Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Replica vs. the real NISMO V2 bumper ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 06:57 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Default Replica vs. the real NISMO V2 bumper ???

Can anyone give me some feedback on the replica V2 bumpers vs. the real deal NISMO V2 bumper. From what I can tell, the real thing is fiberglass. I know that the Shine replica V2 bumper is a very flexible frp. Does that make it stronger and hold up better? My car is low and I'm a little worried about cracking fiberglass.
Is the fitment on the Shine replica up to par???? I'm on the fence.

Last edited by 35ounces; 06-28-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:39 AM
davidf

Yes FRP is more durable and more forgiving than the OEM part. Unless your an absolute Nismo fanatic go with FRP.
Old 06-28-2007 | 09:41 AM
VO...
Administrator

Go with the real deal. Save yourself the pain and effort.

VO(learned the hard way)
Old 06-28-2007 | 11:16 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

which replica did you have?
Old 06-28-2007 | 11:20 AM
edwin350z

i have the shine and absolutely love it. i have had to get it repainted 3 times from hitting **** but it never breaks.
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:22 PM
13SECZ

yeah but I thought that the replicas dont have that black mesh grill ...only the nismo does right ?...
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:44 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

edwin350z: Shine fitment is good? Which sides did you get?
Does the Shine bumper have the NISMO badge?

MC: does the authentic include the vents? Any issues with it being fiberglass?

Last edited by 35ounces; 06-28-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2007 | 11:35 PM
gsazabi

Mine's Shine Auto replica.
100% perfect fitment.

Old 06-29-2007 | 07:26 AM
THE TECH

I would never do the copies after what I've seen. Yes, the added flex ability of the copies is nice, but the amount of bodywork needed to get them to be as clean and straight as the authentic is amazing. You would spend just as much on a copy getting it clean as you would just getting the authentic in the first place.
Old 06-29-2007 | 07:34 AM
twenzel

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I would never do the copies after what I've seen. Yes, the added flex ability of the copies is nice, but the amount of bodywork needed to get them to be as clean and straight as the authentic is amazing. You would spend just as much on a copy getting it clean as you would just getting the authentic in the first place.

Your statement is correct for most of the replicas out there... The Shine bumper is an exception imo because it actually doesn't require that much prep work at all. There are many happy people on this forum with that bumper. However I bought the Punkster GB replica first which fitment was not that great and was still brittle fiberglass.

With as low as my car is, honestly the authentic part isn't worth it to me. I would crack it in less than a month and then pay expensive fiberglass repair costs.

I recently purchased the Shine bumper which will be more forgiving on the speedbumps because of its flexibility. If I spend a couple extra hundred to get it to fit right (I doubt it will cost any extra) I still come out on top because it will last MUCH longer than if I went with the Authentic Nismo.
Old 06-29-2007 | 11:44 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Can anyone give me some feedback on the replica V2 bumpers vs. the real deal NISMO V2 bumper. From what I can tell, the real thing is fiberglass. I know that the Shine replica V2 bumper is a very flexible frp. Does that make it stronger and hold up better? My car is low and I'm a little worried about cracking fiberglass.
Is the fitment on the Shine replica up to par???? I'm on the fence.
you should never purchase nockoff parts and never support the sale of them. These companies that make original parts need to get patents and a good patent attorney. You know nissan could afford it.
Old 06-29-2007 | 12:54 PM
buffmanjeff

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
you should never purchase nockoff parts and never support the sale of them. These companies that make original parts need to get patents and a good patent attorney. You know nissan could afford it.
i disagree slightly with your statement. What about when a company makes an improvement to a product? Such as a shine bumper with its added flexiblity? Just as the other guy said, it can take a hit better than the fiberglass version that would just break on contact. I think thats a big plus, but I understand what you mean.
Old 06-29-2007 | 01:16 PM
BaTMan_4

Generally Authentic is better....but in this Shine makes great products which many members on here sport their bumpers because of the materials and fitment. I would go Shine V2...IMO by far the best replica kit makers out there for the Z.
Old 06-30-2007 | 12:30 PM
Blazemaster

how's their nismo replica front lip? Can someone post a link to their website to purchase it?
Old 07-02-2007 | 01:38 PM
12oyce

Originally Posted by BaTMan_4
Generally Authentic is better....but in this Shine makes great products which many members on here sport their bumpers because of the materials and fitment. I would go Shine V2...IMO by far the best replica kit makers out there for the Z.
I agree, shine does have the best replica.
Old 07-03-2007 | 09:20 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by buffmanjeff
i disagree slightly with your statement. What about when a company makes an improvement to a product?
Not to sidetrack too much, but I think they should pay Nissan for licensing rights. That way, we can get a "better" product, the original company gets some money from the deal and will continue to make parts.

The problem is the smaller shops that make a great product, get it ripped-off, loose profits and no longer have the "motivation" to make new products in the future. This diminishes the available products for everyone.
Old 07-03-2007 | 09:34 AM
buffmanjeff

Originally Posted by Rampant
Not to sidetrack too much, but I think they should pay Nissan for licensing rights. That way, we can get a "better" product, the original company gets some money from the deal and will continue to make parts.

The problem is the smaller shops that make a great product, get it ripped-off, loose profits and no longer have the "motivation" to make new products in the future. This diminishes the available products for everyone.
i agree, i would have probably bought authentic if it were made in a different material. Can't beat OEM quailty, I dont care who you are thats making a replica.
Old 07-03-2007 | 09:48 AM
synth19

You cannot beat nismo quality. They require practically no prep at all.. But as far as authentic vs. original, it depends on the product and quality. There are some AUTHENTIC products out there actually INFERIOR to the replicas. I would rather have the quality replica then the authentic in those situations.

Quick Reply: Replica vs. the real NISMO V2 bumper ???