Sponsored by:

Check out this MOMO steering wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:29 AM
RareTrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fairladyZ in Japan
Unbelievable and yet, sooo typical.

People have been screaming for this JDM steering wheel for years. A white knight vendor finally offers a group buy ... ... the chickens have all but flown the coop.

The optional steering wheel (especially Type A, IMO) was one of the best decisions I made when buying the Z -- smaller, more comfortable feeling, softer leather.

Here we are at the 2 month point on this Group Buy and Still I only have 1 order!!

Peace
Drew
Old 04-21-2006, 01:43 PM
CopperZ

no offence, i like the steering wheel we have now...nice feel, leather wraped. contorls on it already. i bet if we all had this momo steering wheel from the factory and then someone would see the one whe have now, as an after market, everyone would want that wheel..... the grass will always be greener on the other side.....
Old 04-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is not ht epoint, people were talking and griping about trying to get it, he offered and everyone *****ed out.

sorry Drew, I just stumbled onto this thread, very nice wheel, but 700 is way to much for a steering wheel for me : )

now, if they offered a NON airbag equipped model cheaper, I'm all for it... I hate airbags anyway, who wants to live if their Z is crashed up anyway?

good luck rare trick. Z-1 has seen that low balling may times (carbon B pillars anyone?) so i'm sure everyone understands your frustration.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drew...this is a lesson I learned with the Z community as a whole LONG time ago - make a replica, it will sell like hotcakes - replica airbag, replica NISMO wheel, price it at $299, and you won't keep 'em in stock. While there are certainly exceptions, this community in particular (as opposed to other Japanese car communities I've been in over the past 10 years online) does not care about the rare stuff, or the original stuff, or even the quality stuff....they want it cheap, even if that means substandard quality. Am I saying that every Z owner is like this? Nope - far from it. But a subantial number are, and unfortunately, it's a fact of life. Now, in reality does everyone NEED a $700 steering wheel? Not at all - hell I sell this stuff and that was a tough pill for me to swallow with my wheel! But, everyone knew the price of an airbag equipped, new steering wheel would not be cheap (ever price out the OEM US Spec one?) - and still everyone had to have it. For me, the buildup of a car is completely for me. As such, I derive great satisfaction from having the genuine article on my car - a part that I know I won't see at the next meet, or at the next show - hell, I won't see it on many/any Z's if I went to Japan directly. But what never ceases to amaze me about the Z online communities is when a new product is posted from Japan, everyone is on it like flies to dung. Everyone "has" to have it, everyone "has" to find someone who sells it, and question them about it 30 ways from Sunday, and everyone "wished the cool stuff was offered in the US". Then, someone goes out, sources it, and enables it to be sold here, and wham......it's cricket city. Case in point, as Motormouth said, the NISMO carbon B pillars we offer(ed). It was "the" must have product for lots of people - we sold a whopping 5 sets, despite being cheaper than ANY other vendor online in the world that I came across, and having it sitting in stock, without a wait. Same thing goes for the mirrors I have - no one cares that the original designed/manufacturer has a long standing motorsports history. No one cares that the genuine versions use full stainless hardware that won't rust. No one cares that the manufactuing is absolutely flawless on it (no gaps, no waves, no uneven weaves). Now, like bellybuttons, everyone and their brother will have them, because some company devoid of ingenuity or the ability to think up their own product decided to knock off the genuine article -it's the direction the aftermarket has taken unfortunately, and it's hit the Z community particularly hard.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Queens 350z

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Drew...this is a lesson I learned with the Z community as a whole LONG time ago - make a replica, it will sell like hotcakes - replica airbag, replica NISMO wheel, price it at $299, and you won't keep 'em in stock. While there are certainly exceptions, this community in particular (as opposed to other Japanese car communities I've been in over the past 10 years online) does not care about the rare stuff, or the original stuff, or even the quality stuff....they want it cheap, even if that means substandard quality. Am I saying that every Z owner is like this? Nope - far from it. But a subantial number are, and unfortunately, it's a fact of life. Now, in reality does everyone NEED a $700 steering wheel? Not at all - hell I sell this stuff and that was a tough pill for me to swallow with my wheel! But, everyone knew the price of an airbag equipped, new steering wheel would not be cheap (ever price out the OEM US Spec one?) - and still everyone had to have it. For me, the buildup of a car is completely for me. As such, I derive great satisfaction from having the genuine article on my car - a part that I know I won't see at the next meet, or at the next show - hell, I won't see it on many/any Z's if I went to Japan directly. But what never ceases to amaze me about the Z online communities is when a new product is posted from Japan, everyone is on it like flies to dung. Everyone "has" to have it, everyone "has" to find someone who sells it, and question them about it 30 ways from Sunday, and everyone "wished the cool stuff was offered in the US". Then, someone goes out, sources it, and enables it to be sold here, and wham......it's cricket city. Case in point, as Motormouth said, the NISMO carbon B pillars we offer(ed). It was "the" must have product for lots of people - we sold a whopping 5 sets, despite being cheaper than ANY other vendor online in the world that I came across, and having it sitting in stock, without a wait. Same thing goes for the mirrors I have - no one cares that the original designed/manufacturer has a long standing motorsports history. No one cares that the genuine versions use full stainless hardware that won't rust. No one cares that the manufactuing is absolutely flawless on it (no gaps, no waves, no uneven weaves). Now, like bellybuttons, everyone and their brother will have them, because some company devoid of ingenuity or the ability to think up their own product decided to knock off the genuine article -it's the direction the aftermarket has taken unfortunately, and it's hit the Z community particularly hard.
When i started reading this i was sold on the steering wheel. Then at the end you hurt my feelings about the mirrors lol
But i do understand what you are saying Adam.

Drew i shall be placing my order soon.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 AM
RareTrick

Its not just the Z community... its the Tuner Community in Full!!

I posted a thread on Zilvia "Original vs Knockoff"... it went on forever debation on various levels. Ultimately it comes down to this. The market is focused on younger "newbie" turners... Younger people dont have or save money well and dont have the drive or focus to dedicate years to a single product. The corrupt thought to almost Everyone is "Now, Now, Now" cant wait, must have it NOW... this is not applied to just a single part for their car, but more to completing the entire car... "It has to be Done... Now!" Then those who save for months, for one dedicated item... think just because they saved for 3 months, they have waited 3 months!
Consumers are not Dedicated anymore... they simply get by. Look in Super Street or SCC... all the cars they shoot are company owned or full JDM Racecars. They tempt the market but their own customers are not filling their pages with quality rides.

I do fully understand this industry. I am not a newbie, by far. I would rather loose a customer, then sell Knockoff anything!! My stand is simple and has been this way from the start.
No Knock-offs
Original Quality Products Only - mostly Rare or Imported
Priced reasonably (this is a major flaw in the industry, more than anything else)
Yes, If I stand my ground, one of 2 things will happen... I will go Under by fault of Consumer neglagence... OR, I will pull a higher level customer clientel.

Another prime example for the books: I did a Group Buy on ARC Intercoolers (way below Mackin's cost/ before Mackin started bringing ARC over)... you know where the topic went.... thats right... to the closest cheep alterative... Not saying Blitz is Cheep or Bad Quality... But Blitz Intercooler compared to an ARC is like stail bread vs. fresh baked. How many Orders? None!!

Thank you to anyone whom likes this Steering Wheel enough to drop $725 on it!!
Peace
Drew

Last edited by RareTrick; 04-24-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Clapton9286

You know...I dig replicas. I do..but I get what you're saying. I'm ordering B-pillars and was going to go for some cheap CF knockoff, but I realized that I might as well just save 30 more dollars and get the Nismos. HOWEVER...

If a product that is cheaper is better...why not say something like the Popcharger versus a CAI..similar gains, yadda yadda. Why not get that product? I know it's a bit different than the replica/knock-off debate..but, when you look at it..both are products competing in a market. And when that market is so full and bloated, you have quite a range of choices.

This reminds me of the lawsuit guitars of the 70's and 80's, and recently PRS v Gibson. All the same thing really.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:19 AM
yenny

2 days until the group buy ends. i was curious as to how many actually placed the order.

yen

Last edited by yenny; 04-28-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:38 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is nuts.. I started this thread and didn't even look at it again until today! I tried to install my (b) steering wheel and I failed.. As some of you said, there are 2 plugs on the stock steering wheel, and there's only one plug socket on the JDM MOMO steering wheel... Come on spill the beans!! How do I converge the two plugs into one? There are yellow and red plugs...

Also, when I installed it, MOMO steering wheel plastic was rubbing against the stock steering wheel base where the blinker/wiper/light handles are located. Do I need some sort of spacers or something?
Old 05-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I could help you, but I didn't install mine myself. I can tell you that I have absolutely no rubbing. I just looked through the instruction manual and there is no mention of a spacer.

As Drew (RareTrick) had pointed out, you may want to consider having a Nissan dealer install the wheel as they are familiar with both one and two stage airbag mechanisms and may be able to get the wheel to not rub. In any event, good luck and post pictures!
Old 05-20-2006, 07:16 AM
yenny

I never ended up buying the wheel since i was having trouble finding an installer. All the local nissan dealers in orlando and gainesville, florida refused to do it for liability reasons. The local car shops said they can try to do it, but have never done it before.

Now I'm stuck with the stock wheel. I'm really considering a momo wheel and foregoing the airbag, if the installation is a DIY in about 15 min. That way, I can put the stock wheel on whenever i go on the highway and use the momo wheel in town.

anyways, good luck to you leeboy. it's a sick-as$ looking steering wheel you have. it's been put on before, so it's definitely possible, just gotta find the right person to do it.

yea and post pics when you're done
Old 06-28-2006, 09:18 AM
RareTrick

So after the 2 month Group Buy went South only one customer placed an order. So if anyone has a questionable doubt that this can't be obtained... see the pics below... they are a little fuzzy when enlarged.

Now, the major concer is Install and so far only Z1 claims to know how, but also said its very simple. Z1 and myself argee on alot so far but it seems odd they keep a secret. However, if I do get another order for one I will ask the customer if I can install on a friends 350z and figure out the "Secret"... and YES I will post Pics and a full write-up.
Now that I think of it... someone posted the means to solving this... If this wheel is the same as the EVO's... the EVO will be a Dual Stage (same as stock)... compare the 2 and make the needed changes.

Peace
Drew
Attached Thumbnails Check out this MOMO steering wheel!-p6150006.jpg   Check out this MOMO steering wheel!-p6150007.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
evobunny

Originally Posted by RareTrick
So after the 2 month Group Buy went South only one customer placed an order. So if anyone has a questionable doubt that this can't be obtained... see the pics below... they are a little fuzzy when enlarged.

Now, the major concer is Install and so far only Z1 claims to know how, but also said its very simple. Z1 and myself argee on alot so far but it seems odd they keep a secret. However, if I do get another order for one I will ask the customer if I can install on a friends 350z and figure out the "Secret"... and YES I will post Pics and a full write-up.
Now that I think of it... someone posted the means to solving this... If this wheel is the same as the EVO's... the EVO will be a Dual Stage (same as stock)... compare the 2 and make the needed changes.

Peace
Drew
Is the airbag under the cover
Old 06-29-2006, 04:49 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Clapton9286
You know...I dig replicas. I do..but I get what you're saying. I'm ordering B-pillars and was going to go for some cheap CF knockoff, but I realized that I might as well just save 30 more dollars and get the Nismos. HOWEVER...

If a product that is cheaper is better...why not say something like the Popcharger versus a CAI..similar gains, yadda yadda. Why not get that product? I know it's a bit different than the replica/knock-off debate..but, when you look at it..both are products competing in a market. And when that market is so full and bloated, you have quite a range of choices.

This reminds me of the lawsuit guitars of the 70's and 80's, and recently PRS v Gibson. All the same thing really.
As far as the "cheap CF knockoffs" of the B pillars, NISMO was johnny-come-lately to the market. Varis and many, many others had the B pillars on the market for actual years before NISMO. So that bird does not fly in this case. The NISMO is a knock-off.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 AM
RareTrick

Originally Posted by evobunny
Is the airbag under the cover
Yes, the Air Bag is seperate... I only layed it on for the Pic.

EvoBunny if you have an EVO (hence the name) can you pull your steering wheel and take detailed pics of the back with wiring, and the inside of the wheel.
This is all I have hound so far...

Thank you
Drew
Old 06-29-2006, 11:55 PM
evobunny

Originally Posted by RareTrick
Yes, the Air Bag is seperate... I only layed it on for the Pic.

EvoBunny if you have an EVO (hence the name) can you pull your steering wheel and take detailed pics of the back with wiring, and the inside of the wheel.
This is all I have hound so far...

Thank you
Drew
Sorry no EVO, just Z now. I think my friend want to change his steer wheel on his evo.. if he does I will get pics.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Noah@AAM

sorry to bring back an old thread but I love that type-b wheel. Too bad they aren't offered anymore...i work with Nissan techs and I'm sure I could have figured out how to install it.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM
ryanmac516
i like boobies

Ummmm???!!?? Both of these are Available... they are difficult to get, even in Japan... but still available.

Peace
Drew
Old 09-19-2006, 04:11 PM
jdm4eva

Originally Posted by Anyone2u
Then I guess you won't be copying me this time!
lol

Last edited by jdm4eva; 09-19-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am thinking it is time for me to get that type B style steering wheel.
Anyone here still able to get it?
I have been delaying the replacement of the wheel because I need an airbag, no one else has come out with a decent option.. Guess I have no choice now..
--B

Quick Reply: Check out this MOMO steering wheel!