Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do now, paint dont match, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
bisdakr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the low lighting makes it look a bit better in the pictures but right next to each other in person its way off its like putting a regular white paper next to you white Z. the sticker says "bisdak".
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
bisdakr

I should have researched some more, the only thing I researched is the make sure the paint code was QX1, but I still think that QX1 for 350z should atleast be a close match not this way off. I mean coming from a person who has no knowledge about paint they should have mentioned that it would be this way off! like I said take a white paper and compare it to your white Z this is how my front bumper looks like next to my Z.

Last edited by bisdakr; 01-18-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just like the others have said...going to Macco was a huge mistake.
Other than the mis-color match, are you happy with the paint job? The reason I ask is that if your satisfied with the paint job....go back to them with your car and see if they can work with you to get the exact color match. Body shops have a meter which they use to come up with the exact color. Maybe the shop will do the job over at no charge to satisfy their customers. Most shops will! Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:06 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

What kind of front plate is that? Its not Texas correct?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Grommit

QX1 is the correct paint code for PPW.

I'm not surprised the paint came out that way. All the times I've had my Z painted the bumpers never came out right even though the shop used QX1. There is so much involved in matching paint that will effect how the color comes out on the finished product. Basically, you can give two painters the SAME paint from the same batch and have them paint the same part. Both of them will come out looking slightly different from each other due to the different strokes/patters/density/etc.

The only way you'll get things to match up right is either the shop will be VERY lucky and get it right the second time (yeah right) or you'll have to pay a little more and have them blend the paint into your hood/fenders.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't they offer some kind of guarantee when they tell you the color will match?

and also, even maaco says you need to leave the car there or at least a part so they can color match. unless you refused. or if you got a crappy franchise location (all independantly owned and operated, so it is not consistent)
Old 01-18-2007, 02:55 PM
bisdakr

nope, they didn't have me leave any piece of the car there, though when I brought the bumper in they were looking for the car so they can get the vin number and paint code which I had with me. The lady said it was going to be a close possible match and not perfect, I knew that already. I didn't know it was going to be way off. Anyways I took my car and the bumper in and showed them how off it was and they said basically it didn't have enought pearl in there to make it look less white. They said they needed a piece of the car so they can match it, which they didn't tell me in the first place. I took a close look at my car and the side skirts, mud guards and the car itself are different tones but not a huge difference. They took my mudguard since it was plastic they said they could match it better. They said I would have to pay but I don't know how much yet, The lady was nice enough to say that she will try to work it out with the owner. sorry for the long post.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Generally speaking now with the paint technology the way it is, a good painter should be able to use the computer code and then colour match by eye if it's not bang on, so this is why it's best to have the vehicle there with the bit to be painted, I'm sorry I know this doesn't help. But you maybe able to ask the painter to apply this idea. Definitely worth a try.

One of my mates with a red 350, purchased some touch up paint from a Nissan dealer only to find although it said it was "Burning Red" and the applicable code the colour red NZ 350's are called the touch up paint was more orangey and wrong. So it does happen.

I would definitely try my suggestion though. Good luck.

Oh, one other though, when the paint has fully cured, sometimes a lot of very well applied wax can hide a multitude of things. For instance bronze 350's stock bumpers are slightly darker than metal panels.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Forujames

I bet it matches your mud flaps. I have an '06 PPW-the mud flaps that came on it are much whiter. And yes, as someone asked, PPW is a basecoat, midcoat, clearcoat process. I think the two variables are the material and the amount of midcoat. Good luck! James
Old 01-18-2007, 04:00 PM
unkn0wn ryder

shoulda done what everyone said... done reseach on it first... and sorry you wasted that much money on it.... too bad your all the way down in mcallen.... my friends dad painted my front bumper and front lip.... there was a slight difference but not much but that was just cuz of the slight fade and weather..... but you wanna make a road trip down in the fort hood area i can hit you up with the info.... on btw i did the same thing you did... i just dropped off the parts and picked it up when it was done..... i was amazed on how good he match the paint....

Originally Posted by bisdakr
Hi guys just got my aerosync bumper painted at maaco and gave them the paint code QX1 as it said on the door, got the bumper back today, took it home and the paint doesn't even match!!!not even close its a totaly different type of white, I have an 06 and paint code says QX1, I called the lady at Maaco and she said they painted it QX1 could there be another QX1? what should I do now, I just paid $350 for paint that doesn't even match, it looks like the white that comes on the rx8 my white is more of a dirty white. need help guys, did I get the paint code right? I did a search and for pikes peak white it says QX1, could it be their fault?

Old 01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You make mistakes and learn......... I've done similar things before tuning my Mustang GT... So, don't feel so bad...

1. You never ever let the shop paint the parts without your car being there to match the color. If the shop guy tells you to "just bring the bumper". Then DO NOT go to that shop ever again!!! For a perfect match, a painter needs to take time adjusting the color by hand mixing after computer initially mixes the paint by code. Then paint a test paper and put it up against your car itself under the direct sunlight and in the shades... So, it's not simple as "just bring your part and give me your paint code".
2. You NEVER EVER take it to Macco...
3. You get what you pay for. If you decide to paint it at the cheapest shop, there probably is a reason why it's so cheap.. Either the paint they use is cheap, they don't barely prep the body before painting, or don't hand mix the paint... etc, etc.....
4. Matching bumper paint color is almost impossible. This is so because the surface of the urethane bumper is different from the surface of the metal. So, the perl flakes seat differently, thus gives off different reflection of the color... Even the factory bumpers have slight different color variation from the rest of the body.

Last edited by leeboyNY; 01-18-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 PM
bisdakr

yea they said the urethane bumper would have a different tone than on metal so it would still be off but not so much, they took my bumper guard which is plastic to match with the urethane bumper, they're going to fix it but they said they may charge me. I still feel like its not entirely my fault, just because I gave them all the info they asked for and they didn't ask for the car, my only hope is that they realize its also their fault and not charge me so much. I've had previous jobs done by Maaco and it turned out pretty good, the bumper came out nice, it just wasn't the right tone. The reason I took it to a proffesional is because I've taken my parts to other places before and paint job wasnt so good and when you take it back. there is no such thing as take it back when it comes to these places. And I live in a small town so maaco is the only place I know that will warant their jobs.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:32 PM
cturnbull802

take it back and have them redo it. obviously they messed up
Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 PM
tractng

I just had my stillen spoiler painted on a ppw 2005. When comparing the shade of the painted spoiler to the rear bumper, it closely matches the paint. But if I compare it against the metal part of the trunk, the paint is off.

When it is dark or sunset, the color is way off!! This was done at well known bodyshop called DTM.

Is is very hard to match!! Same thing with my previous chrome silver z.

tony
Old 01-19-2007, 07:27 AM
azula

Originally Posted by tractng
I just had my stillen spoiler painted on a ppw 2005. When comparing the shade of the painted spoiler to the rear bumper, it closely matches the paint. But if I compare it against the metal part of the trunk, the paint is off.

When it is dark or sunset, the color is way off!! This was done at well known bodyshop called DTM.

Is is very hard to match!! Same thing with my previous chrome silver z.

tony

+100000000, i have a db z and i had a blitz wing painted and installed, if you look at it in the right or "wrong" lighting, the paint looks to be way off, in the sun it looks like a perfect match.....i might have to get it repainted, no body has noticed yet so i don't see a problem.....as soon as some one points it out, back to the body shop i go! lol.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:47 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
And the only reason you don't have a kit is because your stupid a$$ keeps ******* them up like your V1 lip How you like them apples?
hahahahaha, you got me here...i have nothing witty to reply with.

I pulled forward too far and bumped the curb at subway one day and scratched it a bit, i didn't hit hard, just enough to scuff the paint. It is all spider webbed anyhow b/c of the lame (probably maaco) shop that painted it before i bought it(no flex agent). Come on man, they freakin sanded the raised veilside lettering off, wtf kind of operation is that. Anywho...i'm am praying that Tony1 will want to sell his nismo parts soon so i can get the kit he has, seems to match very well.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM
bisdakr

I completely understand that it will not perfectly match but sun, or no sun dark or no light its not even close, they are repainting the bumper now and i'm sure it will not match but hopefully it not like putting white paper next to ppw. i'll let you guys know how it looks after the repaint.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:21 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

I'm really scurred after this these stories. I just bought a new front bumper, side skirts and rear skirt for my silver stone. The Z is 03 and never been garaged. I hope I can find a body shop good enough to do a perfect color matching!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:30 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should have told you they couldn't match the paint without having a paint sample to match it to.. That's just stupid on their part. Butthen again they are Macco. Yes they offer the "Ambassador service". They will paint any car for $199. Good body shops are very hard to find. I drove 2 hours away to have my car painted by a reputable body shop. I dropped my bumper and sides off for them to prep and the first thing the guy said was "I can't paint these until I have your car to match the color to."

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 01-19-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:13 PM
bisdakr

yup that's why I think its partly their fault because not everyone knows about paint mechanics.

Quick Reply: What to do now, paint dont match, HELP!