Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Foglight Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007 | 02:08 PM
Fuddy Duddy

Question Foglight Wiring Help

I installed foglamps on my '06 Enth. MT. over the weekend.

Everything went fine...except that I could not find a location to tap after the headlight switch. As it is wired now, I must use the switch that I installed. I would prefer to tie the swirch I installed after the headlight switch so that I don't brain fart, and leave the fogs on in error.

Yes, I have the schematics from the service manual...but I can only find the hot wires before the switch, and not the wiring after the switch to tie into.

Can anyone give me a hand.

Thanks.

Last edited by Fuddy Duddy; 04-10-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2007 | 02:17 PM
I1DER

I had that all figured out before I bought my '06. When it came I found out they wouldn't help me more for what I want than the bi-xenons. If no one else posts the answer, I'll dig around for the info. I'm a pack rat.
Old 04-10-2007 | 02:21 PM
Fuddy Duddy

Thanks. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2007 | 02:25 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW
Premier Member

dont connect it to the main head light but the other small light. when u turn on the head light the first cilick light. hopefully u know what im talking about.
Old 04-10-2007 | 02:32 PM
Fuddy Duddy

I tried to find that wire for the side market and the parking lights, but went nuts with my line tester, and could not find any of them. I tried to find the lines in fuse box J/B so that all the connections were in the car, and not subject to shorting. Do you know what line that may be, and at what fuse box?
Old 04-10-2007 | 03:34 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW
Premier Member

follow the line that connects to the small light bulb (parking light) and cut the rubber cover and connect the fog light wire with black tape.

this pic might help where to connect.

Last edited by myZter; 04-10-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2007 | 06:07 PM
Spike100

Good Thread!

I have not added driving lights or fog lamps to my Z, but this is my next project.

I plan to configure this on my Z the same way I did it on my off-road Mitsubishi Montero. I did it this way on the Montero:

Driving lights
I installed a switch on the dash that turned the driving lights ON/OFF. That switch was tied to the head-lights and to the high-beams so that even with the long-range driving light switch ON, the long-range driving lights would not illuminate unless I had the head-lights ON and the high-beams ON. And, the driving lights turned OFF when I dimmed to low-beam, or turned the car's head-light switch OFF. I think that is a logical arrangement. If you don't have the head-lights ON, you probably don't want long-range driving lights ON (without this, you could forget to turn the long-range driving lights off and drain your battery). If your long-range driving lights are ON, they are only ON if you have your high-beams ON, and toggling the high-beams OFF (going to low-beam) should turn your long-range driving lights OFF as well. That keeps you from blinding oncoming traffic. When you go to high-beam, and your long-range driving lights' switch is ON, the long-range driving lights should come on automatically.

Fog Lights
I installed an ON/OFF switch that I also tied to the car's head-light switch. Again, the idea was to prevent leaving the fogs on inadvertently and draining the battery.The fog lights would only be ON when the head lights were turned on, and turning the head lights off always turns the fog lights OFF. But I wired the fogs differently than the long-range driving lights by allowing the fogs to be ON anytime the headlights were ON (high-beam or low-beam). The idea being that the fogs had a wide angle illumination (to cast a wide beam to the sides of the vehicle) that I may want to use with either high or low beam.

In Summary:
Long-range driving lamps and fog lamps should have their own ON/OFF switches so that you can control these lights independently of your head lights. However, your accessory lamps should be connected to (and after) your head lights so that even when the accessory lamps are turned ON, they will go ON only if your head lights are ON, and the accessory lamps go OFF when you turn your car's head lights OFF.

Long-range driving lamps should also be connected to your high-beams, so they go ON and OFF as you toggle the high beam switch.

I hope this isn't just confusing, or that I am adding any distraction to this thread. My comments are concepts and lack specific details for "how you actually wire this." I hope this thread and my msg-post attract the attention of someone who can provide the wiring details.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 04-10-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2007 | 08:06 PM
Fuddy Duddy

Thanks guys...this has been really helpful.
Old 04-10-2007 | 09:33 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW
Premier Member

update with pics
Old 04-11-2007 | 11:35 AM
I1DER

There are heros in this group.
Old 04-11-2007 | 11:41 AM
mw9

I would like to see some pics. I have thinking about doing this. what brand have you guys been using.
Old 04-11-2007 | 12:00 PM
Fuddy Duddy

The manufacturer was Pilot. Dirt cheap, but fit between the two horizontal bars on the '06 grille. Had to fab my own brackets to do it, but they look fine. Real Stealth looking because you only see blue-white glass lense between the bars.

I got mine from Advance Auto Parts, and they are are also available at Murray. They don't throw enough light as I would like, so I am going to upgrade the bulbs to see if I can get the desired results.

We're having a snow blizzard (suburban Chicago)...but first chance I will take some pixs, and post them.
Old 04-11-2007 | 08:45 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW
Premier Member

you guys should check ebay for piaas theyre really bright. i love the yellow ones
Old 04-12-2007 | 07:45 AM
I1DER

Ya, for me I had it narrowed down to Pias(the slim ones) so they would fit between the grill bars(in the '06) and still were bright. Not cheap though.
Old 04-30-2007 | 08:07 PM
Steve-O Z33

I just got some rectangular Hellas for pretty cheap. Installing them soon.
Old 05-21-2007 | 05:45 PM
darbyhouse

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
I just got some rectangular Hellas for pretty cheap. Installing them soon.

final install pics pls ???