disappeared for months as they realized they were in over their heads.
The following users liked this post:
bmccann101 (09-05-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:50 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Fine- but unless you have the requisite mechanical skills (not to mention the tools and a garage), some professional help will get the car up and running a lot faster than you trying to figure it out. We've had quite a few wannbes on here who've had threads like this and disappeared for months as they realized they were in over their heads.
spot on.. i got way over my head.. but.. I still got it to the home stretch now at least though.. learned a lot.. like what its like to spend 40k i didnt have, and what its like to have a car on jack stands for three years.. again lol.

but the actual mechanical skills learned have been priceless.. not something for the average bear though, nor someone who actually wants to drive the car again somewhat soon.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:09 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,295 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
spot on.. i got way over my head.. but.. I still got it to the home stretch now at least though.. learned a lot.. like what its like to spend 40k i didnt have, and what its like to have a car on jack stands for three years.. again lol.

but the actual mechanical skills learned have been priceless.. not something for the average bear though, nor someone who actually wants to drive the car again somewhat soon.
You may have gotten in over your head on quite possibly the nicest LS swap I’ve ever seen … You may have dropped $40 on it but it looks like $80 …

And I agree on the ‘what you learn’ aspect of it - ‘The journey is the reward’

I have a similar themed story (which continues) that I dont know I would trade for anything …

These types of builds are for people who enjoy the ‘process’ of a build … the planning, the budgeting, the compiling of parts, the building, the trips to the machine shop, the ‘fed ex just delivered your XYZ, the installing, the shake-down, the breaking stuff, the fixing stuff, and eventually the joy of success…

If you are someone who just wants a fast car than absolutely, unequivocally, do not do this … In the world of instant gratification, instant results, flash-bang of social media this is not for you…

These are not ‘microwave’ builds, they are the ‘slow-cooker’ of slow cookers …

Your best bet is to do what DK Mura suggests and find a professional to drop in replacement engine from a salvaged car.
bmccann101 (09-05-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 01:51 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,112 Likes on 6,567 Posts

i mean technically its an LT swap....
bmccann101 (09-05-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 07:25 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,279 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
You may have gotten in over your head on quite possibly the nicest LS swap I’ve ever seen … You may have dropped $40 on it but it looks like $80 …

And I agree on the ‘what you learn’ aspect of it - ‘The journey is the reward’

I have a similar themed story (which continues) that I dont know I would trade for anything …

These types of builds are for people who enjoy the ‘process’ of a build … the planning, the budgeting, the compiling of parts, the building, the trips to the machine shop, the ‘fed ex just delivered your XYZ, the installing, the shake-down, the breaking stuff, the fixing stuff, and eventually the joy of success…

If you are someone who just wants a fast car than absolutely, unequivocally, do not do this … In the world of instant gratification, instant results, flash-bang of social media this is not for you…

These are not ‘microwave’ builds, they are the ‘slow-cooker’ of slow cookers …

Your best bet is to do what DK Mura suggests and find a professional to drop in replacement engine from a salvaged car.
I'm one of those "process" guys. So much so that I usually sell my cars when I hit a modding "wall" and start over with a new project. This is what happened with my Z. I did every mod that didn't require removing the engine or forced induction, then traded it in.

Originally Posted by travlee
i mean technically its an LT swap....
According to GM, the LT is an "LS family" engine.