Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central 20 Body Kit Fitment and Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:19 PM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, i got my grill finished today. Ill have to wait tell monday to see if it fits.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:36 PM
B-Unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkensux
Oh I mean from the body shop haha...I was suppose to get it back on Tuesday, and then they said they would paint it Wednesday. I told them to take their time and I would pick it up today but when I went yesterday to check up on it and give them the mesh grill, they hadn't even painted it yet lol. Well I called today to pick it up and he said the rear came out poorly so he would repaint it. I don't see how you can paint poorly. It must be the prep work or they didn't let it cure properly and rushed it. At least it looked like it was primered right yesterday!

what kind of grill did u get, i need to pick up a grill for my front bumper as well, one that i can paint, or black anyhow. Does super autobacs have them? i remember reading something in this thread about them having them.

As for the whole paint thing, by poorly he probably meant that it wasnt prepped properly and the finish of the paint wasnt smooth or something. but to be honest it shouldnt take too long for him to paint it. if he got on it he could do it in 2 days.

-B-
Old 05-14-2006, 01:49 AM
tekkensux

Yeah the original turnaround time was suppose to be 3 days. Then he said he would have it done by day 4 and I told him not to rush and do it right. Seems he just put the project off when he heard that haha.

As far as the grill, I kinda got desperate and picked up whatveer scraps M1 had. It is a rather flimsy left over grill they had painted matte black. Personally if I had more time and such, I woulda got the Rieger grill or bought the one in black from Autobacs if only they had it in stock....oh well
Old 05-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the posts and pictures Jeff and James. Keep the comments/suggestions/pictures coming. I received my kit last week but was too busy putting together a local car meet (Capemeet.com) so I haven't been able to do anything. I'll start putting it together this week.

Jeff, as far as the fog lights on the Vizage kit (from the other thread) the kit actually has a mounting "plate" with screw holes already there, so unlike this kit, no extra modification was required. I imagine adding a fiberglass mount wouldn't be that hard. I've got to fill in my front and rear license plate sections so I'll look at that at the same time and post any ideas.

As far as a grill, I'll look at that as well. On the Vizage grill, it just wraps around the opening (there's a small lip) and attaches with a couple of screws I believe.

Also anyone had any thoughts about cutting a hole in the front for the Varis Style vent that Ken makes? I sure wouldn't mind the extra air flow and I don't think it would look so bad. I assumed that the two lower "holes" were air vents, but I'm used to having foglights with the Vizage kit so I would like to keep them.

Keep up the good work guys!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:30 PM
tekkensux

Thanks for the info Anyone2U. I wish I already had the fog lights and given them to my body shop cuz they woulda attached them for me somehow...

As far as the Varis Style, I'm not too sure on that. I think I'm gonna pass but it may end up looking great.

Good luck with the kit. I'll post pics what my shop did to attach the grill.. Hopefully it isn't horrific
Old 05-17-2006, 01:17 AM
tekkensux

Got the kit back. Paint is on point and kit looks ready to rock. There were several blemishes and problems painting my front and rear bumpers like split lines and some very minor pinholes. My shop said the paint will keep cracking around the headlight and tailights and he repainted my kit twice to try and fix it but wasn't successful. My body shop did a good job but it is definitely not show car quality but I wasn't looking for that.

I am happy with how it turned out overall but gotta find some time to reinstall the kit.

I'd definitely recommend my body shop to anyone in So Cal looking to paint a kit for a solid price but not necessarily expecting perfection. It's a small shop where all the work is done by the guy who owns it. I personally think his prices are awesome for the level of work he does. He even helps out the guys at Auto Explosion when they have problems painting and getting kits to fit! Check it out:

Siggy's Auto Body in Gardena, CA
Old 05-17-2006, 06:08 AM
james840a

cool, i got my car back yesterday, as i was waiting they were wet sanding and buffing my front bumper. As the buffer guy was buffing there was a spot on the edge were the head light is that the paint got wrinkled from the bungy cord he use to hold it down while he was buffing, Soo they have to shot that area again. Well atlest my front bumper got couple coats of paint and clear coat

Tekkensux yeah my body shop had todo a little work on it, not alot since i did most the prep work. Did your shop say way it was cracking? I know when i talked to ken he recommend using a flexable paint for the kit. My body shop guys didnt any cracking. Oh did you ask your shop to get some of the paint they used, so in the future if you get rock chips that you have color match paint to do touch up? Im getting the hole batch they made up
Old 05-17-2006, 07:22 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

There were several blemishes and problems painting my front and rear bumpers like split lines and some very minor pinholes. My shop said the paint will keep cracking around the headlight and tailights and he repainted my kit twice to try and fix it but wasn't successful
same issue with the spoiler. Hummm...they need to improve on these split lines and pinholes.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:58 PM
james840a

I posted some pictures at the link below, of my painted front bumber.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....64#post2407864
Old 05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
tekkensux

My color match is off...this sucks...my fault for not giving them the gas cap but he probably should have asked me for it as well...
Old 05-19-2006, 11:00 AM
B-Unit

sigh. Get the car back! lol i wanna see this thing
Old 05-19-2006, 05:46 PM
james840a

Originally Posted by tekkensux
My color match is off...this sucks...my fault for not giving them the gas cap but he probably should have asked me for it as well...
Dont feel bad, i just installed my bumper and it is a little off too. Oo well, i know they mixed it per the color code off my car, i watched him. It may have been how it was applied or that the paint on the car is older. Well didnt cost me much so i cant complain.

Heres some picture of mine installed. The last one is of my harness bar.
Attached Thumbnails Central 20 Body Kit Fitment and Install-100_0072.jpg   Central 20 Body Kit Fitment and Install-100_0073.jpg   Central 20 Body Kit Fitment and Install-100_0074.jpg   Central 20 Body Kit Fitment and Install-100_0075.jpg   Central 20 Body Kit Fitment and Install-100_0076.jpg  

Old 05-19-2006, 05:57 PM
B-Unit

hell yea, looking good, thats the bcr bar huh. man, the paint is off tho. o well. how much ya pay for it?

-B-
Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 PM
james840a

B-Unit, its my ver. of the bcr bar Yeah the paint is a little off, but it matchs my rear, same paint. I know my car is dirty, and the bumper is clean. But I only payed for the paint.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:40 PM
tekkensux

I'm really sick of the car right now. I got a completely painted kit with a nice coat of glossy paint and a color match that looks pretty off depending on the angle you look at it. My shop is going to ask me for more money to repaint the kit since they are saying they did nothing wrong but did what I asked....the whole point was that I found a good shop to paint my kit at a great price...now with the cost of the repaint I might as well have taken it to a top notch So Cal shop for a showcar quality job and the right color match .....I think I could have avoided all this if I had only given my guy the gas cap and told him to color match. I have had parts painted before and it was totally on point in the past so I didn't think there would be any problem but it was a different shop that painted my parts in the past...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:08 PM
tekkensux

James: Sorry to hear about your color match. Pix look exactly the same as my car with the 2 tone look...my car looks retarded...

Right now I am contemplating whether to take my car to another body shop and literally waste the several hundreds of dollars I already spent getting it painted or trying to get my body shop to repaint at a discount and praying it comes out right and that they will color sand it again the same way and buff it again the same way and that means paying even more money just to possibly get another result that I dont want....

I'm a little dejected about this whole project and already wasted a big chunk of change now....I don't have tons of money to throw around or the time to keep playing around till this project comes out right. Haha maybe that should have been a sign not to start a car project

My only fear during this whole process was the body shop portion of this project and its come true for me now...
Old 05-19-2006, 11:59 PM
tekkensux

That's how off my paint match is...Check out the bottom left corner for my OEM rear bumper color versus the C20 sideskirts on the floor and the C20 rear bumper in the upper left background. The shade of color is pretty different....

Last edited by tekkensux; 05-20-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:04 AM
tekkensux

Here is how my grill is attached. He used fiberglass to put on zip ties and made the grill shaped to sit on the opening. The zip ties just secure it in place. IMO, the grill looks great and is very secure.

My body shop is cool, I just hope he takes care of me on the paint match and tries to cut me a break.

PICS:

Old 05-20-2006, 12:06 AM
tekkensux

OEM PAINT COLOR OF MY CAR VS DUPONT PPG PAINT COLOR:

Old 05-20-2006, 12:50 AM
tekkensux

My color match looks alot like this one....see how the bumper color is off from the rest of the car...maybe its oxidation...who knows
Attached Thumbnails Central 20 Body Kit Fitment and Install-img_0676.jpg  

Quick Reply: Central 20 Body Kit Fitment and Install