Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 08:15 AM
DURSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Old 12-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Sponge

I got the Webasto sunroof installed at the Nissan dealer and a few weeks after I picked it up I noticed a creaking/ticking noise coming from the front part of the sunroof panel under the controls. This noise is only present when it is cold outside and the sunroof is fully closed. The colder it is the more creaking/ticking I hear when closed. When in tilt or fully open mode no noise at all. Almost seems like the glass is sealing TOO tight

Any ideas? Guess a visit to the dealer is in order. Hate to be without the Z for a few days
Old 12-31-2003, 01:28 PM
DURSO

Originally posted by Sponge
I got the Webasto sunroof installed at the Nissan dealer and a few weeks after I picked it up I noticed a creaking/ticking noise coming from the front part of the sunroof panel under the controls. This noise is only present when it is cold outside and the sunroof is fully closed. The colder it is the more creaking/ticking I hear when closed. When in tilt or fully open mode no noise at all. Almost seems like the glass is sealing TOO tight

Any ideas? Guess a visit to the dealer is in order. Hate to be without the Z for a few days

O.K. Sponge....I was starting to have the same problem with the creaking in the cold.

I had tried cleaning the seal and even conditining the seal with a vinyl protectant. Those methods didnt seem to last, or take care of the problem.

I just applied "Fine Powder Graphite" to the seal. You can pick it up at most auto supply stores. Took care of the problem immediatly.

This stuff is ultra slippery. I applied it to my finger first, then rubbed my finger along the seal going all the way around from front to back. Making sure to cover every inch of the rubber seal. To get to the back part you have to put the sunroof in the tilt position.

I figure I will maybe have to apply this stuff once every so often, but still worth the investment and wouldnt own the car without the sunroof.

Hope this helps.
Tony
Old 01-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Beaker02

Sunroofs gotta help with the warm Z cab. Ventalation!
Old 01-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Sponge

Tony...I dug this thread up from a search and happy you replied. Great suggestion the graphite. I tried vinylx and a few other things but to no avail. Interesting, it was raining tonite and I heard it "creaking" occasionaly over 40 miles of highway coming from Palms Springs UNTIL it started raining. After that it made no more noise. I will run, not walk, OK drive fast, to pick up some graphite tomorrow.

I love having the sunroof as I don't plan to track the car more than a few times to tests the Zs handling limits. I feel there is little to no substitite for hearing your exhaust note screaming through the opening above you. I suspect you feel the same

I'll keep you informed...

Todd
Old 01-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Kuzmeista

is a targa possible?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:31 PM
kendoll

Default how is your sun roof

Originally posted by DURSO
O.K. Sponge....I was starting to have the same problem with the creaking in the cold.

I had tried cleaning the seal and even conditining the seal with a vinyl protectant. Those methods didnt seem to last, or take care of the problem.

I just applied "Fine Powder Graphite" to the seal. You can pick it up at most auto supply stores. Took care of the problem immediatly.

This stuff is ultra slippery. I applied it to my finger first, then rubbed my finger along the seal going all the way around from front to back. Making sure to cover every inch of the rubber seal. To get to the back part you have to put the sunroof in the tilt position.

I figure I will maybe have to apply this stuff once every so often, but still worth the investment and wouldnt own the car without the sunroof.

Hope this helps.
Tony
Hi, I was wondering how your sun roof is doing . Do you still like it and still no problems? I am buying my Z next week, and taking it straight to the shop t have my sun roof installed. Although I am tempted to drive it t CA and have it installed there (I live in Vegas), that way I can put her on the road and hopefully won'y have to hand it over for 2 days.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Sponge

I still am very happy with the sunroof. No leaks, no problems. I did email webasto and got from them how to keep the sunroof open after ignition off, so that was cool. I was gonna make a switch to kill the auto close feature but hitting any button after the door opens does that.

Just keep the graphite on the seal and all is good.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:46 AM
DavidD

I like it. Do you have any pics with the it closed?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:33 AM
cedusett

Old 03-08-2004, 11:51 AM
kendoll

One more question about your sunroof. When I told my husband about my plan to add sunroof, he told me to check to make sure that this would not viod warrenty, mess up insurance coverage, and decrease overall value of the car. By chance have you checked into any of these or heard anything about it.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Sponge

Kendoll: I have not checked into those things that might depreciate the car. I would think that just driving the car off the lot would incur more depreciation than what a sunroof would do. As long as the car is structurally unaffected, I wouldn't think the insurance company would even care.

DavidD: Sorry, no pics with it closed. i try to take some and post them in a day or so.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Pilot_Z

....pulling this dead thread out of the grave...

Does anyone know if the sunroof here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161447

....is a Webasto sunroof?

Webasto Sunroof model:
Stratos 300 Med.
I dont see this mode at their website: http://www.webasto-us.com/press/en/a...roofs_497.html

Any other manufacturers?

Any other comments on sunroofs?

Any other members have them installed?

Thanks!

Last edited by Pilot_Z; 04-28-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:05 AM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great and appears to be very high quality. I'm very interested, but there is no way in hell I'm driving to CA to get it installed........I just don't know if I can trust any bosy shops around here for the install

P.S. Can you post the link to the company's website?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 07:22 AM
Pilot_Z

P.S. Can you post the link to the company's website?

Webasto main page

...the guy I linked this thread to in the above post dove from Florida to NY to get it installed....
I am not sure I can trust someone to cut a hole in my beautiful car...

Anyways, webasto has a dealer page...you can possibly find someone closer to you....but the question is, can you trust them?

Last edited by Pilot_Z; 04-29-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

looks great.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:24 AM
6swhite350z

Originally Posted by Sponge
Kendoll: I have not checked into those things that might depreciate the car. I would think that just driving the car off the lot would incur more depreciation than what a sunroof would do. As long as the car is structurally unaffected, I wouldn't think the insurance company would even care.

DavidD: Sorry, no pics with it closed. i try to take some and post them in a day or so.
its been 2 years.. are they uploaded yet?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Pilot_Z

Originally Posted by 6swhite350z
its been 2 years.. are they uploaded yet?
I PM'ed Sponge...he still posts here, has not replied to my PM yet...

I just let him know that I revived this thread...hopefuly he can share with us if it (sunroof) is holding up after 2 years....
Old 04-29-2006, 11:44 PM
ZPatrick

Originally Posted by JLCARR
LOOKS GREAT!! What was the cost? Any wind noise when it is closed? How long did it take to install ? Were they able to use your same headliner?
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Old 04-30-2006, 07:21 AM
"Z"orilla

Originally Posted by Pilot_Z
Webasto main page

...the guy I linked this thread to in the above post dove from Florida to NY to get it installed....
I am not sure I can trust someone to cut a hole in my beautiful car...

Anyways, webasto has a dealer page...you can possibly find someone closer to you....but the question is, can you trust them?
Link doesn't work, can you try again,
Thanks

Quick Reply: Sunroof by Webasto on PPW