Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My recent EVO-R experiance (not good, w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Blaumph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My recent EVO-R experiance (not good, w/pics)

I recently purchased an '06 CF lip cover from EVO-R. Jay was quick to respond to my message requesting his original group buy price, and was kind enough to give me that deal. Also it arrived within 3 days of the purchase, which was awesome. The lip cover looked great. Very nice CF piece.
So, during the install process I noticed the top cut was not very even. It did not come close to being a "straight" cut matching the shape of the oem lip. Spent hours trying to get this lip cover so it was not showing huge gaps. The fitment was just not happening. Even when it was as flush as possible, the uneven cut would show gaps.
I emailed Jay, and he said he had just recently test fitted one of the 06 lip covers and found out they had used double sided tape that was too thick, and that they didn't account for this when making the lip covers. So, he advised me to remove the lip cover, and use some extra thin 3m tape, which I happened to already have luckily. I spent awhile using a blow dryer, and tried to carefully remove the lip cover. And though I was careful not to pull to hard, the clear coat cracked badly. To make a long story short (too late)
I emailed Jay, told him what happened and he said he would have recommended I used fishing line. Though I don't see how I could have possibly used fishing line in this situation. Haven't heard back from him for a couple weeks. New emails are just bouncing back. Anyways, here's some pics:

Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Roger V

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one for my 04 didn't line up to well either.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 PM
zpeedDemon

Thx for the heads up!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 AM
onebadfyvo

Sorry to hear about your experience. Ya, you're right about Jay. He seems to be hit and miss. I pm'd him asking for prices for specific items and he has yet to respond. It's been about two weeks and counting.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Mazinger Z

That sucks, but I don't think it's his reponsibility after you cracked that thing yourself... If I were a seller, I wouldn't take it back, but that's me. Maybe Jay will give you a partial refund or something for the fitment issue, but as for the crack...damn, that's sucks.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Blaumph

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
That sucks, but I don't think it's his reponsibility after you cracked that thing yourself... If I were a seller, I wouldn't take it back, but that's me. Maybe Jay will give you a partial refund or something for the fitment issue, but as for the crack...damn, that's sucks.
I would have never had to take the lip cover off if it had:
1. Been cut evenly so there were no large, uneven, ugly gaps.
2. If the product had been test fitted (as shipped) before they started selling them. This way it would have come with much thinner tape as Jay suggested, so the gaps would have been minimized due to a more flush fitment.
It's unfortunate because this experiance with EVO-R was very close to being GREAT. I got a good price, it was shipped incredibly fast, the lip cover looks awesome, and for the most part Jay was very good with communication. If only I hadn't been the guinea pig in test fitting for this product, it would probably be on my car right now and looking sweet.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:45 AM
MustGoFastR

If it didn't line up right, why did you install it with the tape before contacting Jay? You should always pre-fit yourself and resolve any issues before permanently sticking it on.

As for communication, I know Jay has been travelling around the past couple of weeks for Sema; that's why he hasn't been around on the forum much, either. As far as I know, he should be back this week and he's probably got alot of catch-up to do in the email dept. He's also getting the interior CF kits ready to ship out for that GB (which I'm waiting on).

Just keep trying; you'll get a hold of him. I have nothing but good things to say about him in my experiences though I've not had any problems with parts I've ordered.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:40 AM
minispider

Nothing but good transactions with Jay....
Old 11-14-2006, 11:11 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by minispider
Nothing but good transactions with Jay....
+1 Same here.

I also agree with the other member who said "test fit before applying the 3M to your vehicle". This is crucial for a perfect fit. It's sorta like saying I bought a bumper, painted it, and when I installed it, the fit was horrible. If I wanted a perfect fit, I should have pre-fit it before paint to make sure.

Sorry man, good luck with it.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Blaumph

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
If it didn't line up right, why did you install it with the tape before contacting Jay? You should always pre-fit yourself and resolve any issues before permanently sticking it on.

As for communication, I know Jay has been travelling around the past couple of weeks for Sema; that's why he hasn't been around on the forum much, either. As far as I know, he should be back this week and he's probably got alot of catch-up to do in the email dept. He's also getting the interior CF kits ready to ship out for that GB (which I'm waiting on).

Just keep trying; you'll get a hold of him. I have nothing but good things to say about him in my experiences though I've not had any problems with parts I've ordered.
I did. I left the cover slips attached to the tape which was preinstalled on the lip cover. Tested the fitment. It was very snug, but it seemed like it would be fine. Also, the uneven cut on top was not showing as big of gaps since I was able to push the lip cover more flush without the tape sticking.
Jay told me in email they basically screwed up making the lip cover too snug not accounting for the thickness of double sided tape.
As far as him being out of town and not getting back to me about this, it's understandable. Hopefully I'll hear back from him soon.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:38 PM
World Famous Z

I've emailed them on and off regarding some pieces and prices, and no response.

I had a previous dealing with them for interior CF parts that didn't fit at all, and it wasn't very pleasant dealings....

Very hit and miss unfortunately....
Old 11-15-2006, 05:27 AM
nothingremains

he wont ever anwser me..ive been trying to buy the type s wing from him for a few months now but I definately wont beg someone to take my money, ill give it to nissan instead, at least I can have that wing painted and installed by tomorrow
Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 AM
nsxpowered

Here's the thing about how most composites surface in the marketplace on forums.

Some guy knows someone that has a composites shop, so he wanted something made in CF himself for his car. He comes on the forum asking people how many people would be interested. He tells his buddy if he wanted to do the project or not with the potential market. If the composite shop declines he will then ask for deposits on the forum to pay for the project.

Once he gets the project underway and everything is done, the composites shop manufactures somewhere between 10-30 parts and ships it out. If the part fits then that is good, if it is bad, then too bad. The composite shop will not absorb the cost of redoing the mold because of a slight fitment problem because who is going to pay for it?

When it comes to composites shop most people just buy an original part and copies it. There is usually a lot of fitment issues and most of the time they don't even have the car there to work with or test out. If products were actually tested out before sales happened there wouldn't be any issues at all. For example have you heard anyone ever having fitment issues with OEM parts? (except for cars that been in an accident). Good parts can be made from aftermarket companies but they are the few of the masses. Over the years I see more and more of these companies popping up selling junk with absolutely no knowledge or skills in the composites industry and they are trying to pitch a product by spreading misinformation out to the masses. Most people go for the cheap price over the quality, if you are getting something cheap you can't really complain about the quality.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
nothingremains

he finally wrote me back and said they are all of a sudden out of stock
Old 11-16-2006, 01:06 PM
JDMZ33
Vendor - Former Vendor

Guys, I wish I can answer all PM and posted messages on time to all. But I'm still traveling around states and posting pics and reply PM from starbuck. Very sorry for all the delay. But you can be sure I take care all of you. About the lip I took out the one on 06 Hertz rental car with no problem. You must have pull it very hard. It would really be fair for me to geive you partial refund or lower pice on another one.

Jay
Old 11-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Z04

1st rule of bodywork, never tape or fasten anything until you have done a test fit first. lesson learned i hope
Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Blaumph

Originally Posted by JDMZ33
Guys, I wish I can answer all PM and posted messages on time to all. But I'm still traveling around states and posting pics and reply PM from starbuck. Very sorry for all the delay. But you can be sure I take care all of you. About the lip I took out the one on 06 Hertz rental car with no problem. You must have pull it very hard. It would really be fair for me to geive you partial refund or lower pice on another one.

Jay
Thanks Jay,
I understand you are busy, and have been traveling a lot lately. I wish I had known that before I made this post. Anyways, I'd be satisfied with a partial refund.
Thanks,
Mike
Also, if you would have any use for it, I can send you the lip cover.

Last edited by Blaumph; 11-16-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Blaumph

Originally Posted by Z04
1st rule of bodywork, never tape or fasten anything until you have done a test fit first. lesson learned i hope
My reply about the test fit is a few posts above.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 PM
TayTaythatsme04

Jays a good guy I had some problems with a piece I brought and he quickly returned my pms and took care of the issue.

T
Old 11-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like the issue has been resolved, can the rest can be taken into PM's.

thread closed.