Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Evo-R Type-E Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:46 PM
cz3ch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Evo-R Type-E Spoiler

Originally ordered this item in hopes of tapping the grey-market for a good quality replica without having to shell out the 1400+ for the Nismo Type-E.

I spoke to Jay who was friendly but obviously a bit limited in communication and I sent him the money to order one (and had it painted). I was disappointed to see that he was blowing them out earlier at nearly 300 less than what I paid shipped. So 1000$ later I had my spoiler in production.

After 6 weeks and many PMs back and forth I finally received my spoiler via freight. Though undamaged there were a few things that I noticed off the bat.

1.) The CF was scratched from handling and the fin was loose
2.) You cannot tighten down the fin, the gap is really bad on it
3.) There were paint chips on the item from packing/handling (this is not a shipping issue)
4.) No template was included and half the hardware was there

So I talked to Jay and after 2 weeks received the Nismo Template in Japanese (big help)...And some screws. Now the great thing about the template/spoiler is that the holes do not match... there are mounts in front of the spoiler but no layout/template for that. I'd like to have this thing bolted on with 4 screws instead of two and a shi7load of 3m tape but oh well..

After spending 2 hours getting the mounting as perfect as I could, I noticed there are really bad fitment problems with this spoiler. There are gaps all over the place and it really does not look very good.

I'm going to see if there's some way I can fill the gaps and clean things up, otherwise I'm going to have to rip this thing off and get something else...

It doesn't look too bad from a distance, and I love the styling but to be honest this will be the last time I buy something grey market from this vendor. Not saying that all their product is bad but several have had bad experiences with this spoiler not fitting.. and now i'm 1g in the hole for an inferior product..

I'll post some pics as soon as the camera charges...

On the + side it should go nicely with the rims I have coming in this week..
Old 05-20-2007, 11:11 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

That sucks, i was considering one of these.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:08 PM
philude

hmmm, awaiting pictures. have you tried contacting them in hopes of making your experience a bit more positive?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 PM
THE TECH

Interesting. Normally his stuff doesn't have problems like this. Hopefully he can take care of you.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:40 PM
tomiegunzz

These are one of the hardest spoilers to get your hands on.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pix yet?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:05 PM
twotonetrack

thanks for warning me. I was going to buy one.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:58 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

I have had the same problem - horrible fitment!!! and absolutely ABISMAL communication.

I have been waiting since the end of February for a new one, since he promised me he would get me a new one, but that never happened.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really..... My Evo-R fit fine. No issues at all. It arrived in fine condition and the body shop had no issues installing it. Maybe you need a good body shop to fit it for you. Why can't you tighten the fin? That's what the allen bolts are there for. I had no gap either. Mine fit like a glove on the ends.

$1000 you paid for the wing? I paid $675 shipped. It's too bad there are variences on body parts. Some get lucky and others have a miserable experience.

Post up some pics please....

JET
Old 05-21-2007, 02:28 AM
JDMZ33
Vendor - Former Vendor

It is all depends on how you install it. All our Type E spoilers are test fitted before shipped. If you screwed the spoiler on thw wrong place. Might cause the spolier not fit right. If both front sides are screw too close to center, wil cause the rear center to pop up. . I wouls suggest to have spoiler install by professional bodyshop. Or elese you will end up paying more...
Old 05-21-2007, 04:08 AM
JokerDev

Originally Posted by JDMZ33
It is all depends on how you install it. All our Type E spoilers are test fitted before shipped. If you screwed the spoiler on thw wrong place. Might cause the spolier not fit right. If both front sides are screw too close to center, wil cause the rear center to pop up. . I wouls suggest to have spoiler install by professional bodyshop. Or elese you will end up paying more...

That's not customer service
Old 05-21-2007, 04:55 AM
cz3ch

Originally Posted by philude
hmmm, awaiting pictures. have you tried contacting them in hopes of making your experience a bit more positive?
Yes and you can see his answer above. "have a body shop install it". I've been doing body work for 5 years now off/on so when I say it doesn't fit right/mount right I'm not shooting from the hip by any means. Again I spent a significant amount of time laying it down, reviewing the japanese template, measuring twice, cutting once..

pics should be up today...

It was truly a waste of 1g. I could have had one fab'd for that in house. Well you live and learn...moving on
Old 05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. My buddy told me that he had actually compared the real V2 Nismo wing and thier type E. Eventhough they look somewhat similar, but they are not the same. I tried calling the vendor, but the communication response was subpar. If a vendor has a minimal communication methods that gives me a sign that 1.) either the vendor has crappy products, if there are problems, its hard for the buyer to get a hold of the seller. 2.)They just don't care. I was thinking about getting the V2 wing from Evo-r, but i don't think i will do business with them at all.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

If by test "test fitted" you mean you quickly propped it on the back of a Z, and it "looked alright", then that is not test fitting.
If the template doesn't match the actual holes in the spoiler, then it's because the spoiler is crap, and wasn't test fitted.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:33 AM
philude

wow, I always thought Evo-R was one of the premier vendors on this site. I hope they handle this carefully, or they'll be losing a lot of potential customers.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Tantrum Z33

My Evo-R type E spolier fits perfect as well. On the other hand, I've seen another fit like a$$. Maybe you got one from a later batch. Usually a fiberglass mold can only make about a handful of copys until it starts to warp.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 AM
cz3ch

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
If by test "test fitted" you mean you quickly propped it on the back of a Z, and it "looked alright", then that is not test fitting.
If the template doesn't match the actual holes in the spoiler, then it's because the spoiler is crap, and wasn't test fitted.
Yes I believe that's how this grey-market item was test-fitted. Anything can look ok just laying it on there.. but when you mount it properly and it still doesn't fit.. that simply means you got crap product. I feel like I wasted $ on this... If I knew it was going to be this sort of process, I would have just spent the extra 400$ on the Nismo..
Old 05-21-2007, 11:21 AM
xjongsangx80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine also fit perfact as well.. sorry about your spoiler but I was quite surprised when I saw mine fit so perfactly.