Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadblock - Autobahnd Film

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Adrnln1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadblock - Autobahnd Film

Sorry to drag the veterans through this... I have searched the boards and understand that a "film" job is vital to the longevity of my Z. We, in the Northern Virginia area have a company called Roadblock www.rdblockva.com who does all the cars from the Mazerati and Ferrari dealership across the street from his shop as well as a lot of the normal car dealerships.

His kit covers the hood to just above the lights, the lights themselves, the mirrors, door edges, and bumper. He actually removes the grill and puts the film all the way through.

Has anyone used this place? They are apparently connected to Autobahnd based in europe, and use 3M Film. One of my co-workers had is 3.2TL done and it looks incredible.

Any input would be appreciated... Appointment is on Monday, July 4.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 AM
stopgo

I visited the shop last year to have this done...never went through with it due to a move and some serious business travel. However, I wouldn't hesitate to take my car there for the treatment. IIRC, the film they used was developed to treat the leading edge of military helicopter blades for protection from desert sand.

Each piece is cut with a computer, so fitment should be superb. And I had a difficult time finding anyone else in the area who does this sort of work.

Not sure if they still do it, but the guys mentioned that the local Nissan dealer (Brown's in Sterling) had all their new Zs come in for the roadblock treatment. If they still do you might be able to pop over there and take a look at some examples.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:48 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Hmm? How does this compare to a ClearBra? They sound similar.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 AM
stopgo

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Hmm? How does this compare to a ClearBra? They sound similar.
For all practical purposes they're the exact same thing. Not sure how they compare in regards to cost, but they look identical and are applied the same way.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Adrnln1

Cost is $995
Old 06-28-2005, 01:02 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by stopgo
For all practical purposes they're the exact same thing. Not sure how they compare in regards to cost, but they look identical and are applied the same way.
How about material? Which one is more durable?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:17 PM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

as a former apache helicopter mechanic, Its just another film. It may be the same material as used on the blades, but it is nowhere near the thickness helicopter blades have on them. Also the bonding material is much different. Check the thickness of the material they use and compare it to the 3m film. Also make sure that it will not bleach from the sun. the material we had on the blades in iraq was black so i cant tell you if it will turn foggy. but i will tell you this, it did crack after a while in the sun. take into consideration that the blades are put through harsher conditions so it could be part of the cracking problem.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:18 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by armt350z
as a former apache helicopter mechanic, Its just another film. It may be the same material as used on the blades, but it is nowhere near the thickness helicopter blades have on them. Also the bonding material is much different. Check the thickness of the material they use and compare it to the 3m film. Also make sure that it will not bleach from the sun. the material we had on the blades in iraq was black so i cant tell you if it will turn foggy. but i will tell you this, it did crack after a while in the sun. take into consideration that the blades are put through harsher conditions so it could be part of the cracking problem.
This is great info. Thanks!