Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Interior Noise Increased After Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 05:45 AM
kinjal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Interior Noise Increased After Window Tinting

I got my windows tinted about a week and a half ago. the tint job looks amazing... very good work. but the other day, while i was switching cds and for once there was no music in the car.... i noticed that there was alot more noise in the interior before. it sounds like the windows are not fitted correctly, and there is a tiny gap in them which is allowing for wind to travel into the car when im flying down the highway. what should i do? should i goto the nissan dealership and have them take care of it? or should i go back to the guy who tinted my windows and have him take care of it? advice needed!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:16 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know of any thing a tinter could have done to mess your windows up and cause more noise .But I would take it the dealer and show them the problem . They should adjust the window
Old 12-26-2004, 07:29 AM
kinjal

i was thinking it could have been from when they do the rear quarter windows...
Old 12-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Road Warrior

the dealer should adjust your windows...its an easy fix and i don't think you will have a problem just because they are tinted. i had a similar issue where my window would not go all the way up and i took it to the dealer, the hooked up to the computer, made the adjustments and problem was fixed fast and easy while you wait....thats what i would recommend
Old 12-26-2004, 01:51 PM
ssc

i dont know if you know this but the side windows pull down automatically a little bit every time you open the door so that when you close them, the windows dont get damaged or something.
so maybe that tiny little area that the installer could not get to is causing more air to get in the cabin.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:55 PM
kinjal

it sounds like it is coming from the rear quarter windows more than the side windows... does that mean anything different? should i goto the dealer?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:35 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they do nothing to your quarter windows. they dont rmeove them or anything. regular windows, its possible, but not likely.

in all, Id guess your just now noticing the noise, not that its new. cant hurt to take it in, but 1 word about tinting and they wont even look at it. theyll blame it on the tinters without even looking to see if theres a problem at all.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:24 PM
dkny_boi

I didn't even think that the tinters would remove the windows to tint them.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:19 PM
kinjal

to be honest.. i dont even remember what the hell they did. it was 10pm at night, and i had to drive an hour to get there straight after work. i was dead tired, and the sad part is that i was watching him do the tint. i think i went brain dead for the hour. so i guess i will be taking it into the dealer to see what they say. i think it may be possible that i am "just noticing" the noise now... but i dunno. do you guys here the sound of air coming through the windows when u are driving more than 65? its not deafeningly loud... but when the radio is off, its noticable. i guess i will be taking it to the dealer this week.

what do i say to the dealer? should i just tell them that i am hearing some noise from the windows and there may be a leak? thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 12-26-2004, 10:30 PM
ares
Veteran

Id venture to say removing the quarter panel windows would be a VERY complicated process to say the least. that is sealed in there; not just screwed in.

side windows seal with the door. they may have disabled this function in order to keep the window all the way up to do the tint with the door open. perhaps this in some way is causing some problems. with the door closed, see if you can push the window closed any with your hand. might have just gotten thrown off, not that itd be a permanent fix, but you could see if it is that the window isnt sealing fully, or if its you.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:40 AM
BOOPZ

Originally posted by ssc
i dont know if you know this but the side windows pull down automatically a little bit every time you open the door so that when you close them, the windows dont get damaged or something.
yeah your right^ But it doesnt crack to make sure the window doesnt get damaged when you close the door.

It cracks so that its easier to close the door, and to release cabin pressure.

And to the problem this guy is having. I think i have noticed a very slight wind noise on the highway as well. I would say its just normal. But i would take it in, i would say if anything its just that function of the window popping up is just out of wack somehow.

here, try this......stand outside your car and close the door. See if you notice anything about the window not popping up all the way.
When you open the door the window SHOULD come down a tad....then when you close it, it should go up a tad.
Its possible its nto going all the way up.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:00 PM
dkny_boi

Actually, making it easier to close the door and release cabin pressure is a good side effect of the windows dropping a bit when you open/close. The windows go up pretty high/tight for a good seal and no noise, but if you did close the door and the windows didn't drop you'd more likely damage the top part of the body (chip/scratch the paint too) going over the window, than you would the window itself.

I'm with ares, i think there's something to do w/ that up/down mechanism cuz they had to have done something to disable it otherwise if they tint your door windows with it slightly down, everytime you close your doors there'll be a small un-tinted gap at the bottom.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:26 PM
kinjal

they removed the door panels during the tinting... wouldnt that eliminate the small untinted gap at the bottom?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:42 PM
kinjal

ares... i tried what u said... the window is going up all the way. looks like i will be going to the dealer to fix this problem.... should i just tell them that there seems to be a leak in the windows because i can hear alot of wind interference while i am driving?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:12 PM
BOOPZ

Originally posted by dkny_boi
Actually, making it easier to close the door and release cabin pressure is a good side effect of the windows dropping a bit when you open/close. The windows go up pretty high/tight for a good seal and no noise, but if you did close the door and the windows didn't drop you'd more likely damage the top part of the body (chip/scratch the paint too) going over the window, than you would the window itself.

highly doubtful....the window, even when all the way up, doesnt come close to hitting the paint.

and if they took your door panels off than they more than likely didnt mess with the up down mechanism.

Let us knwo what the dealer says.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:57 AM
silverstoneTT

Kinjal, Ive had the same problem for about a year and a half. If it is coming from the small rear window, it is probably the plastic surrounding it. If you have someone sit in the passenger seat and put pressure on it while your driving and hear the wind noise (its on the passenger side in my case), youll see that the noise will leave. It would seem that the wind noise is behind the panels and if theyre not fitted properly, it leaks out and makes the noise.

With that, good luck! I haven't been able to get rid of it completely.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:19 PM
tonester1011
CF God

Ive seen one of my friends put tint on this car and when he did it he took the little black sensor off of the inside of the door jam so that when he closed the door while he was tiniting the window wouldnt go up that little bit that it does... then when he was done he put the black piece back in place...its possilble that that piece could be messed up somehow or not in right
Old 12-29-2004, 02:48 PM
kinjal

Default EXACTLY!

Originally posted by silverstoneTT
Kinjal, Ive had the same problem for about a year and a half. If it is coming from the small rear window, it is probably the plastic surrounding it. If you have someone sit in the passenger seat and put pressure on it while your driving and hear the wind noise (its on the passenger side in my case), youll see that the noise will leave. It would seem that the wind noise is behind the panels and if theyre not fitted properly, it leaks out and makes the noise.

With that, good luck! I haven't been able to get rid of it completely.
that is the exact same problem i have had! it is not the front windows. it is the rear quarter windows. did yours arise after tinting the windows? i am pretty sure that is when my car started to have a louder interior. i am wondering whether i should goto the tinter or to the dealer to have it looked at. i would prefer to goto the dealer and see what they can do. have you had someone look at the windows (dealer or tinter)? it pisses me off because i bought my car a month ago. the first mod i didnt do myself was the tinting. as soon as the tints go on, i have a problem. it pisses me off that my new 30K+ car has more interior wind noise than my old 93 corolla. everytime im in my car i keep the music up so i dont hear the noise.. because i am so friggin aggravated. what should i do?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:50 PM
orhanz33

i've read someone dynomatted the interior of thier car, and it made a huge difference... i doubt this'll do anything for windnoise, but should make the interior noise much more tolerable
Old 12-29-2004, 09:06 PM
ares
Veteran

the windows dont go down for cabin pressure, or to clear the metal(maybe slightly for the latter, but it will open and shut alright without it).

for a good seal, it cant just close against the seal, it needs to really push into it. going down and up just lets this happen.

Quick Reply: HELP! Interior Noise Increased After Window Tinting