Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magic touch sensitive doors..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 04:19 PM
ObiRedKenobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even at 10% off I couldn't justify this one. I will wait a year or two for competition or a heafty price drop.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:18 AM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by steveiZdaman
Yea they def can do better then 10%...thats like a slap in the face

i agree with you on the door handles making the car look cheap...im not interested in this because i am too lazy to pull the handle open...just love a nice clean smooth look
Ya this is deff not somthing I NEED, if the price comes down some more I will be all over it though.

Only thing I would be worried about is all the finger prints on my freshly waxed Z!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:20 AM
dark_muppet

What kinda of battery are we talking about for backup?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:39 AM
maxpowers

It would be pretty easy to wire a connector to the battery and run it down to the grill. In the event of a dead battery you could hook up a battery charger or get a boost.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
It would be pretty easy to wire a connector to the battery and run it down to the grill. In the event of a dead battery you could hook up a battery charger or get a boost.
9psi of boost?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:44 AM
dark_muppet

Are you all THAT worried that your battery's going to die? If it's that big a concern maybe it's time to get a new one?

The only thing that would bother me is that I'd have to carry my stock FOB and this new one.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:47 AM
dark_muppet

nevermind... it says it works with stock keyless entry.

I'm in if 9 others get in.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:08 AM
HockeyZ39

I am in, if 9 others are in as well.

But I don't see us getting 9 others with only a 10% discount.

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Good Idea, though would need some where secure to mount it, and some sort of cover for it.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:10 AM
dark_muppet

1. dark_muppet - Magnetic Black
2. HockeyZ39 -
Old 03-08-2006, 10:28 AM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by dark_muppet
2. HockeyZ39 -
2. HockeyZ39 - Lemans Sunset
Old 03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
dark_muppet

are these available now? Maybe I'll just go ahead and get a set and post up a how-to. OR.. post up how much they suck and that noone should buy them etc etc.

Unless we can get 8 more buyers soon. Then I could save 80 bucks.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
steveiZdaman

you would think i would be the first on the group buy since i found it and am interested....just have other stuff to do first and its too expensive still 10% is poop...might as well just pay full price and tell them thanks anyways lol
Old 03-08-2006, 02:29 PM
dark_muppet

oh yeah... sorry didn't mean to hyjack your thread man I just noticed noone else had said a definite "YES" so I started the list.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
maxpowers

Originally Posted by HockeyZ39
Good Idea, though would need some where secure to mount it, and some sort of cover for it.
Thanks - I shouldn't take too much credit for this idea. I use this on my motorcyle...its a quick connect charger. There is a quick-connector permanently connected to the battery.
http://batterytender.com/default.php...89edf57f06212b
Old 03-09-2006, 11:43 AM
CAVZ33

Sign me up. w/battery backup-Silverstone
Old 03-09-2006, 12:12 PM
MagicTouch

Default Magic Touch system from LaFrance Autoworks

This is Cole from LaFrance Autoworks. I was recently pointed to this thread and noticed there are a few things I need to clarify.

We manufacture Magic Touch, a touch sensitive door handle replacement system that gives you the appearance of shaved door handles without the need for any bodywork. They are bolt in replacements of the existing door handles. They work with aftermarket and factory keyless entry systems. And in the case that you leave you car unlocked in the rain it can tell the difference between rain and a person's touch and it won't open because of rain. When the car is locked the system is disabled so there is no chance of it accidentally opening.

The backup battery system can be installed in each door and can also be installed to power the keyless entry system so that if your main car battery dies it still will have power. The battery systems are designed so that they charge off of the car but do not drain if the car battery dies.

About the body filler. It's your cars, I can't tell you what to do but we do suggest that you do NOT put any body filler around the door handle replacement. Under large temperature changes it my cause cracks to form. This is due to the fact that the plastics used in the door handle replacement shrink and expand at a different rate than the metal of the door. We don't want to ruin anyone's car; we suggest you do not attempt this. Also, why would you spend the time and money in having to re-paint your door when our door handle replacements come painted in factory colors?

If you have shaved door handles or plan on shaving your door handles we do offer a clear sensor that adheres to the inside of the glass. This gives you the same touch sensitivity as our door handle replacements.

Our kit comes with the touch sensor (door handle replacement or glass sensor) and the logic board that is mounted inside the door. Our system sends a signal to a mechanical device (gun-type actuator or solenoid) to open the door latch. We do not supply this part with our kits because depending on the install it could only require a gun-type actuator or in other situations it may need more strength and call for a solenoid. We leave this as an option for the installer. You can but these parts from many companies like autoloc and others. Our system is designed to handle up to 35 amps. So if you choose to use a solenoid then our system can handle the power draw; no need for a relay (less wiring for the installer).

I noticed someone had commented about waiting for competition to drive our prices down. We have intellectual property patents on the design and the technology application. We will be the only source for the Magic Touch system.

And about the price. It is $399 per door. We decided to offer a 10% discount for a group buy. We can not offer anything more because we are the manufacturer of the product and we have a network of resellers who we offer discounts to for their large purchase orders and we do not want to encroach upon their sales in any way. I know many of you want more of a discount but we want to maintain our network of resellers.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact me at sales@lafranceautoworks.com
Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 968 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicTouch
This is Cole from LaFrance Autoworks. I was recently pointed to this thread and noticed there are a few things I need to clarify.

We manufacture Magic Touch, a touch sensitive door handle replacement system that gives you the appearance of shaved door handles without the need for any bodywork. They are bolt in replacements of the existing door handles. They work with aftermarket and factory keyless entry systems. And in the case that you leave you car unlocked in the rain it can tell the difference between rain and a person's touch and it won't open because of rain. When the car is locked the system is disabled so there is no chance of it accidentally opening.

The backup battery system can be installed in each door and can also be installed to power the keyless entry system so that if your main car battery dies it still will have power. The battery systems are designed so that they charge off of the car but do not drain if the car battery dies.

About the body filler. It's your cars, I can't tell you what to do but we do suggest that you do NOT put any body filler around the door handle replacement. Under large temperature changes it my cause cracks to form. This is due to the fact that the plastics used in the door handle replacement shrink and expand at a different rate than the metal of the door. We don't want to ruin anyone's car; we suggest you do not attempt this. Also, why would you spend the time and money in having to re-paint your door when our door handle replacements come painted in factory colors?

If you have shaved door handles or plan on shaving your door handles we do offer a clear sensor that adheres to the inside of the glass. This gives you the same touch sensitivity as our door handle replacements.

Our kit comes with the touch sensor (door handle replacement or glass sensor) and the logic board that is mounted inside the door. Our system sends a signal to a mechanical device (gun-type actuator or solenoid) to open the door latch. We do not supply this part with our kits because depending on the install it could only require a gun-type actuator or in other situations it may need more strength and call for a solenoid. We leave this as an option for the installer. You can but these parts from many companies like autoloc and others. Our system is designed to handle up to 35 amps. So if you choose to use a solenoid then our system can handle the power draw; no need for a relay (less wiring for the installer).

I noticed someone had commented about waiting for competition to drive our prices down. We have intellectual property patents on the design and the technology application. We will be the only source for the Magic Touch system.

And about the price. It is $399 per door. We decided to offer a 10% discount for a group buy. We can not offer anything more because we are the manufacturer of the product and we have a network of resellers who we offer discounts to for their large purchase orders and we do not want to encroach upon their sales in any way. I know many of you want more of a discount but we want to maintain our network of resellers.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact me at sales@lafranceautoworks.com
translation..........

we own the tech, you want it you must pay!

so count me out on this, my mind and opinion has changed. Itll still require more hardware. For that price you might as well shave the handle and have a solenoid installed. I mean, why rub the door handle to make it open when you could click a button to do it, it looks cool but not worth it. 800 is too much if it doesnt include all the hardware needed. And about it coming in factory colors, still might not match 100% and its not a clean shaved look.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
MagicTouch

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
translation..........

so count me out on this, my mind and opinion has changed. Itll still require more hardware. For that price you might as well shave the handle and have a solenoid installed. I mean, why rub the door handle to make it open when you could click a button to do it, it looks cool but not worth it. 800 is too much if it doesnt include all the hardware needed. And about it coming in factory colors, still might not match 100% and its not a clean shaved look.
We developed a product that lets the average user attain shaved door handles. Plus if you are leasing the vehicle or plan on selling it in the future you can revert it back to stock. I would love to have you guys do a group buy but I'm not forcing you to buy it. If you guys want it great, if not then I hope some of our upcomming products will strike your fancy. Make sure to check us out at SEMA this fall.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:43 PM
dark_muppet

Yeah the idea of needing additional parts bothers me. Not because of the added price, but because there is no set standard or compatability with these kits.

A point of discussion for Magic Touch then is: As you have done the R&D for this product, you must know what popper/solenoid is going to work with our cars. Even at the added price, I think it would be beneficial if you could include these (and any other wiring or required parts) in a complete package. The more we piece these together from sources the less attractive the product is and the more work we, the consumer, have to front.

Again, I'm all for this product and, pending these adjustments would still be fully interested in a set.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:50 PM
dark_muppet

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
translation..........

As far as this goes, I think any company will protect their product. It's why they're SELLING it to begin with and not just handing it out. It's called Capitalism and it's not a new concept that Magic Touch created.

I would also add that any shaved job would probably be just if not more costly and could run in to similar problems with color matching. With a pearl color like my 2006 Magnetic Black, it's certainly a concern for me, but to me it's worth that possible risk... though I certainly hope it matches.

Quick Reply: magic touch sensitive doors..