Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection from highway rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:20 PM
priscilla ls1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection from highway rock chips

Ok I am going to be driving a very long distance soon in my Z MD to TX and was looking for soming to protect the body of my Z. I already was thinking of getting this http://www.stickercity.com/store/pro...cat=730&page=1 but I can only get it for the lights fenders and hood. But I have an aftermarket bumper and body kit what can I use to protect thouse body parts? I was thinking of some kind of tape but it will have to last the entire trip. Any ideas ?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:22 PM
dozzer1b

clear bra, they run about 600 bucks, and they can mold it 2 fit exact to any aftermarket bumper, its a think tape that goes over the body, but is very highly recomended
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM
priscilla ls1

Where do I find one of these?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:43 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

a clear bra is permanent...If you want the cheap temporary protection, get the blue painters tape at your local hardware store. It comes in different widths.. I believe the widest yuou can get is in 2 inch. It comes off easily when you're ready and it doesn't leave sticky residue.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Jdmjunkie

Duplicolor has a spray on bra thing that comes off with soap and water havent used it but worth a look.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie
Duplicolor has a spray on bra thing that comes off with soap and water havent used it but worth a look.
interesting....got a linky?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:10 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, never heard of that; I think I would be scared to use something like that. Sounds lik it could end up being a big mess.

I've been looking for a solution to this as well, as I'm looking to move from TX to CA in a few months and don't want a permanenet clear bra. If you want a do-it-yourself clear bra material to put on, try this:
http://www.topoftheline.com/paint-ch...tion-tape.html
BUT, this stuff, like the full clear bra kits is a B!TCH to remove.

I've thought about painter's tape, but it seems like it would take at least a couple layers of it to be of any real protection and it would be gawd-awful ugly. I also don't think it would stay on worth a damn for that long of a drive, especially if it rains.

There's racer's tape, too. I e-mailed and inquired about it for this purpose and here's the response I got:
Thanks for the inquire on ISC Racers Tape. We have a line of tape called dull finish racers tape. It is commonly referred to as gaffers tape. It should do the job. I must warn you though, MAKE SURE your paint is in good shape. We have had instances where customers have junk paint jobs on their cars and when they go to remove the tape, it will take off the paint also. You must be careful ! We sell ten's of thousand's of rolls of tape yearly, and I have only seen this happen twice. Both times it was on a cheap paint job !

This is the same tape that every team on the NASCAR circuit uses.

1 roll RT2004DF 2"x 90' black is $ 9.75...we have a variety of colors available, check out our website !

CALL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE !

Thank You,
Sincerely,
Dan Northrop
ISC Racers Tape / Salesmaster Corp
87 Towpath Road
Fairless Hills, PA 19030
phone: (215) 295-2300 ext. 113
fax: (215) 295-6602
www.racerstape.com
dannorthrop@racerstape.com
More info. on racer's tape:
Buy a roll of racer's tape. Racer's tape is NOT duct tape! They both use a cloth backing, but the difference lies in the adhesive. Racer's tape uses a semi-permanent adhesive, whereas duct tape uses permanent adhesive. Duct tape may gain a life-long affinity for your paint, resulting in patches of primer seeing the light of day when your paint goes home with the tape. Racer's tape is an inexpensive way to protect areas that are not covered by a bra. You can even buy it in matching or contrasting colors and make fashion statements if you wish. Tape up the headlights, fog lights, turn signal lights, gaps in the bra and the base of the mirrors that are not covered with the mirror bra. The back radius of the front and rear wheel wells are areas to spend time protecting with racers tape. Cover the inside lip, and outside 2-3 inches of the wheel well opening with the tape. This is the area most likely to get stone chips. A couple of layers will prevent any but the most determined of missiles from damaging your paint. The mirror stems are another place that should be taped. Look at your car head on from a low angle and try to visualize the areas that would be vulnerable to a rock kicked up by a car in front of you. If these areas are not covered by a bra, you may wish to use racer's tape. If some of the adhesive remains on the paint after removal of the tape, a little Oil Flo Safety Solvent on a rag will remove it. Clean with car wash, rinse thoroughly with water and apply additional wax to these areas. I would strongly suggest not taping the windshield, as this adds unnecessary guesswork to your driving experience.
And finally, a cheap, easily accessible solution posted by an NSX owner I found while searching the web is to use sheets of clear 3m contact film that you can get at Home Depot. It protects pretty well for trips like this, isn't as ugly as tape, peels off fairly easily and any residue that is left behind cleans up with windex. So far, this is sounding like the best (and cheapest) method, to me.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:12 PM
priscilla ls1

I dont think this will protect it from rock chips.

The painters tape sounds like a good idea. I just need it for the bumper. and ground effects.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 PM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
while searching the web is to use sheets of clear 3m contact film that you can get at Home Depot. It protects pretty well for trips like this, isn't as ugly as tape, peels off fairly easily and any residue that is left behind cleans up with windex. So far, this is sounding like the best (and cheapest) method, to me.
So Is this 3m film strong enough to protect from rocks and stiff?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Miko

I'd personally drive the car or whatnot, and later down the road re-paint it with *higher* quality paint. Another one of my vehicles has over 100k and the front bumper is in superb condition, not to mention all the freeway driving, etc.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:23 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
So Is this 3m film strong enough to protect from rocks and stiff?
Apparently it is; that's what the guy used it for. It's most deffinitely tougher than painter's tape and comes in larger sheets, so it'd be much easier to get coverage that hundreds of strips of ugly blue tape. You could always double it up for assured protection.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
gwel687

you can always use painters tape, thats what we did with my r32, and a friend did it with his evo.

you dont have to get those weird colors, so it wont look like a fruity 350z haha. But this stuff protects the car really well, and I havnt had any problems with it when I go on trips.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
nofeardude87

I'm thinking about using painter's tape too. Would painter's tape be safe on a freshly painted bumper?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
gwel687

how fresh is the paint, if its like a week old it will be fine.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
brigz

Originally Posted by gwel687
you can always use painters tape, thats what we did with my r32, and a friend did it with his evo.

you dont have to get those weird colors, so it wont look like a fruity 350z haha. But this stuff protects the car really well, and I havnt had any problems with it when I go on trips.

hmm im getting some crazy ideas for whenever i have to do a long distance drive
Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 AM
MustGoFastR

I just had another thought... back in the day when I did alot of scale modeling, I used this clear masking film that I got at an art supply store which I think would work well in this application as well. It's fairly thick clear plastic film with a low-tack, adhesive that leaves no residue. It also comes in sheets that are like 12X16". I think I still have some at home somewhere, I'll have to dig it up and give a little piece of it a test run to see if it'll stick well enough.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:31 AM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I just had another thought... back in the day when I did alot of scale modeling, I used this clear masking film that I got at an art supply store which I think would work well in this application as well. It's fairly thick clear plastic film with a low-tack, adhesive that leaves no residue. It also comes in sheets that are like 12X16". I think I still have some at home somewhere, I'll have to dig it up and give a little piece of it a test run to see if it'll stick well enough.

Thats a good idea, I guess I will go over to home depote and get that 3m contact film stuff and some painters tape and see which one sticks better and wich one leaves less residue and which is thicker for better protection.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 AM
MethodRN
For Sale

As Vo7848 said 3m painters tape! Our team uses it all the time when we go out of town for car shows. Comes off easily but does take time to put on properly.