Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Point Rollbar for 350z's!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:21 AM
jimmytango00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Point Rollbar for 350z's!

It seems a few people are interested in a 4point roll bar. Some of you probably saw my last thread but for those who didn't me and a buddy are making a four point roll bar for 350z's. We were supposed to get started this weekend but we couldn't purchase a tube notcher since the place was closed. We will probably get started on the first cage next weekend. We will offer them in black and silver but will also offer custom colors (nothing to wild though) but of course for an extra charge. These cages will be made to SCCA regulations.We will be focusing on 4 point but if your looking for a 6 point cage let us know and we can make one for you. I'll keep you updated,hopefully we will have pictures of the fist cage by the end of next week.Let me know what you guys think...we really need some feed back and any ideas would be help full since these are for you guys. These will be made of steel but chromoly would also be an option for a higher price. Id like to get a list going to see how many people are actually interested

ESTIMATED PRICES: (steel)

4 Point Roll bar - basic black/silver $400-$450 custom color add $60-$70
6 Point Roll bar - basic black/silver $550-$650 custom color add $60-$70
Old 02-18-2007, 03:30 AM
LvntheZ

make one first.... and then show us so we can see what ur working with.... also lets get some dimensions.... thickness of "steel".... what kind?..... try some testing or something?.... if ur gonna want to make something and sell it make sure you know exactly what u are doing look at different things people might want..... plus its 500 bucks i want to see some quality....
Old 02-18-2007, 05:01 AM
bofa

I'd be interested in the 4-point but I agree- let's see some pics, stats, and tests.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

who's going to spec it/ or certify it for you????? interested but you'll def need some pics
Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 AM
jimmytango00

I'll get you guys more details tonight. The cages are going to be clean as hell, which is the only reason we came up with these numbers...i'll get you more specs on what type of steel we're using and what size. All this thread was for was to see if its worth making these...we're just trying to see how many people are interested.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pretty tied up market as it is....the Kirk one is as good as it gets, and the same price point
Old 02-18-2007, 10:49 AM
driftk1d

kirk bars are bout as good as they get...
Old 02-18-2007, 06:32 PM
jimmytango00

Roll bar's are going to be made of 1.750 x .135 DOM mild steel tube. Thats enough to support a Street car. If you like one built of chromemoly let us know. There is going to be a inspection hole to check thickness.(If you would like to). If you guys have any other other questions please let us know.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
horse110

Do you guys make half cage for s2000 by any chance...?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
jimmytango00

no we dont ...but we can make one for you . is this a conv. or hardtop?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

subscribing for pics
Old 02-18-2007, 06:51 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

As a SCCA tech inspector, I'd like to clarify one point: your four-point cage won't cut it. Six-point is the minimum and you'll need to mandate two side impact bars (for both sides of the car) as well as a petty bar in the main hoop to make it through an SCCA inspection. Rollcage specs are available in the 2007 GCR at scca.com and your customers may want to know look at that information prior to ordering a cage.

Last edited by dkmura; 02-18-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 PM
jimmytango00

So sorry, I forgot to post that the 6-point were going to be the minimum requirements for SCCA. Correct the minimum is 6-point to run in SCCA. This was just a case of not enough information posted. 6- point is the minimum for SCCA.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:02 AM
THE TECH

Pics needed! Will they be bolt in or weld in?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 AM
reptile718

+1 I am looking for a bolt on 4 point cage painted in SS. Subscribing for PICS. If all looks well I might be on board. What kind of testing will you guys be doing to insure the reliability of your product and do you have any prior experience in making these cages?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:59 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the pics and if its weld or bolt.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:05 AM
jimmytango00

Default Bolt on.

Pictures will be up sometime next week and these will be bolt on. We're ordering the Tube Notcher today so we'll get started on the first one ASAP. I'll ask my buddy about the testing and stuff like that...he's taking care of the technical stuff
Old 02-19-2007, 10:57 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by reptile718
+1 I am looking for a bolt on 4 point cage painted in SS. Subscribing for PICS. If all looks well I might be on board. What kind of testing will you guys be doing to insure the reliability of your product and do you have any prior experience in making these cages?
There is NO testing standard for bolt-in four point cages. SCCA standards are in place because of past racing experience and four-point cages have been known to fail in multiple rollover type accidents. I wouldn't trust my butt in one and you shouldn't either.

Jimmytango00 answered part of my original post, but left another part on the 'SCCA standard' unanswered: for the six-point cage, does your cost include two side impact bars (for each side of the cage) and a petty bar as well? Your customers deserve to know!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 AM
jimmytango00

Youre right Dkmura they do deserve to know and they will. There are two of us answering these questions, one being me and the other my buddy who is the one dealing with all the tech stuff. I'll leave all the techincal questions to him and I will try to answer the simple stuff my self and keep you guys updated. Im just providing the money for the project and he's taking care of the rest. Im trying to answer these questions the best i can but i will let him get back to you on this one dkmura. He did see your post last night and mentioned to me that the 6point did need side impact bars i believed he called them and the petty bar but we did not discuss if the price would change.

Originally Posted by dkmura
There is NO testing standard for bolt-in four point cages. SCCA standards are in place because of past racing experience and four-point cages have been known to fail in multiple rollover type accidents. I wouldn't trust my butt in one and you shouldn't either.

Jimmytango00 answered part of my original post, but left another part on the 'SCCA standard' unanswered: for the six-point cage, does your cost include two side impact bars (for each side of the cage) and a petty bar as well? Your customers deserve to know!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SCCA Solo rule book has specifications for 4 point roll bars. There are also 4 point roll bar specifications in SCCA's Vintage and Historic GCR. Roll bars are acceptable in SCCA Solo, PDX, and DE events as part of a time trial format.

Roll cages (6 point with roof and door bars) are required in all SCCA wheel-to-wheel competitions. The SCCA GCR specifies material type and dimensions, construction, attachment methods, plating type and dimensions, and required cage members.

Buy and read the GCR and the Solo rules books before spendning money on materials. There's a lot more to it then just selecting the right tubing and I've failed cars in the annual tech because the mounting plate dimensions were incorrect, main hoop diagonals were missing or mounted incorrectly, and main hoops had more then 180 degrees of total bend.

BTW... We're not trying to discourage you from making these parts. We're trying to give you information to help you make the right decisions. I have a car in my shop right now where the customer built a roll cage based on incorrect information. Unfortunately he is paying me to remove it AND build a correct cage. He'll have over $4,500 in this cage, $2,500 of which he flushed down the toilet.

Last edited by betamotorsports; 02-19-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 4 Point Rollbar for 350z's!