Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting the entire car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Brooksie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer I'm gonna have to get my car repainted, its got a **** load of acid rain spots from sitting in the damn rain
Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM
03Zilverstone

Some of you guys are crazy. It takes a hell of a base to run the supply list up to $2000. Clears are usually $100-$200 a gallon. I just bought 4 quarts (they don't sell it by the gallon) of HOK glamour metallic for less than $200. Reducer and thinner can be had for less than $100 for both. Primer about $70. That's around $600 for top of the line supplies, took some off primer since it won't even typically take a quart. You can get a good paint job for that price if it's the stock color. However you will need to cough up a bit more for a color change. Some of you guys to learn what you're talking about before you go giving "facts".

Last edited by 03Zilverstone; 02-02-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by Grommit
My Z is in the shop getting the entire car repainted. The cost is ~$5,400. That includes quality glasurit paint + labor. A crap load of labor.

You have to remember they need to sand, prep, prime, remove glass, head/tail lamps, seals, door handles, etc. to make the paint look good.

You'll get what you pay for. I'd stay away from cheap places.

You only have to prime over bare metal, body filler, glaze, or deep scratches. Anyone that primes over a stock clear needs to have their head examined.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:14 AM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by 03Zilverstone
You only have to prime over bare metal, body filler, glaze, or deep scratches. Anyone that primes over a stock clear needs to have their head examined.

This is true ^^^

I paint car parts and i would totally agree about no need for primer over a stock 350z paint job. unless its got deep scratches.

and thats just spot repair at most.

-B-
Old 02-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Grommit

My car was rear ended. Replaced all damaged parts (hatch, bumper, quarter panels, etc.). Plus doing a color change. thus everything is getting sanded down. Most of the price goes to cover labor involved, the total paint cost is about $500.

Hope that clears it up.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Grommit

Some of you guys are crazy. It takes a hell of a base to run the supply list up to $2000. Clears are usually $100-$200 a gallon. I just bought 4 quarts (they don't sell it by the gallon) of HOK glamour metallic for less than $200. Reducer and thinner can be had for less than $100 for both. Primer about $70. That's around $600 for top of the line supplies, took some off primer since it won't even typically take a quart. You can get a good paint job for that price if it's the stock color. However you will need to cough up a bit more for a color change. Some of you guys to learn what you're talking about before you go giving "facts".
Unless you're going to paint it yourself, most shops do charge for a thing called "labor".
Old 02-03-2007, 11:48 AM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by Grommit
Unless you're going to paint it yourself, most shops do charge for a thing called "labor".
I was responding to the people that were saying the supplies would cost the $2000 that he was wanting to spend.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
ryan350z

Ok, I am sure this was directed towards me. You have 600 for materials, sounds about right. But if you are a DIY going to have to get a air compressor, paint gun's, sandpaper, masking materials, rent a booth or create a booth in your garage, misc tools your going to need to purchase along the way. Can't just tell someone buy paint anf thats all.It is not just the paint but everything else that will get you. And if your doing a color change your going to want to R&I the glass in the car, new mouldings. Your going to pull the motor then you have other misc cost like engine fulids. It is called the nickel and dime effect. It is a large undertaking to do it right. Good luck if you move forward with it. If you do it please post some pics I enjoy watching someones vision come to fact.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wasnt going to get into it but I agree with Ryan ---Iv done it ---Restoration is what it is ----Christ its a job if u want it perfect , thats the reason I dont do it anymore, and tell u what , if u get all ur paint, thinner, Primer-More thinner,Hardener, sealer,Clear Coat for 600.00 ur lucky or getting crap. Plus, paper---jeez , that adds up,before and after u paint.
Hoods off,--- as is doors,Hatch, engine if u do it right,Bumpers,maybe Glass,Handles,
Makes me want to puke remembering what I charged for that, only to have the idiot point out a piece of lint on the corner of the door
Old 02-04-2007, 06:19 PM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by ryan350z
Ok, I am sure this was directed towards me. You have 600 for materials, sounds about right. But if you are a DIY going to have to get a air compressor, paint gun's, sandpaper, masking materials, rent a booth or create a booth in your garage, misc tools your going to need to purchase along the way. Can't just tell someone buy paint anf thats all.It is not just the paint but everything else that will get you. And if your doing a color change your going to want to R&I the glass in the car, new mouldings. Your going to pull the motor then you have other misc cost like engine fulids. It is called the nickel and dime effect. It is a large undertaking to do it right. Good luck if you move forward with it. If you do it please post some pics I enjoy watching someones vision come to fact.
My bad. The way I took your post was that if he brought it to a shop the supplies alone would cost $2000.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:23 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good topic... I'm quoted $1500 to paint my body kit (whole front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper skirt). The main concern that I have is the color matching since my 03 Z is never garaged and is probably a little faded. So by adding 1k I can guarantee that it'll be matched and I get fresh new paint.. Hmm...
Old 02-04-2007, 06:25 PM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
I wasnt going to get into it but I agree with Ryan ---Iv done it ---Restoration is what it is ----Christ its a job if u want it perfect , thats the reason I dont do it anymore, and tell u what , if u get all ur paint, thinner, Primer-More thinner,Hardener, sealer,Clear Coat for 600.00 ur lucky or getting crap. Plus, paper---jeez , that adds up,before and after u paint.
Hoods off,--- as is doors,Hatch, engine if u do it right,Bumpers,maybe Glass,Handles,
Makes me want to puke remembering what I charged for that, only to have the idiot point out a piece of lint on the corner of the door

gal PPG DBC base coat - $220
gal PPG DCB100 clear - $100
gal Omni SV primer - $60
5 gal laqcuer thinner - $35
1.5 gal PPG reducer - $70

That brings the total to $485 plus tape paper and supplies. You're getting rooked if you think that's cheap. I do body work for a living. And as I said before I'm talking supplies only.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:27 PM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by bb1314
This is a good topic... I'm quoted $1500 to paint my body kit (whole front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper skirt). The main concern that I have is the color matching since my 03 Z is never garaged and is probably a little faded. So by adding 1k I can guarantee that it'll be matched and I get fresh new paint.. Hmm...
I hope they do an immaculate job for that price. I would probably charge around 2/3 that price for just the kit.