Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do it yourself - Custom headlight MOD

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Z-350 NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do it yourself - Custom headlight MOD

Ever heard of ClearCorners? NOT the reflector but the headlight conversion?

http://www.clearcorners.com/products...50zx3/h_lamp1/

Well I met this guy at a car show who had his headlights converted by these guys in California. They were impressive indeed. Very professionally done. So I visited the website above and checked out what they could do for me. Lets just say I didn't have an extra pair of headlights or $1000+ bucks to spend. So I did it myself!! Below are some pictures of how they turned out and the procedures to do your own with just a can of spray paint.

1) Get a second pair of headlights is recommended new or used. I bought some used HID headlights from my buddy for $450.00. If you have all weekend and don't plan on driving your car you do the headlights on your car.

2) Remove the headlights from your car. Remove all the wiring harness and bulbs from the headlight housing. Most of the bulbs twist out. Pry the wire harness from the bottom of the housing. Be careful not to break the platic where it connects.

3) Remove all the screws from lens cover. There are 4 of them on the edges of the housing.

4) Get a heat gun. Heat up the edge of the housing from the backside where the lens fits into the back housing. Be sure to move the heat gun back and forth evenly. The sealant will melt at a lower temperature then the plastic housing will. But if you focus the heat to just one part the plastic will melt!!
Once sealant has melted you can pull the lens cover from the back of the housing.

5) When the cover comes off heat the sealant on the lens to melt it back down to the lens. Also heat the sealant in the channel to melt it back down evenly in the grove. This will help when you go to put the lens back together.

6) Carfully remove the silver reflector pieces from the light housing. There are 2 adustment screws for the bottom part of the light that you will have to re-adjust when you put the light back in your car. Don't worry about that now. I had to cut some of the plastic around top stationary 10mm bolt to unscrew it. Don't worry the top plastic piece will cover the cutting and you will not notice it when the headlight is put back together.

7) Pop out the steel headlight beam maginfiying glass peice. Pop out the yellow reflector. Use some light weight blue painters tape from the Home Depot to mask off the areas that reflect light. Use a rezor blade to trim the tape.

8) Paint the peices in a dust free environment with spaypaint or have your local body shop paint them in the paint booth. Unfortunatly I painted them on my garage floor and got a lot of dust on them as they dried.

9) When they are dry carfully peel the tape off. If you use spray paint like I did, be carful the tape will lift the paint off crome parts. I used an exacto blade to fix some of the places where the paint ran under the tape.

10) Put the parts back together in revese order and set the adjustment screws in the center. One will adjust the headlight left/right and the other up/down.

11) Polish the inside of the lens and make sure there are no finger prints in the insde. Once you seal the light they are there for good.

12) Now comes the critical part of sealing the lens back the housing. Heat the sealant evenly around the housing. The sealant will expand when it gets hot. You should see little bubbles appear when you apply heat. Once hot push the lens back into the housing starting from back and work your way forward on the lens and housing. Apply firm pressure and make sure the lens is fully in place. Screw in the screws. Then apply more heat to the back of the housing to make sure the sealant expands and seals properly. If you don't your headlight will get condesation inside of it and that sucks.

13) screw in the light bulbs and attach the plug for the wiring harness. Then install the headlight back into the car.

14) Adjust the headlight. At night time park about 100 feet from a large wall or your garage door. From the top of the headlight you can use a long philips head screw driver to adjust left/right and up/down. Most important is up/down adjustment. Make sure the top of both lights hit the bottom of the garage door.

Take your time. Use qaulity paint. Better yet have it professionally painted by your local body shop. You can save $1000 bucks and have some nice original custom looking headlights.

Good Luck

8) Paint the plastic peices
Attached Thumbnails Do it yourself - Custom headlight MOD-light1.jpg   Do it yourself - Custom headlight MOD-light2.jpg   Do it yourself - Custom headlight MOD-light3.jpg   Do it yourself - Custom headlight MOD-light4.jpg  

Last edited by Z-350 NV; 05-16-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:58 PM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good write up
Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

12) Now comes the critical part of sealing the lens back the housing. Heat the sealant evenly around the housing. The sealant will expand when it gets hot. You should see little bubbles appear when you apply heat. Once hot push the lens back into the housing starting from back and work your way forward on the lens and housing. Apply firm pressure and make sure the lens is fully in place. Screw in the screws. Then apply more heat to the back of the housing to make sure the sealant expands and seals properly. If you don't your headlight will get condesation inside of it and that sucks.
This is the part that keep most people not to mess with the headlight. There is great chance the HU will leak sometime later if you don't do it correctly.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM
JDMFairlady21

+1 on that... thats the trickiest part, the part thats stopping me from doing this mod.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:12 PM
ZlleH

I'm too chicken to do it. But I would do it to get rid of the orange side reflectors and put in some clear ones. Not paint inside the headlight unit.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I'm too chicken to do it. But I would do it to get rid of the orange side reflectors and put in some clear ones. Not paint inside the headlight unit.
you still need to open the housing of your HU.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Zincognito

damn, seems like an all day project but good write up nontheless
Old 05-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Sundeviljay

just add silicon to the outside to make sure it is sealed
Old 05-16-2006, 09:52 PM
itchyvi3t

sealing them up correctly isnt too hard, just add some extra epoxy

Use:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...rd=strip+caulk
or
Nissan part number: B6553-89915

almost exactly the same

to ensure even heating, preheat oven to 300 and turn off, then set your headlight in there on a towel for 10 mins. That should be enough time to reseal. Alot of people have done this with no leaks and what not. Good luck
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 PM
ZlleH

I know, what part of my post did I mention that you didn't have to do that O.o

Originally Posted by Bubble
you still need to open the housing of your HU.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Hope you let your painted pieces fully dry before you resealed them. If you don't, the vapors of the drying paint gets trapped & when it is heated up by the sun or the headlights itself, it will cause a certain condensation which will give a crystalized/hazing effect on the clear glass. This ultimately hardens & becomes a real PIA to take off later. This doesn't just happen overnight though but it will definitely start showing within a few months if in fact you didn't dry them properly.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I know, what part of my post did I mention that you didn't have to do that O.o
what i mean was: you still need to open the housing => need to seal it back => chance your HU will leak.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Man i would like to see this in person if i can.