Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spoiler situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:52 AM
juniortheo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoiler situation

ok guys i have an 03 with the stock spoiler that comes from nissan. When i want to open my trunk, i have to press the button and pull up at the same time cause of the weight of it,my buddies car he has no spoiler he just presses and it pops open. Now i was wondering anyone with the nismo spoiler does the trunk stay open when you open it? It s alot of weight on the trunk shocks,thinking of installing one. The reason i ask is i had an eclipse with the stock wing before my z and everytime i opened my trunk and reached in for something the trunk would slowly close cause of the weight and hit me in the head,not funny,lol.. Wanna avoid this problem again at all costs..thanks..
Old 12-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Jonathan Allyn

I have to hold mine when I pop it.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:59 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

Originally Posted by juniortheo
Wanna avoid this problem again at all costs..thanks..
Buy stronger shocks or remove the spoiler. End of story.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:04 AM
stein

^^ I don't think it's the dampers (shocks), more likely something with the locking mechanism not pushing the hatch up.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be doing a group by on stronger hatch shocks/struts for those with Nismo or similar wings. I placed an order, and 10 sets should be arriving by next week. I will start a For Sale thread when I get them in, and ship out to the first 10 people that want the shocks. If you are interested, add your name to the group buy, and I'll PM you when the shipment arrives.

Here is the feeler thread: https://my350z.com/forum/questionable-posts/237585-feeler-stronger-hatch-struts-to-use-with-spoilers.html#post3104738

Currently, if you just have an OEM or no spoiler and the hatch isn't "popping" enough to clear the latch...you are experiencing a common problem. This should alleviate your problem: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=hatch

When you use this guide DO NOT use more than 2 or 3 pennies...there is a rod that extends as spring is compressed, and if you use more than 3 pennies, the rod will extend too much, and leave a ding in the sheet metal of your hatch.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 AM
juniortheo

hey rookie,the reason i m asking is cause i wanna install the nismo spoiler,not just remove the factory one. The last thing i wanna do is carry a broom stick in my trunk and use it to hold up the trunk like i ve seen some people do,lol
Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 AM
HighwaySpeed

Exclamation

Hatch release problems are noted for '03 models.

Doing a SEARCH helps a lot!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:24 AM
juniortheo

ok guys i m aware of the hatch release problems,thats not what this thread is about, What i m asking is will the trunk hold with the nismo spoiler? or do i have to change the shocks after the spoiler is installed?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 AM
jtabraham

the OEM hatch shocks are NOT strong enough to hold with a Nismo Spoiler (which is usually about 10-15 pounds). Currently, the only options available are getting Nismo shocks for $230, or sending them out to be rebuilt...OR you could buy a heavier-duty set from me, when I get them in over the next few days (see my feeler thread)

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3104738
Old 12-21-2006, 07:29 AM
juniortheo

perfect thanks dude, i mean while the car is at the shop i might as well do it all at once,thanks you just saved me another trip ..
Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 AM
jtabraham

No problem...don't forget to add your name to the feeler thread so I don't forget to let you know when they come in.

The most difficult part of replacing the shocks is removing the old ones. After trying with no luck to remove the retaining clip in the ball socket, I finally decided to use a Dremel with a cutting wheel and just cut the ball socket off...took a total of 25-30 minutes from start to finish in my apartment parking lot, so it really shouldn't take a body shop more then 15 minutes or so for the entire job. In fact I would be surprised if they don't just throw it in when they install your spoiler.

Good luck with the Nismo spoiler! I love the look of mine more and more every day.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:02 AM
SOCAL350

Depending on what model you have there is a counter balance weight on the hatch under the plastic. Taking mine out made a big difference.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:20 AM
HighwaySpeed

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SOCAL350
All 350Z coupes have a counter balance weight on the hatch under the plastic. Taking mine out made a big difference.
+1
Old 12-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Sleeper01

its an 03 the shocks are going to wear out....soo you have to either change the shocks or put 2 pennies in, its bound to happen to every Z no matter what year it is..just throw in the 2pennies and it should work fine....i did it last week and my trunk is popping like new.....jtabraham gave u a thread started by ED 718 gives u pics and everything madd easy to do......just my 2cents
Old 12-23-2006, 12:30 PM
ldawg32

i have the nismo spoiler and when its cold out the trunk closes. it seems when its warm out it stays open. i didngt know they had an upgraded shock system for the trunk, does n e one have info on this
Old 12-23-2006, 12:45 PM
HIGHTECHZ

Default Trunk Pop fix

Ok fellas, check it out.

On the hatch there are two small nubs, one on either side right in the middle. These are adjustable springs. Just give them a couple turns to the left and the hatch will pop correctly when you hit the button.

As for the wing, what kind of heavy a$$ wings are you putting on your z's that make the, already heavy a$$ hatch not able to rise? If it cant rise, or doesn't stay, the struts are just bad. Get new ones for 20-30 a piece, no biggie, they go bad over time. It's not that you have such a heavy wing (unless you do really have a heavy wing and that is just nutz). The Nismo is about as big and heavy as they get and it is used on stock vehicles, so most of you guys should be ok, as long as your struts are ok.

Let me know on this because I could be wrong. But unless stock z's with a nismo wing installed at the dealer also come with stronger struts, they should not need new struts unless the struts are bad. Which I know for a fact happens over time to all cars and more so in colder temperatures.

Last edited by HIGHTECHZ; 12-23-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:25 PM
CaliTouring

Is the car still under warrant? If yes, take it to the dealer.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:14 PM
bofa

I have the Nismo wing and the stock shocks hold the hatch up just fine. I did have to do the 2-penney trick though to help with opening it.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:41 PM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by bofa
I have the Nismo wing and the stock shocks hold the hatch up just fine. I did have to do the 2-penney trick though to help with opening it.
2 penny trick? hows that work??

mine doesnt wanna stay up in the cold, and my nimo wing doesnt add 2 the fun either, however my cf hatch should help out a bit.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:27 PM
bofa

The penny trick wont help hold the hatch open. It just helps with the release that opens the hatch. You pretty much use a couple of pennies as spacers to give the hatch springs a little more umph when they open. There's a whole thread on it here somewhere. But like I said, it won't help hold the hatch open.

Quick Reply: spoiler situation