Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INGS Full Poly Front Bumper ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 PM
basam350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INGS Full Poly Front Bumper ????

I'm thinking of getting the INGS Full Poly front bumper and buying the Nismo replica sides and rear "things", because I don't want to deal with the hassle of a full rear bumper (Cost etc).

First question is for those who have had the Ings poly installed, will I see a cost savings on paint and install? What has been your experience with it, as far as fitment and finish? I know the fiber glass one takes some TLC to get it right.

Does anyone have he Nismo Sides and rear with this bumper? I'd really like to see how it looks.

Thanks all!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
basam350z

Anybody with the poly?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:07 PM
funkdamonkman

I am having the Poly installed ATM, and it fits great. It will save money on prep and install, but not on the actual painting.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:11 PM
tabrizio

why dont you get a replica kit for 699?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funkdamonkman
I am having the Poly installed ATM, and it fits great. It will save money on prep and install, but not on the actual painting.
but most body shop will charge the flat rate fee.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Tantrum Z33

I don't think the Nismo sides and rear with look good with the Ings+1 front because it will sit lower than the Nismo pieces.

If a fiberglass bumper is made pretty decent, a urethane bumper will cost about the same to paint. Urethane also needs prep work and more flex additive which brings the cost up to about the same as painting a fiberglass bumper.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:08 PM
basam350z

Someone told me that I could get the Poly bumper painted without it even being fitted on the car. Don't know if that's true. I also heard that the poly bumper moves around in the wind and will need some supports custom made. That true????

Originally Posted by Queenz350Z
I don't think the Nismo sides and rear with look good with the Ings+1 front because it will sit lower than the Nismo pieces.

If a fiberglass bumper is made pretty decent, a urethane bumper will cost about the same to paint. Urethane also needs prep work and more flex additive which brings the cost up to about the same as painting a fiberglass bumper.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:12 AM
valdeztke

Yes the poly bumper flexes but I wouldnt say it move around in the wind..

Also the pores in the poly are much larger therefore requiring more attention to painting ( pin holes are common ) also there is much more flex additive that must be added.

All in all though the first time you bump into something with it ...that extra cost just paid for itself...if it was fiberglass you would be picking up shards of your bumper all over the road where as poly ...ya may chip a lil paint

Ah the joys of poly!!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you never paint anything, not even an OEM piece, without test fit and prep first

Urethane is far less costly to paint than most fiberglass....most times fiberglass pieces need a fair amount of sanding, sometimes a new gel coat, cracks/chips to be filled, etc. Good urethane can most times be scuffed, cleaned, sanded and painted. Many times people will say they had a great deal on getting fiberglass painted...and then you see it in person and there are more waves than the ocean; all depends how **** you are. Case in point: I spent alot of money on a genuine Balsarini rear spoiler for my own car. I paid full retail as it was the only item I got (we did not do the buy in). When it arrived, it fit on the car nicely, but needed alot of prep work. We literally spent 7 hours....HOURS sanding the wing to the point where it was even acceptable for paint......if I were paying a body shop to do this and not one of my employees, it would have cost a small fortune. While it looks 1000% better than it did when it arrived, it is not perfect and there are still waves...the gel coat is just not that great and although we did our best to fix it, sometimes this cannot be helped. This is the inherent risk with fiberglass. As for pores, anything poly or fiberglass can have this - it is the result of a poorly done mold and/or less than ideal mixture. Good fiberglass and good poly will not have any pores, ever. Cheap stuff always will, and when you paint, the paint can "sink" into the item you are painting.

The other thing to consider is the color...the darker the color, the more the waves are going to "pop" and show. The lighter the color, the more it will be hidden, most times.

The most important benefit of course is after its on....anything urethane will always be more durable in the long run than its fiberglass counterpart.

As for your INGS choice, they are some of the highest quality aero parts to come out of Japan...I have yet to see or install a genuine INGS part that did not fit exactly as advertised...good choice. If the car is show only and yu don't drive that much, the fiberglass can be a good choice. If you drive the car regularly and want something as durable as a factory bumper, poly is the only way to go

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 06-16-2005 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
basam350z

Z1, thanks for the input. The poly bumper I looking at is a replica. I think I'm going to buy it soo.