Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM
drsifu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so much misinformation....

why would an air bag trigger/sensor for the side or the seat be located and attached to the steering wheel airbag???

is your car a USDM car???

if it is, than it has a dual stage airbag, with two sensors, you need two resistor/fuse assemblies. there are no ifs, ands or buts. you need TWO

stuff it in...just fawkin stuff it in.

there's a how to on here somewhere that I used. search is your friend.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:50 PM
drsifu

by the way, have you even bought the hub and steering wheel yet?
Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds a little better, I can't imagine why Nissan would stuff side airbag sensor in the steering wheel. OK, so I will order a second switch. This project is a low priority for me right now, I just want to be prepared. I just received my new Key!s steering wheel and NRG quik release hub, but no adapter to connect it to the steering shaft. My priority is to get my car up and running without any oil leaks. Once that is done, the cosmetics can roll in. I ordered the works bell adapter hub, and now I guess I just need an additional resistor since the bell hub comes only with 1 resistor to my knowledge.

Thanks

Last edited by rrmedicx; 09-22-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:14 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
I too have side air bags. How to know which one to put the resistor on??? I guess it should be fairly obvious...the one that leads to the airbag loaded in the steering wheel...OK Redundant question...But with the tight space left to us with aftermarket steering wheels, where will I stuff the sensor for the side airbag, if you are telling me to just jam it in there...thats what I'll do. Just let me know..Thanks.

Ill take pic on monday there is plenty of room plenty.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by drsifu
so much misinformation....

why would an air bag trigger/sensor for the side or the seat be located and attached to the steering wheel airbag???

is your car a USDM car???

if it is, than it has a dual stage airbag, with two sensors, you need two resistor/fuse assemblies. there are no ifs, ands or buts. you need TWO

stuff it in...just fawkin stuff it in.

there's a how to on here somewhere that I used. search is your friend.

Dude chill out!
Old 09-22-2007, 07:18 PM
drsifu

Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
This sounds a little better, I can't imagine why Nissan would stuff side airbag sensor in the steering wheel. OK, so I will order a second switch. This project is a low priority for me right now, I just want to be prepared. I just received my new Key!s steering wheel and NRG quik release hub, but no adapter to connect it to the steering shaft. My priority is to get my car up and running without any oil leaks. Once that is done, the cosmetics can roll in. I ordered the works bell adapter hub, and now I guess I just need an additional resistor since the bell hub comes only with 1 resistor to my knowledge.

Thanks

When i got my Nardi from Aspec it came with two resistors, the whole airbag thing was just an assumtion on my part. Install took me 30min fromstart to finish. make sure you pay attention when you take the streering wheel off and put back the hub on the right teeth(aligment) or you'll throw the slip light, if you do just take it of and move it a couple teeth the other way untill the light turns, off. The resistor is a no brainer and thers plenty of room in there to stuff the resisitor.

Sorry for the spelling I had a couple already

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 09-22-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
You should have one, I had two...the second one has to do with the side or seat air bags.
All North American Z's and G's have 2, regardless if they use side impact airbags or not

Randy - we have more short Works Bell hubs with resistors arriving end of next week (Friday), let me know and I can put one aside for you - it comes wtih all the proper resistors so you do not trigger the airbag light. As for how it interacts with the NRG quick release I can't say, as we only sell the genuine Works Bell quick release.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-23-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:43 PM
micmicmotorbike

exactly adam!!!!!!!!!!
works bell is just plain ol' PIMP!!!!!!!!!!! -the real deal.
but to each is their own.
for some reason US version steering wheel airbags have 2, jdm have 1. nothing to do with side impact airbags.
by the way. don't install the hub with just 1 resistor. u will trigger airbag light to go on. and later, even after u install the 2nd resistor, light will stay on. u have to reset a specific airbag trigger through the ecu. sucked with mine.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah Mike - while you're here, stop down, got something for you at the shop that arrived on Friday

(sorry to thread jack Randy)
Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No Problem. I think I got my answers. Thanks fellas...Carry on.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump so i dont loose this
Old 01-01-2008, 11:55 AM
synth19

^ there is another thread I believe I started with some questions regarding the install. Look up that one, many great points and tips. You'll love the release/wheel!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by synth19
^ there is another thread I believe I started with some questions regarding the install. Look up that one, many great points and tips. You'll love the release/wheel!
Thanks. I have been reading all the wheel, horn, airbag threads I can find including the DIY thread.

Can you answer one question.. Are both the yellow and orange wires that go to the factory wheel, for the airbags, or is the orange for the horn?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

They are both for the airbag. The horn is controlled through the harness if I remember correctly.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
They are both for the airbag. The horn is controlled through the harness if I remember correctly.

Oh ok.

So when you go to slide the airbag assembly out, there will be the orange an yellow airbag wires/plugs going to the airbag/horn assmebly.

Is there a 3rd wire (horn wire) that runs from steering column area to the horn/airbag assembly, that I have just not seen in pics?

The only wires I have seen that attach to the factory horn/airbag/wheel assembly are the yellow and orange wires. There must be a 3rd wire for the horn someplace. Is the horn wire, the single black wire that comes out of the 7 pin gray plug with the works bell kit?

If that black wire comming out of the gray plug is the horn wire, is it hot or ground? Seems like be it would have to be hot but why it's black, I have no idea.

That would make sense.

That DIY sticky is nice but only shows how to remove, hookup and reinstall factory wheel.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:05 PM
synth19

I wish I could remember how everything looked like, but it's pretty straight forward once you remove everything. I suggest going fwd with the install, come back with pics if you run into any issues. GL! This thread may help:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=airbag

Originally Posted by Chad68
Oh ok.

So when you go to slide the airbag assembly out, there will be the orange an yellow airbag wires/plugs going to the airbag/horn assmebly.

Is there a 3rd wire (horn wire) that runs from steering column area to the horn/airbag assembly, that I have just not seen in pics?

The only wires I have seen that attach to the factory horn/airbag/wheel assembly are the yellow and orange wires. There must be a 3rd wire for the horn someplace. Is the horn wire, the single black wire that comes out of the 7 pin gray plug with the works bell kit?

If that black wire comming out of the gray plug is the horn wire, is it hot or ground? Seems like be it would have to be hot but why it's black, I have no idea.

That would make sense.

That DIY sticky is nice but only shows how to remove, hookup and reinstall factory wheel.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by synth19
I wish I could remember how everything looked like, but it's pretty straight forward once you remove everything. I suggest going fwd with the install, come back with pics if you run into any issues. GL! This thread may help:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=airbag

Yep read your other thread too.

In this pic below of yours, it shows the yellow and orange wires tucked into the hub with resisters installed, which apparently is the correct way for the airbags. In that pic there is a small black wire hanging down in front of the hub rim.

Do you recall if that black wire ended up being clipped onto the center prong of your horn button and that the other (outer) prong on the horn button was grounded to the hubring prong?

The hub ring prong thing I'm talking about is the metal backing plate disk for the horn assembly on Momo's anyway, that have a tab to connect a wire to that acts as the ground.

Wish I had a scanner
Attached Thumbnails Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR-52p9o8w.jpg  

Last edited by Chad68; 01-01-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
synth19

^ and wish I remembered. I just say to play around with it and take pics if you run into any trouble. IIRC, it was fairly straight forward except for the horn (had to dremel) and running into VDC issue which I resolved after posting here....
Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm going to read through the instructions tonight and it will refresh my memory.

Quick Reply: Help w/ Nardi/Personal with Works Bell QR