Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should the Rear Spoiler Look Like This?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 09:50 PM
350zsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the Rear Spoiler Look Like This?

Due to parts shortages at the port, I had my aero package installed several weeks after delivery of the car. My dealer took care of the installation this past week. While I was washing the car this weekend I noticed a small depression on the top right side of the rear spoiler. I assume that this is in the area where the spoiler is bolted to the body. Are such depressions normal? The left side of the spoiler doesn't seem to have the same dimple. To me, it looks the spoiler mounting bolt may have been overtightened. The depression is pretty minor, but if it is due to overtightening, I'm concerned that fatigue may set in over time. Has anyone seen this or have any recommendations?
Old 02-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you're talking about the stock aero package spoiler. If you could post a pic it would be helpful but I know mine doesn't have any "depression" anywhere on it.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:58 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the stock lip spoiler as well but do not have any "depression" or "dimple" that you speak of. Post pix of it, can you?
Old 02-02-2003, 11:45 AM
350zsu

Yes. This is a stock spoiler. Below is a photo of the spoiler with the depression right in the center.
Attached Thumbnails Should the Rear Spoiler Look Like This?-dsc00598.jpg  
Old 02-02-2003, 12:10 PM
syf0n

That is totally uneven and wrong (slightly diagonal) against the curve of the spoiler. I say it's a dent.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:05 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a damage. That "depression" shouldn't be there.
You shoud bring it back and have it exchanged.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Mr Fairlady

Default Thats not right!

Well,.I ordered a Replica from Spoilerdepots.com($246shipped & painted),..came factory painted PPW and is Great--just got it in and put on,..mine was not like that nad m,ine wasn't even factory!

I wasn't gonna pay $400+ for a damn Factory spoiler(i priced it when I bought my Z)

Thats almost the price of the damn NISMO
but either way I'd have them fix it!
Old 02-02-2003, 07:26 PM
350zsu

Well, I think I'll be giving the dealer a call on Monday morning. Perhaps if the mounting bolt is loosened slightly the dimple will go away. I don't know how flexible the material is.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:14 AM
socalsoda

I am not saying it is right, but I have seen that on several factory installed spoilers.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:16 AM
bdiddy

Originally posted by 350zsu
Yes. This is a stock spoiler. Below is a photo of the spoiler with the depression right in the center.
I don't have that slight indention either, BUT here's the first thing I noticed on that pic.... That DOES NOT look like the spoiler that is on my Track. My aero package spoiler is only about 1/4" in height with a 45 degree angle where it meets the car. In that picture the spoiler is rounded and taller where it meets the car. Just an observation. I don't know if that matters to you, but from the picture it does not appear to be a factory aero spoiler "replacement" part. When you go back to the dealer for the slight "dip" in the spoiler check out a Z that has the aero package on the factory sticker and compare. Just an FYI.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:37 AM
350zsu

This picture was taken very close to the spoiler and at an angle that emphasizes the depression. I think if you saw a wide angle view it would look like the spoiler you're familiar with. I'm pretty sure it's the same as others I've seen, but I will check other cars when I go to the dealer today.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ZSU-

no way is that "normal" for the curvature of the stock spoiler...
if it was normal the light shouldnt bend so aggressively.

someone messed up. take it back.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:09 AM
bdiddy

Originally posted by 350zsu
This picture was taken very close to the spoiler and at an angle that emphasizes the depression. I think if you saw a wide angle view it would look like the spoiler you're familiar with. I'm pretty sure it's the same as others I've seen, but I will check other cars when I go to the dealer today.
That very well could be. My spoiler doesn't have a "rolled edge" whatsoever, it tapers off at a 45 degree angle. If I have time this morning I'll try to post a pic. Let me know when you get back form the dealer...I'm curious to know now.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:47 AM
bdiddy

The car is a little dusty (hasn't been out for awhile), but here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Should the Rear Spoiler Look Like This?-iphotoiphoto-mailtmp-0.jpg  
Old 02-03-2003, 09:50 AM
bdiddy

Here's a corner pic just for good measure...
Attached Thumbnails Should the Rear Spoiler Look Like This?-iphotoiphoto-mailtmp-1.jpg  
Old 02-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have nothing like that. Anyway, it's absolutely not normal for package that costed $500 (which was a rip off in first place).

How could they even think about giving car to you with such poor job done? Call the dealer and tell him to get it fixed.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:08 PM
350zsu

Well I'm back from the dealer and from the accessory shop that actually did the installation of the spoiler. It turns out that I was right that the depression was above one of the two mounting bolts. The installers are certain that the depression was not there when it was assembled. However, the attachment bolt was apparently over-tightened and the depression developed over time and after exposure to recent warm SoCal temperatures. The spoiler is made from a relatively soft polyurethane which can be easily deformed. The shop proceeded to loosen the bolt and then warmed the area with a heat gun until the area returned to normal shape (more or less). The bolts were then retightened, this time being particularly careful to avoid over-tightening.

The results? - The depression is virtually imperceptible, but there still is a slightly noticeable difference in reflectivity in that area. Even the other side of the spoiler has a slight imperfection. My guess is there is probably no way to avoid this. Had the big depression not originally been there, I might not have noticed something of this magnitude. To me the real question is whether the appearance remains constant over time and temperature. I will certainly keep an eye on it. The installer assures me that if I have any more problems that they will make right, up to and including replacing the spoiler.

I would have included an "after" photo, but wasn't able to get a shot until after dark and you just don't get the proper view when taken with flash. I will include one in the next few days if anyone is curious.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you should have just replaced the spoiler.
let them deal with the heat gun/warming issue.

you paid for something that should have been right the first time.