Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do a-pillar gauge pods attract the popo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do a-pillar gauge pods attract the popo?

i happen to like those gauge pods, but i don't want the popo to see them and request a peak under the hood once my sc is installed. what do you guys think?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:17 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well is the sc that your getting "emissions safe"?? Im not sure which SC, ST or TT are "emissions safe" if there is such a creature..lol..Im looking to go the ST route and would like to know. Are they illegal in Cali??Great question Zboy!
Old 07-10-2005, 08:58 AM
gatti-man

the stillen is 100% street legal everywhere, the vortech is legal except for cali i think. If i had the stillen id flaunt that baby since its totaly LEGAL
Old 07-10-2005, 09:00 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

What about the turbos
Old 07-10-2005, 09:15 AM
ssc

yeah i hear they are getting pretty wise to the modding scene down there in SoCal so i wouldnt be surprised if that happens.....i would do it anyways though because those guages are so cool...
Old 07-10-2005, 09:33 AM
jmcmorante

I have mines for only about a week. But I have Limo tint so I dont think they can pul me over for the gauges alone. I guess if they wanted to they could for the tint but I have cruised next to cops thousands of times and they just stare at the car but never gotten pulled over. Now if they do pull me over then Im pretty much done I guess once they see the Nitrous Tank. LOL However I dont always have the tank with me unless I know its a wekend an d Im playing around with it or going to race or something. I dont think they would say anything about a nitrous system being there with no bottle.

You do bring out good questions though.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

There are NO turbo systems that are CARB legal in Cali... JWT is currently waiting on the CARB approval on his TT system that will be released to the public later this year. Stillen is currently the only S/C that is CARB legal. HKS and Vortech are awaiting their CARB approval at this time.

Myself, I am waiting for the JWT TT to be released so I can stay legal.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
Well is the sc that your getting "emissions safe"?? Im not sure which SC, ST or TT are "emissions safe" if there is such a creature..lol..Im looking to go the ST route and would like to know. Are they illegal in Cali??Great question Zboy!
i'm installing the hks, which is carb pending, but as miaplaya says, you can have all the carb stickers in the world, and they can still ticket you. i may have to put the gauges in the nav box.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:07 AM
doodeitstom

A pillar gauge pods attract ricers.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:23 PM
jlimquest

I am looking into gauges too & that s a good point regarding pillar gauges. How about these one's mounted ont he steering column?

http://www.autotechinteriors.com/pro...oduct_epod.php
Attached Thumbnails Do a-pillar gauge pods attract the popo?-projectnissan_16-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by jlimquest
I am looking into gauges too & that s a good point regarding pillar gauges. How about these one's mounted ont he steering column?
http://www.autotechinteriors.com/pro...oduct_epod.php
i like that idea. does it interfere with clear viewing of the stock gauges?

Last edited by Z BOY; 07-10-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:59 PM
jmcmorante

I too considered the Steering wheel column until I tried driving with them around just taped there temporarily to see if it would intefere and yes it does when it comes down to racing when you dont have a whole minute or 2 to be stearing behind them to see the other gauges. I would recommend the Pillar gauge pods Im happy with them. DOnt worry about them too much if you have tinted windows like I said in my earlier post. By the way if anyone needs a new Autometer Nitrous Pressure gauge or Automete Light bulb covers to change the lights output of the gauges color different let me know Im selling them, since I decided at the last minute to go with different styule of Autometer gauges.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:23 PM
RedLeader

I went with a triple pod, but it cuts your view down somewhat. I'll be selling a stainless 2-gauge plate that I had made for the NAV box. I read a lot of negative posts about the steering column mount because it doesn't have adequate clearance,(I think it hits the steering wheel), the texture on the originals didn't match the stock interior texture, and it partially obscures the factory speedo & tach.

Bruce
Old 07-11-2005, 12:28 PM
jmcmorante

FYI-when you guys install electricl components watch which electrical cable you pair the gauges too. If you read for my previous threads, gauge wires where causing the ABS electrical portion to fail, and therefore my brake system started to fail.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:30 PM
2muchZ4u

ok stillen is def carb legal everywhere, the only other one that ive heard of being legal in most other places is vortech. well if you dont have nav, that spot is by far the best place to put gauges.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 PM
B-Unit

Just do it, i wouldnt worry about anything, if they pull you over id be like, its oil temp, etc haha
Old 07-11-2005, 03:00 PM
RedLeader

B-Unit,
Somebody should manufacture little black covers(like rifle-scope caps) you could pop onto your guages to cover them up. Might avoid a few questions from the authorities.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Rayden2001

Originally Posted by doodeitstom
A pillar gauge pods attract ricers.
Yeah, because ours are hooked up and really working.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:26 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

I wonder if there is any software that is developed to be able to use the OEM NAV unit to display the information digitally or to somehow display it on the View screens that are placed in the NAV door?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:39 PM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by ssc
yeah i hear they are getting pretty wise to the modding scene down there in SoCal so i wouldnt be surprised if that happens.....i would do it anyways though because those guages are so cool...
Hah believe it!

I saw an Off Duty Officer at the Barnes and Nobles today sipping on some coffee and reading a stack of tuner magazines. Talk about disturbing.

Judging from how old he looked, I doubt he was looking to swap an SR20 into a 240sx.

Quick Reply: Do a-pillar gauge pods attract the popo?