Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Emblem & Plastic Fork

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:48 AM
dayz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Emblem & Plastic Fork

I recently removed the front emblem from my Z. Since this emblem is recessed into the hood, it can be somewhat difficult removing this emblem without damaging the vehicle. This is what I used to take mine off:

1 hair dryer
1 plastic fork
1 bottle of goo remover (there are several types)

I did the following:

1) heat up the emblem with the hair dryer on high setting:
I heated the emblem for probably 3 minutes, moving the hair dryer back and forth across the emblem. I did not want to get the paint too hot in the area, so I felt the emblem and area with my hands every now and then. The emblem does not need to be extremely hot to remove.

2) Push on the bumper inside the front hood emblem - this should create a gap between the emblem and the plastic bumper. You should be able to see some foam tape adhesive underneath the emblem. Take the plastic fork and stick the plastic fork in the gap you made by pushing on the bumper. Slide the plastic fork down between the bumper and the emblem and slide it side to side. This should break the middle section of the emblem loose.

3) Heat up the emblem again. Push on the bumper again inside the emblem and put fork up inside emblem around the top edge of the emblem. Move the fork around the top of the emblem. Repeat for the bottom side of the emblem.

4) Heat the emblem again. Now push on the inside of the bumper where the emblem is. This should push the sides of the emblem out. Insert the fork from the outside edge of the emblem into the portion that says "Nissan". It is easier to push the fork into the right side of the emblem as you are facing it. This should break one side free. Once the one side is broken free, pull the emblem off.

5) There will probably be quite a bit of the tape left on the bumper. Just heat it with the dryer and scrape it off with your finger nail. After you get almost all of the goo off, use the goo remover you got at the store to take the rest off.

Any comments on this/recommendations? This is just what worked for me.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:53 AM
xjongsangx80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^That's actually a perfect method to remove emblem..
Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel that its risky using goo gone, heard it takes off paint... claybar is a perfect alternative.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
philude

i've used goof off on a black car, lightly of course. just enough to get the adhesive off. it left the area looking dull, but after some paint cleaner, polish, wax, it came out looking good as new.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:47 AM
03TEZ

nice avatar. could barley get through the tread. had to read a line look at pic. read a line look at pic. my neck hurts.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 AM
dayz

yeah... it is actually supposed to be animated. I had trouble getting the animation to work. any suggestions on how to get an animated avatar to work?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:52 AM
z-u-later

Your avatar actually moves? Somebody help the OP out so we can see the full effect of his animated avatar!!! Oh, BTW, was this thread about removing the front emblem? Sorry, got distracted . . .
Old 03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
dayz

haha yeah. I just thought I'd share how I got my emblem off since I haven't seen too many threads about it. I'm going with the Z emblem on the front; looks much better than the cheeseburger Nissan symbol.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:05 AM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmm fork sounds like a good idea. But a dental floss wasnt too hard to work with either.