Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to upgrade stock HID's

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:25 PM
frostyrock7c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to upgrade stock HID's

Hey guys, I read a few posts about upgrading HID's. I have a DB Z and I'm looking for a slightly "blue-er" look, I had 9000K's in my last car and I loved them, but I think the Z needs something a little less. Anybody recommend a temp/brand? And are they really just plug and play?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have a DB Z. When I got it almost 2 years ago, I wanted an HID to mtach the color better. I bought some 7000K bulbs off of a guy that is now out of business. Anyways everybody said "you'll lose light, dont do it, those bulbs are cheap they wont last"...I also aimed the lights up, which helps tremedously a you've already noticed they are too low from the factory. Anyways, I use my HID's as daytime runnin lights cuz I love the looks I get with them, and they stil havent burned out after 23 months. Look @ my avatar pic, I took that while warming up my car after a snow storm(after the HID's color stabilized)-if you like that color-try to find some 7000K, if you want it a little bluer look for some 6000K. I know that pic is small, but in real lif they are kina purplish, they match DB perfectly. And it only take 5 min to change them, just jack up the car, take off the front wheels, remove the inner plastic fender lining(like 3 or 4 screws), pull back and replace the bulb.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:56 AM
frostyrock7c

Thanks, do you know where I could pick some up, since the guy you bought your's from is out of business?

Originally posted by Alberto
I too have a DB Z. When I got it almost 2 years ago, I wanted an HID to mtach the color better. I bought some 7000K bulbs off of a guy that is now out of business. Anyways everybody said "you'll lose light, dont do it, those bulbs are cheap they wont last"...I also aimed the lights up, which helps tremedously a you've already noticed they are too low from the factory. Anyways, I use my HID's as daytime runnin lights cuz I love the looks I get with them, and they stil havent burned out after 23 months. Look @ my avatar pic, I took that while warming up my car after a snow storm(after the HID's color stabilized)-if you like that color-try to find some 7000K, if you want it a little bluer look for some 6000K. I know that pic is small, but in real lif they are kina purplish, they match DB perfectly. And it only take 5 min to change them, just jack up the car, take off the front wheels, remove the inner plastic fender lining(like 3 or 4 screws), pull back and replace the bulb.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Sully

Alberto,

Approx: how high did you raise the horizontal level of the HID's? I just installed mine this weekend, and i notice they are a bit lower, at most rear bumper levels.

Thanks

Sully
Old 02-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Sully
Alberto,

Approx: how high did you raise the horizontal level of the HID's? I just installed mine this weekend, and i notice they are a bit lower, at most rear bumper levels.

Thanks

Sully
I dont have any measurements sorry. All I can tell you is when Im on a very dark road they illuminate far enough to where my field of vision is-whereas before I used to get pissed cuz I always look kinda far ahead, and the lights would cut out before that. They dont shine into oncoming traffic though, I just made adjustments on level ground, took it for a spin, and adjusted accordingly.

frostyrock- try www.hidexpress.com
www.plasmagarage.com www.eautoworks.com those are a few places I know sell bulbs, your gonna need D2R bulbs because you already have factory HID's. Look for something like 6500-7000K, I think thats a great match to DB. HTH
Old 03-02-2005, 07:33 PM
wa350z

Can someone send me a link to were we can buy hids for or 350z, im only looking for new bulbs i already have the hids in my performance model thanks alot