Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seibon Carbon Fiber Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 PM
HankVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seibon Carbon Fiber Hatch

Does anyone have any info. on Seibons Carbon fiber hatch for the Z like how much it weighs with glass installed vs. stock hatch?

Here it is but they don't give any info. Sure looks nice.

http://www.seibon.com/pdut_detail_pic2.asp?ItemID=325
Old 03-15-2005, 07:58 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure on any of the info, but if you were gonna replace your hatch instead of replacing the glass you'd be better off replacing the glass with lexan or something of that sort.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight savings is around 40lbs so i'm sure it is dry carbon fiber, not sure how much it costs, it'll probably be cheaper than Varis though. I agree about the window. I wish F-A-L would get on the ball and make 350Z and G35 owners a lightweight window set.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:41 AM
amai21

I am also very interested in installing one too. Anybody have one installed? Pictures? Also, was the oem glass used or light weight replacement? Thank you.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by amai21
I am also very interested in installing one too. Anybody have one installed? Pictures? Also, was the oem glass used or light weight replacement? Thank you.
you can;t use the stock glass, well you can but it would take some much time and effort to put it on the CF that its just better to used a plastic or lexan of some sort. the real weight savings comes from the glass, light, wiper and motor really. if you decide to buy the CF and put all that on the Cf you wont see but maybe a 10lb lost in weight.

id buy the CF hatch and just put some lexan windows in, use it for a race then install my oem peice for safety and daily driving.

john
Old 03-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Losing Grip II
you can;t use the stock glass, well you can but it would take some much time and effort to put it on the CF that its just better to used a plastic or lexan of some sort. the real weight savings comes from the glass, light, wiper and motor really. if you decide to buy the CF and put all that on the Cf you wont see but maybe a 10lb lost in weight.

id buy the CF hatch and just put some lexan windows in, use it for a race then install my oem peice for safety and daily driving.

john
You can use the stock window. The 40lbs. loss is compared to stock (without glass and rear wiper and etc. in).
Old 03-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

It just came out so I doubt anyone has it.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:39 AM
thawk408

What is dry carbon? Is there a wet?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 AM
KA24DET

Default SEIBON Carbon Fiber rear hatch...

the SEIBON carbon Fiber rear hatch weights about 50% less compare to the Stock rear hatch. I have the Carbon rear hatch w/Lexan window. email me for pictures or you can click on the link below...

http://brs-autodesign.com/events/thumbnails.php?album=7

Last edited by KA24DET; 03-16-2005 at 09:43 AM. Reason: need to add more text
Old 03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by thawk408
What is dry carbon? Is there a wet?
Dry or wet depends on how it is made. Dry carbon is the lightweight carbon fiber, wet carbon fiber is just another material with carbon fiber over it.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by KA24DET
the SEIBON carbon Fiber rear hatch weights about 50% less compare to the Stock rear hatch. I have the Carbon rear hatch w/Lexan window.
Do you know how much it is and/or who has it? How much did the Lexan window cost?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:03 AM
KA24DET

Default Seibon Hatch

MSRP on the SEIBON Rear Hatch is $1000.00 and I paid $30.00 for the Lexan. I did the install and the cutting of the Lexan myself.

Last edited by KA24DET; 03-16-2005 at 10:03 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 03-16-2005, 10:19 AM
amai21

Could I use the original glass?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
You can use the stock window. The 40lbs. loss is compared to stock (without glass and rear wiper and etc. in).
so therefore you would be defeating the purpose of buying a CF hatch (for weight loss) if you added the stock glass, wiper, wing, light, ect.

however there are those of you that buy CF for the simple reason to have CF or because you do it for looks. in that case why wouldnt u just get someone to lay Cf over the stock hatch and call it a day.

john
Old 03-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Losing Grip II

Could I use the original glass?
probably, but why? you would lose you weight savings.

john
Old 03-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

so therefore you would be defeating the purpose of buying a CF hatch (for weight loss) if you added the stock glass, wiper, wing, light, ect.

however there are those of you that buy CF for the simple reason to have CF or because you do it for looks. in that case why wouldnt u just get someone to lay Cf over the stock hatch and call it a day.

john
What is the stock material? I doubt it is fiberglass or urethane which means it isn't as light as CF.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
What is the stock material? I doubt it is fiberglass or urethane which means it isn't as light as CF.
well the hood on the Z is aluminum, but that doesnt mean the truck is. therefore if i took an educational guess as to what the truck is, id say the same material as the doors and fenders. (i think thats a mixture of aluminum and steel). i could be wrong. if i had a magnet i could tell u if it were steel or aluminum (or anything other than steel*).

despite whatever weight savings you do get, how you then justify a weight loss of maybe twenty pounds, saying you add oem glass,wiper, light, ect, for 600+ bucks? but maybe then thats why so many people find replacing the hood on our cars to be a good mod. our aluminum hoods are within POUNDS of a CF hood (oem).

john

CORRECTION: you would probably shed like five pounds. what makes the rear hatch so heavy is the glass, wiper, wiper motor (weighs a lot), light, de fog,ect. leaving all that off and adding just lexan windows is when, i would assume, you would see a good amount of weight savings.

Last edited by Losing Grip II; 03-16-2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:26 PM
HankVQ

I'd be willing to bet if it's dry carbon and you added the stock glass but left out the wiper, light, and the interior panel you would still see a considerable weight savings and add some looks as well IMO.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:30 PM
KA24DET

Default Seibon rear hatch

john
totally agree... adding the stock window will definitely be defeating the purpose of buying the CF hatch. why even bother buying a CF hatch
Old 03-16-2005, 03:28 PM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

john
In the same light...then why dont you just pop out your rear windhield, replace with lexan, plug your rear wiper and remove the counterweight? Plenty of people buy CF hatch because they like the look, weight savings as an added bonus...just didnt think the flaming was necessary. my .02

Quick Reply: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hatch