Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber B-Pillar Covers... pics inside ->

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 11:53 AM
350z-z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How do you install them ???

So.....how do these CF B-Pillar covers get installed? Simply Stick on (3M double sided tape) or you need to remove the OEM cover and replace with this set? Thanks!!!

By the way, I love these CF B-Pillar covers! They are very cool!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:03 PM
sdpearso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They replace the stock b-pillar covers. They just snap on...takes about 30 seconds per side.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:42 PM
RDLNE350Z

I love it when these guys out here call even body kits ricey.
Its funny to me because this car comes from japan. almost every z you see anywhere on the net from japan is kitted up. Look at pics of the tokyo auto salon. Yea there are alot of stock looking Z's there. these guys like making the z an american car. He probably had a mustang before the Z.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:51 PM
old_s13

Originally posted by sdpearso
They replace the stock b-pillar covers. They just snap on...takes about 30 seconds per side.
Ah.. so easy to install...

... and yet, so easy to steal. Its a shame manufacturers sometimes make items so accessable. Its a good thing no one is really interested in stealing the stock ones!

Personally, I dont care much for them. I dont like the words "rice," and I dont think most of the people on this forum use the word correctly. Unless you see a Z with yellow painted calipers (non-brembo), pep boys pads, led insert bulbs, led nozzes, 3A racing seats, erebuni shogun kit, pacesetter headers and a bro-speed exhaust -- its not rice.

The Z is a classy car, its a heart-wrenching experience seeing people with poor taste modify them. I've seen it happen to all types of cars, from Ferrari's to Hondas -- there's no stopping it.

I just call it bad taste, the word rice is more or less derogatory.. so I try not to use it. The inserts are okay if your car is just 100% carbon fiber, like the enzo ferrari.. but the Z is not, so I am not a big fan of those parts. I am not against them, just dont find them appealing or functional.

- Mike
Old 07-11-2003, 03:18 PM
sdpearso

Originally posted by old_s13
Ah.. so easy to install...

... and yet, so easy to steal. Its a shame manufacturers sometimes make items so accessable. Its a good thing no one is really interested in stealing the stock ones!
Actually, you need to open the doors to remove them...so if your car is locked, they won't come off in one piece.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:36 PM
CSHFLW

I like em....They cost $59 for very other car made though....and thats for four pieces normally.

Even the ones from Toyota of Japan for my Lexus GS only Cost me $90.

$220 is just rediclously high...not to be rude.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:02 AM
pinnacleliquid

Default Yes, way too expensive and

I could produce them for $50.00 A set. Real carbon fiber, laser cut exactly. with 3M4229P exterior rated tape. Yes they can be stolen but they will be ripping the whole panel off with it. To replace the factory black panel cost about $40.00 each side from your local dealer.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:40 AM
old_s13

"I could produce them for $50.00 A set. Real carbon fiber, laser cut exactly. with 3M4229P exterior rated tape. Yes they can be stolen but they will be ripping the whole panel off with it. To replace the factory black panel cost about $40.00 each side from your local dealer."

Wouldnt the difference be that yours will be over-lays, while the ones they sell are FULL CARBON FIBER?

There appears to be a difference.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:26 PM
pinnacleliquid

Default yep

"I could produce them for $50.00 A set. Real carbon fiber, laser cut exactly. with 3M4229P exterior rated tape. Yes they can be stolen but they will be ripping the whole panel off with it. To replace the factory black panel cost about $40.00 each side from your local dealer."

Wouldnt the difference be that yours will be over-lays, while the ones they sell are FULL CARBON FIBER?

There appears to be a difference.
The ones I can produce are overlays. Sorry if that was not clear. The advantage? None really. The diff between the two installs would be barely perceptible. I saw a set yesterday and they look great. The big diif is the price. Is it worth an extra $170.00 to have the socalled full set? Cause from 5 feet away, straight on no one can tell the difference.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:34 PM
nismofan

I dont know what everyone else is talking about. Those carbon bits look awesome. Carbon fiber is a subtle and exotic looking material. It looks especially badass on the daytona blue!
Old 07-12-2003, 02:57 PM
topeewala

i dont think theyd look so bad on an SB
Old 07-12-2003, 07:42 PM
old_s13

Default Re: yep

Originally posted by pinnacleliquid
The ones I can produce are overlays. Sorry if that was not clear. The advantage? None really. The diff between the two installs would be barely perceptible. I saw a set yesterday and they look great. The big diif is the price. Is it worth an extra $170.00 to have the socalled full set? Cause from 5 feet away, straight on no one can tell the difference.
Not trying to hate on your business, but its this exact mentality in which people like yourself feel vaneer wood is acceptable.

Personally, I hate vaneer anything, whether its wood, carbon fiber, or teeth covers (which are commonly used in the dental industry).

I can appreciate some of your products, I saw on your site you did some work on certain BMW's and other high-end cars which commonly use wood or carbon fiber for interior accenting -- that, I can understand.

For me, I dont like things that are fake.. I'de rather keep it plastic than cover something in fake carbon fiber or wood appearance. If you're gonna make something out of wood, make it out of wood. This is the same reason I hate Las Vegas, all the walls look like they are made of marble, but feel like they are made of styrafoam when you pound on them!!!

...and dont get me started on implants!

boooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 07-12-2003, 08:56 PM
pinnacleliquid

Default Interesting

Not trying to hate on your business, but its this exact mentality in which people like yourself feel vaneer wood is acceptable.

Personally, I hate vaneer anything, whether its wood, carbon fiber, or teeth covers (which are commonly used in the dental industry).

I can appreciate some of your products, I saw on your site you did some work on certain BMW's and other high-end cars which commonly use wood or carbon fiber for interior accenting -- that, I can understand.

For me, I dont like things that are fake.. I'de rather keep it plastic than cover something in fake carbon fiber or wood appearance. If you're gonna make something out of wood, make it out of wood. This is the same reason I hate Las Vegas, all the walls look like they are made of marble, but feel like they are made of styrafoam when you pound on them!!!

Well yeah, Vegas is a fine example of phony glittery coverings but,
Did you know the finest woodworking examples can only be accomplished with the use of veneer? A rolls Royce dashboard has never been solid burlwood. Nor has any vehicle ever made. Solid burlwood CANNOT be used for that purpose for a variety of reasons. One being cost. The other is it is unstable in solid form. Its grain has no uniform direction. It is all over the place. It twists and turns over time. This can also be said for most other woods. Zebrano in the Mercedes is veneer. Even as a straight grain wood, in solid form it is too unpredictable and its movement cannot be controlled. to Illustrate a bit more, a ten foot plank 10 inches wide, 1 inch thick, left to itself is going to twist every which way eventually, but a plywood board (which is just a pile of veneers glued together, will not ever exhibit the same behavior. The other thing is many woods are prized for thier beautiful grain patterns which can only be seen if it is processed into a veneer form.
About the only solid burlwood items made these days are pipes. The tobacco kind.
And whether it is my carbon fiber stick on or his carbon fiber replacement panel, they are both VENEERS. Just a difference in processes to the same end.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:53 AM
topeewala

jeez...........u 2 really know ur wood.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:47 PM
old_s13

Pinnacle, I agree with you.. wood definately has a tendancy to warp.. no doubt about that. But, thats not to say that vaneer is any better.. its basically particle board with an upper layer of high-priced wood -- that is what bothers me.

For automotive use, I personally dont see anything wrong with vaneer which has been coated with a clear/laquer-like finish.. thats all fine and dandy if that is the look you are going for. As for the carbon-fiber look or laminate, I am against that. There is absolutely no point to doing anything like that. I despise products where the sole intention of the product is to fool others into thinking its something its not.

Again, there is a reason the TRUE carbon fiber b-pillar covers cost that much.. REAL CF was never designed to be "affordable." Well, not until the recent trend of making low-grade CF/Fiberglas hoods for $300 bucks started happening.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:46 AM
Blue Liquid

Some of the people calling this piece 'rice' are also rolling on heavy 19 inch bling wheels. The only thing a 19 inch wheel on a Z will do is slow it down, hardly a 'performance' mod. Lightweight 17's on a Z is a performance mod. So the 19's are for looks then, just as the CF B pillar is. Someone said it, ricey car owners buy their products from Pep Boys and the like. This piece isn't true 'rice'. It's a tasteful addition to the car, not a 3 foot aluminum wing or altezzas.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:27 AM
CaneZMD

I'd buy it. It looks great and adds like 6 ounces probably. However, $200 is kind of steep IMO.