Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Mud Guards

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 11:34 AM
EvEr_34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Mud Guards

Just wondering if anyone' paint is chipping there where the mud guards would normally go. I don't really like the look (personal opinion of course) of the guards...but i will install them if the paint is prone to chipping in those areas.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:45 PM
EvEr_34

not even one answer or comment????
Old 04-01-2003, 05:30 PM
fotodad

Originally posted by EvEr_34
not even one answer or comment????
EvEr_34,

I live in Wisconsin were my tires spin a lot due to the tires slipping. Plus the tires, front and back, kick up a lot of stones and salt. After cleaning the car I noticed the bottom, back of all the wheel wells the paint had literally been worn away. I would guess the stones, snow, and salt acted like sand paper and wore the paint away. I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but it certainly is troubling. I have bought front and rear splash guards. I'm not excited about how they make the car look, but I think they may be a necessary evil. Now, my next question is, will the paint wear away on the splash guards, too...putting me right back were I started. I haven't noticed any paint chipping on the quarter panel or doors, YET, due to stones kicked up.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:46 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4500miles, and nothing that Ive noticed.

consider 3m clear bra for those areas if you worried.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Dean

Not only did I get the "mud guards," but I even placed custom cut 3M clear bra film on the painted surfaces.

Talk about **** retentive, "belt and suspenders" protection.

Dean
Old 04-01-2003, 08:11 PM
fotodad

Default I M P R E S S I V E !

Dean,

I wouldn't call that **** retentive! I'd call it SMART! Great idea!

Is this the same stuff that Stongard, invisashield, and Xpel are made from?
Where did you buy the 3M stuff?
How easy was it to put on?
How does it attach? (adhesive or shrink wrap or static?)
How long did it take to put the stuff on?
Did you put your own splash guards on, or did the dealer?
If you did, was it easy?

Wow! Lots of questions! Please respond as best you can. I greatly appreciate it!

Michael
Old 04-02-2003, 03:33 AM
EvEr_34

thank you
Old 04-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Dean

Micheal,

It's actually not that difficult to install small segments of the 3M Scotchcal film, especially if the surface is flat. Large film pieces on complex curves (i.e. the 350Z bumper) can be very difficult.

Stongard, Invincishield, Invsiguard, Dynashield and Xpel all use the same 8 mil 3M protection film. You can buy the film in bulk for about $9.50/ft (18" wide) directly from www.xpel.com

From my experience, it's very difficult to cleanly cut the film with standard scissors or knives. For the custom mud flap pieces I drew a pattern on the film's backing paper and cut it with a rotary (i.e. pizza cutter) knife from a hobby shop. The cuts looked smooth and continuous. Whenever possible I simply wrapped the extra film around the edges to hide them.

The splash guards themselves are very easy to install. Nissan does a nice job with integrating their mud guards.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old 04-02-2003, 06:22 PM
ruacop2

You can buy the film in bulk for about $9.50/ft (18" wide) directly from www.xpel.com
Dean,

That is a little expensive I think. I found the same measurements at this place www.rockblocker.com. You can get the same piece for $5.78. I thought you might like to know.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:32 PM
fotodad

Default THANKS!

Originally posted by Dean
Micheal,

It's actually not that difficult to install small segments of the 3M Scotchcal film, especially if the surface is flat. Large film pieces on complex curves (i.e. the 350Z bumper) can be very difficult.

Stongard, Invincishield, Invsiguard, Dynashield and Xpel all use the same 8 mil 3M protection film. You can buy the film in bulk for about $9.50/ft (18" wide) directly from www.xpel.com

From my experience, it's very difficult to cleanly cut the film with standard scissors or knives. For the custom mud flap pieces I drew a pattern on the film's backing paper and cut it with a rotary (i.e. pizza cutter) knife from a hobby shop. The cuts looked smooth and continuous. Whenever possible I simply wrapped the extra film around the edges to hide them.

The splash guards themselves are very easy to install. Nissan does a nice job with integrating their mud guards.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Dean,

Thanks for the info. How exactly does the 3M film stay on the surface of the splash guard?
Old 04-02-2003, 07:33 PM
fotodad

Originally posted by ruacop2
Dean,

That is a little expensive I think. I found the same measurements at this place www.rockblocker.com. You can get the same piece for $5.78. I thought you might like to know.
ruacop2,

Thanks for the heads-up on the 3M supplier! I'll check them out.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Dean

The "sticky" side of the film has a thin layer of adhesive. A 30% alcohol / 70% water solution allows you to reposition and align the film without affecting the strength of the adhesive.

Click on this link for more technical details:
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
Old 04-02-2003, 07:40 PM
fotodad

Default 3M left-overs for sale?

Anybody have some bulk 3M film left-over that would be enough to cover four splash guards? I'd like to do what Dean did and cover my splash guards with the stuff before I install them on the car. If you think you've got enough, let's talk turkey. Dean, maybe you can give me an idea of how much I'd need.

Thanks!

Michael
Old 04-02-2003, 07:59 PM
ruacop2

Michael,

The product is designed to fit snug as a rug. It can be even streched if needed, but there you want need too. Take a piece of paper and trace out the pattern and then install like Dean said. If you need to pick it up you can and reapply. Just amke sure that you keep it wet. Also dont press real hard. Just a nice even stroke. Let it cure and attach itself. Less problems. The product breathes and shrinks like a shirt through cycles.

You probably need about 2 ft by 18 inch I would guess. Wow $15.00 with shipping. Better then repainting, right?