Sponsored by:

The “aero” in aero package

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 02:47 AM
papo470

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The “aero” in aero package

[QUOTE]Originally posted by praxis
[B]I probably overstepping my bounds since this is my first post but…

Why is it that no one is concerned with the aerodynamics of aero packages? Uh... The “aero” of aero package stands for aerodynamics.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT POST!
Old 12-25-2002, 10:40 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

praxis, if you don't get a Track model with the 'zero lift' and .29 Cd, then you have not "put your money where your mouth is!"
BTW - the other 4 models of the 350 achieve .30 Cd. The "aero kit" the Track model has as standard, includes front and rear spoilers, as well as two aero 'blockers' right behind the rear wheel wells that prevent air turbulence in the well behind the tires and ahead of the rear bumper bodywork.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:54 AM
JZC

I just wish there was enough of a demand for aerodynamics that aero makers would actually start designing for this.
If they took it into consideration there wouldn't be so many ugly packages.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Boomer

Default Aero

Originally posted by JZC
If they took it into consideration there wouldn't be so many ugly packages.
I ordered the aero pkg for my Touring and received a 1" front lip spoiler and the rear spoiler standard on the Track model. I thought I was ordering the diffusers as well. Not so, I found out to my chagrin, all you get in models other than the Track is a small lip under the front fascia and the small rear deck spoiler.

Not what I thought I had paid $499 for at all. No rear underbody diffusers; I guess my coefficient of drag is about .295, instead of .29 or.30.? NISMO will be selling the rear underbody diffusers in the future according to their website list of products, I believe. Their bodykit has a rear diffuser, but its different from the Track model's, too. I have enough spoilers from Nissan now and for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:23 PM
ztom

I'm sure Nissan must have done wind tunnel testing to minimize the 350's drag coefficient.

But I read recently that the G35 has a Cd of 0.27 - can this be correct?
Old 12-25-2002, 05:29 PM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just for a bit of education, the pressure difference that you mentioned is not how lift works. Lift works by a principle called the coanda effect in which fluids (in this case air) tend to follow curved surfaces. Since the top of the Z is curved down, air is forced downwards over the tail of the Z. Since every action has an equal but opposite reaction, the curved surface (the top of the Z, in this case) is forced up, hence creating lift. The coanda effect is what allows undercambered and symmetrical airfoils to generate successful lift. In fact, Albert Einstein himself created and airfoil using the pressure differential method and an airplane outfitted with this wing shape barely left the ground. Think about it, that is the reason why spoilers work as well. If you think in terms of pressure differentials, a spoiler just adds more surface area that the air has to travel, increasing its velocity over the surface, and therefore will create more lift; however, this is not the case, as spoilers clearly create more downforce by angling air upwards off the rear of the Z instead of down.

Now that that's through, the reference you made to being able to drive upside down at 180 mph is more correctly a reference to the saleen s7 being able to drive upside down at 160. Since F1 cars are lighter and create significantly more downforce than a saleen s7, i'd have to say they'd be able to drive upside down much, much slower than 180mph.]

Those are my $.02
Old 12-25-2002, 05:59 PM
LithossZ

Default uuuh

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
praxis, if you don't get a Track model with the 'zero lift' and .29 Cd, then you have not "put your money where your mouth is!"
BTW - the other 4 models of the 350 achieve .30 Cd. The "aero kit" the Track model has as standard, includes front and rear spoilers, as well as two aero 'blockers' right behind the rear wheel wells that prevent air turbulence in the well behind the tires and ahead of the rear bumper bodywork.
There's a lot more to take into consideration when making your model choice, and unfortunatly just because a lot of us want that zero lift doesn't mean we will shell out the extra $4k+. Perhaps this is why he is so unhappy with people's lack of interest in the actual useful properties of "aero kits"? Maybe he found more features in another model that was more functional and more to his liking than that of the stock Track package? Especially if one plans on putting different brakes, wheels, aerodynamic features and etc. than any of the stock packages have. I know that when/if I buy a 350z (eventually) I will most likely plan to put the speakers, deck, wheels, brakes, etc of MY choice rather than paying for the stock Nissan outfitted parts which I don't really like. So why pay for the extra stuff if you're just going to change it anway? I'm talking about easy to change things here, not things like limited-slip differentials (which rules the base model out). Personally, I don't know if I'll ever go so far to tweak the Cd. But I can see why people would, like praxis. Just a thought, or my $.02 if you will
Old 12-25-2002, 10:32 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ztom
I'm sure Nissan must have done wind tunnel testing to minimize the 350's drag coefficient.
But I read recently that the G35 has a Cd of 0.27 - can this be correct?
Correct! The G35 achieves a better coefficient of drag due to not having such pronounced bulged fenders at all four corners like the Z has! The G35 fender wells are more smoothly blended into the sides of the body. The Z from the outset was styled to have an aggresive "stance", hence the flared fender wells at all four corners -- I like it!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:41 AM
Brad4rdHay

My whole thing is that the car has pretty damn good aerodynamics stock. The M3 boys should be a little jelous Its about as much as you could ask for from a stock street car, and also, you probably will never ask the car for much more anyway.

Most people put on exterior mods purely for looks. Hell, I ordered the Top Secret Difusor because I always fel the Z's front end needed more "poke"...but Ill take the added stability with it also. What makes me happy is stepping into a car that I wholly feel looks as good as I want it. This is the car I drive everyday, and I cant go out on a limb for unatractive yet imposing and purposeful body kits. If it was a weekend track eater, then yeah, the grimier the better,
Old 01-29-2005, 08:24 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by r34 racer
Just for a bit of education, the pressure difference that you mentioned is not how lift works. Lift works by a principle called the coanda effect in which fluids (in this case air) tend to follow curved surfaces. Since the top of the Z is curved down, air is forced downwards over the tail of the Z. Since every action has an equal but opposite reaction, the curved surface (the top of the Z, in this case) is forced up, hence creating lift. The coanda effect is what allows undercambered and symmetrical airfoils to generate successful lift. In fact, Albert Einstein himself created and airfoil using the pressure differential method and an airplane outfitted with this wing shape barely left the ground. Think about it, that is the reason why spoilers work as well. If you think in terms of pressure differentials, a spoiler just adds more surface area that the air has to travel, increasing its velocity over the surface, and therefore will create more lift; however, this is not the case, as spoilers clearly create more downforce by angling air upwards off the rear of the Z instead of down.

Now that that's through, the reference you made to being able to drive upside down at 180 mph is more correctly a reference to the saleen s7 being able to drive upside down at 160. Since F1 cars are lighter and create significantly more downforce than a saleen s7, i'd have to say they'd be able to drive upside down much, much slower than 180mph.]

Those are my $.02
Very old post but I had to drag it up. Remember that while the "shape" of the car is like a wing, the difference is that the airflow is separated at the tail of the Z. On a real wing (like on my shiny T-6 Texan II), the airflow is not separated as it leaves the surface. With separated airflow at the rear and attached at the front (the car), all you get is "form drag". The lift everyone talks about comes a lot from simply interference with the undercarriage and the resulting locally stagnated flow.

So, in summary, I'm just saying that cars aren't really wings.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Landbarger

Damn, this is an old post...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 AM
theguykevin

great post...
btw i liked the aero package