Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paintless dent removal... Does it work?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Paintless dent removal... Does it work?

Just had four door dings repaired Today. My "repair man" ís a long standing patient (so I may have received a bargain price). Two of the dings were "round bull's-eyes" which Juergen told me are easily fixed. The other two dings were "hard-creases," which are apparently more difficult to repair. Anyway, all of the dings were repaired (via. paintless dent removal techniques), and you cannot see any evidence of the original damage.

It is very weird watching someone (he did the repair onsite at my office) tapping the side of your car's door with a small hammer to fix a dent.

The damage happened in a Cub Foods parking lot. They provide very tight parking spaces. I have quit shopping/parking at Cub Foods.

--Spike
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a similiar service on my Supra and it came out flawlessly. Just depends on where the dents are.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve seem it done at several 350Z meets. I would say the final result is 90 percent perfect.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:43 PM
SniperHunter

Also consider using dry ice. Google for instructions.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I used a similiar service on my Supra and it came out flawlessly. Just depends on where the dents are.
For sure the location and "character" of the dent/ding make a difference. I had two "bulls-eyes" (almost perfectly round dents) which Juergen fixed quickly and easily. You cannot see any evidence of the repair after his fix. The other two dents were creases (one was small and the other a little deeper). He fixed the small crease and you cannot see where it was. The other crease-dent was deeper (the slob who damaged my car hit it harder). Juergen removed the small dent, but obviously could not fix the paint since the ding went down to the primer. But , it is so small at this point you hardly see it.
Originally Posted by davidv
I’ve seem it done at several 350Z meets. I would say the final result is 90 percent perfect.
My recent experience with this show your estimate on the percentage of satisfactory repair to be exactly correct.

Thanks guys... for feedback, advice, and experiences. Certainly useful comments.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 05-21-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

sounds interesting...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) is a process that reforms metal back to its original condition without affecting the paint finish. The myth about dry ice and plungers removing dents and dings from cars just isn’t true. With the Dent Wizard Process, there are no smoke and mirrors. Dent Wizard has researched and developed hundreds of tools to repair dents, dings, creases and hail damage.
Working from behind the panel, Dent Wizard technicians use specially designed tools to massage the metal back to its original shape. With Dent Wizard’s process, sanding, filler or repainting is not needed; the factory finish remains intact and the vehicle remains structurally sound.
Dent Wizard technicians become certified on the exclusive process only after successfully completing a rigorous two-month training program and extensive apprenticeship period. Dent Wizard technicians continue learning and perfecting their craft throughout their career, achieving advanced levels of certification and capabilities.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Also consider using dry ice. Google for instructions.
I've read this as well. Juergen didn't use dry ice for my repair, although he said he does use this in some cases. For my repair, he used a small hammer (looked like one of those small hammers you use to hang pictures). He rapidly tapped around the dent; and after a few minutes of tapping, the dent disappeared. Looked like magic to me. Obviously this is a learned skill.

After doing the ding repair, Juergen inspected the paint (on the front of my car) pointing out several moderate-to-significant chips he advised repairing using a "paint touch-up kit" which he states is provided by Nissan and should be available from my Nissan dealership. Guess what? My Nissan dealership has no clue. Juergen also says the dealership should be able to exactly match the color/paint, and provide the customer with the correct consistency so you don't get "globs" when applying the touchup paint. Again, my dealership has no clue. Not sure if my dealership or Juergen is wrong.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 05-21-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Fletch69z

It depends on your dent guy. If he knows what he is doing he will usually do a great job and will know when he can and can't pop a dent well.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Spedracer20

I know my ex had her integra works on and it can out pretty damn good. I think he removed 4 out of 5 dents. Thays something I need to look into locally and see if he can work some magic
Old 05-22-2007, 04:02 AM
jmark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it works well.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had two removed....excellent job here!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
aznmojo

it works perfectly... and my car is black
Old 05-22-2007, 09:31 AM
ZBigDog

Heck yeah, Carsmetics hooked it up like new for $85 per ding.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes it works. We have a PDI guy here at the dealership that does 3 dings for 45 bucks. Works perfectly. No scratches in the process.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Changvi

Yes.....oh yes.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
enthuZast

I had a dent on the crease above the left front tire, someone hit my car @ probation Paintless dent repair cost me $125 and came out great in one hour.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Hustler904

I do bodywork for a living and I respect what Paintless Dent Repair guys do. I myself dont have the patience for it,but I do have alot of the same tools which I use. They might charge alot,but it's still way cheaper than fixing a dent through a bodywork and painting it.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:49 PM
DRIFTU

i had a fricken hail storm last year and no insurance on my z . My roof and hood have like 10 dings each and there are a couple on my trunk... I have a CF hood going on, but roof is not changing..

Any ideas on how much or who i should contact in the Boston area to get my roof dings out? I see that htey charge per ding, there are over 10 i would say, maybe it would be more worth either taking it to a body shop and filling them/painting roof, or perhaps getting one of those CF roof overlays? Ideas?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by DRIFTU
i had a fricken hail storm last year and no insurance on my z . My roof and hood have like 10 dings each and there are a couple on my trunk... I have a CF hood going on, but roof is not changing..

Any ideas on how much or who i should contact in the Boston area to get my roof dings out? I see that htey charge per ding, there are over 10 i would say, maybe it would be more worth either taking it to a body shop and filling them/painting roof, or perhaps getting one of those CF roof overlays? Ideas?
Not sure what to say here. If the ding/dent is large, the paintless removal won't work. The charge in my locality varies greatly, and is anywhere from $100 per hour to $80 per ding. I would suggest getting some estimates. It is not the usual practice of paintless-dent removers to charge for estimates since they look at the ding and know whether or not the technique is appropriate for the repair.

--Spike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paintless dent removal... Does it work?