Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon on base model 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 02:04 PM
obsidianZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon on base model 350Z

I bought two OEM xenon headlight assemblies to replace my halogens only to discover that the electrical plugs are different. Anyone have some info on how to convert the connectors so I can plug in the xenons? Thanks everyone!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

im assuming its cuz u dont have the ballasts, unless you got those with the headlights. ..idk g35 here...someone who knows help this guy out.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:47 PM
saint01

that sucks...you could have just bought the HID Kit from Jun.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can buy the plugs from a dealership like performancenissan. the only problem would be the wiring. FSM might be able to help you out. you actually are better off than a retro into the halogen headlights, trust me the beam pattern is not that great with the retrofits.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:37 PM
obsidianZ

Thanks, that sounds like my best bet. I will try to convert the wiring harness and see if the halogen harness will integrate into the OEM xenon.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Z350Lover

please keep us posted on how everything goes... thanks heaps!

cheers,

richie
Old 12-14-2005, 07:40 PM
PeteNJ

Originally Posted by saint01
Nah HID kits suck. Putting HID bulbs in halogen housings causes glare/poor performance. Period.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 PM
PeteNJ

Originally Posted by saint01
Nah HID kits suck. Putting HID bulbs in halogen housings causes glare/poor performance. Period.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:02 PM
showstoppertk

what are you talking about? the housing for the Z halogen or otherwise are exactly the same???
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Lambo

hmm....wiring HID headlights to a halogen set up with ballasts??? i smell a fire!!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 AM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You've been PM'd....
Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 AM
ecorona6

I thought others might need the info:

The Base Z does not plug into the Xenon lights as you may already know. You have two options:

1. You can go buy a harness plug (6 pin) for the Xenon lights or find one at a Salvage/Dismanteling yard. Your Base harness plug is a 4 Pin and needs to be converted to a six to plug into the Xenon headlight.

2. You can hard wire your cars harness to the Xenon headlight bypassing the headlight plug. This means that you will cut into the cars headlight harness and take those wires and run it to the headlight wires permanently connecting them together.

I did #1. I had an electrician splice my Z's headlight harness and adapt the 6 pin plug (Xenon) so that I had two headlight plugs on my Z's harness. This way I could easily switch headlights if needed.

The differences between the 4 pin and 6 pin is that the Xenon headlight plug seperates the low and highbeam wires and adds an additional ground wire. The Base model only has on power wire that runs to the high & low beam a second wire for a turn signal, a third wire for the parking light and a fourth wire for the ground (4 pin).

I wouldnt suggest to do this yourself like I did cause I burned out my turn signal switch from the steering column, cost me $125 for parts and $90 for labor to fix. The conversion should cost from $60-$120, but much cheaper than a HID kit ($300) and its the OEM HID.

I have all the schematics for the harness and headlight if you need them. You can provide this to an electrician to help him out and they will charge you less since they dont have to research the cars electrical system. Just PM me your email and I will send them to you.

I hope this helps.....Ed
Old 12-16-2005, 01:20 PM
showstoppertk

this seems like a good place to ask this. my current aftermarket hid kit is working intermittently. when I first turn on my low beams both lights flicker, but only the drivers side will turn on, then it will stop running after about 5 min. I'm wondering if you think my kit is ok (based on the fact that both lights do flicker when I first turn them on), but just needs to have something like the wiring checked on. I did look at the fuses, and they don't seem to be burned out although they are the stock fuses. and it can't be the bulbs since they both flicker on as if they want to turn on. could it be that I need to get higher voltage fuses or is it more likely the wires or is it really something more major? thanks for any input you can give me.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:25 AM
PeteNJ

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
what are you talking about? the housing for the Z halogen or otherwise are exactly the same???
That is where you are wrong. The stock HID headlight has a completely different reflector in comparison to the halogen one. Sticking a HID bulb into a halogen housing will produce mediocre output and glare to oncoming drivers. Do yourself a favor and buy the 06 HID Projector headlights or retrofit a proper OEM HID projector to your existing lights.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Originally Posted by PeteNJ
That is where you are wrong. The stock HID headlight has a completely different reflector in comparison to the halogen one. Sticking a HID bulb into a halogen housing will produce mediocre output and glare to oncoming drivers. Do yourself a favor and buy the 06 HID Projector headlights or retrofit a proper OEM HID projector to your existing lights.
I haven't had a problem with glare, but you're right the beam pattern is not ideal. I would love to retrofit a projector from the TSX or S2000 ino the 2003-2005 headlights.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Well, sticking and HID bulb on the base 350z headlight might not "exactly" be the same as the HID headlight, but it is a lot better than having the halogens. Light output is increased tremendously, and I have yet to see any oncoming driver complain about the output or glare...

At least the 350z headlight is not a complete reflector headlight, otherwise the glare would be a huge problem.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Z350Lover

Ed,

That's a great info! PM sent!

cheers,

richie
Old 12-18-2005, 08:50 PM
ecorona6

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Ed,

That's a great info! PM sent!

cheers,

richie
Pm'd.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
xStriderx

Hey, Ed. PM sent. Would like some more information. Thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 08:56 PM
imjust2goofy

Smile

Originally Posted by ecorona6
I thought others might need the info:

The Base Z does not plug into the Xenon lights as you may already know. You have two options:

1. You can go buy a harness plug (6 pin) for the Xenon lights or find one at a Salvage/Dismanteling yard. Your Base harness plug is a 4 Pin and needs to be converted to a six to plug into the Xenon headlight.

2. You can hard wire your cars harness to the Xenon headlight bypassing the headlight plug. This means that you will cut into the cars headlight harness and take those wires and run it to the headlight wires permanently connecting them together.

I did #1. I had an electrician splice my Z's headlight harness and adapt the 6 pin plug (Xenon) so that I had two headlight plugs on my Z's harness. This way I could easily switch headlights if needed.

The differences between the 4 pin and 6 pin is that the Xenon headlight plug seperates the low and highbeam wires and adds an additional ground wire. The Base model only has on power wire that runs to the high & low beam a second wire for a turn signal, a third wire for the parking light and a fourth wire for the ground (4 pin).

I wouldnt suggest to do this yourself like I did cause I burned out my turn signal switch from the steering column, cost me $125 for parts and $90 for labor to fix. The conversion should cost from $60-$120, but much cheaper than a HID kit ($300) and its the OEM HID.

I have all the schematics for the harness and headlight if you need them. You can provide this to an electrician to help him out and they will charge you less since they dont have to research the cars electrical system. Just PM me your email and I will send them to you.

I hope this helps.....Ed
Thanks... big help... pm sent