Sponsored by:

how to repair this scratch

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:34 PM
photo2u

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how to repair this scratch

Friends,

It was like this, I had one of my friends get out of my z to help me get out of a very tight spot I was force to get out due to a fact an idiot park in a place he should not have. This friend of mine was sent out of the car for the only purpose of helping keeping an eye on at my car as I was trying to get at of this tight spot.
And you know what? My stupid friend was not paying attention to the car, as I was backing up. He kept on telling me to back up as I asked him to pay attention to my rear bumper. Long story short I felt I light contact of my car with the wall. I got real mad and told my friend what the f@*&%k. Why you did not tell me? His idiotic comment was, I was not really paying attention.
Anyway, I need to repair the scratch. It is not very bad but it will cost some money to repair it properly.
Does anyone know how to properly repair the damage?

Please advice,

George from Pasadena,

Last edited by photo2u; 08-04-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:49 PM
MyFairladyZ2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really doesnt look too bad!
Maybe a little touch up paint will do it?!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:03 PM
desiZ

I have something similar (below), since im selling my car next month, im getting the bumper resprayed...

i have another couple of scratches though... so its worth it...
Old 08-04-2007, 03:39 PM
photo2u

Originally Posted by desiZ
I have something similar (below), since im selling my car next month, im getting the bumper resprayed...

i have another couple of scratches though... so its worth it...

Please let me know how it works out for you. I truly donot want to repaint the bumper. I am taking the car to the best detail shop in the valley and see what he says.

George from Pasadena,
Old 08-04-2007, 04:44 PM
desiZ

Originally Posted by photo2u
Please let me know how it works out for you. I truly donot want to repaint the bumper. I am taking the car to the best detail shop in the valley and see what he says.

George from Pasadena,
its $300 to respray btw....
i will let you know... am dropping the car off monday
Old 08-04-2007, 04:52 PM
TheHulk

photo....i cant tell if the bumper is really deeply scratched down to the primer....but if it isnt, i have a feeling you could wetsand it with some 2000 grit. hit with a heavy, medium, and light compound. and then some 3m swirl remover in case you put some swirls in with the compound. otherwise its gotta be taken to a body shop and repainted IMO. and if you can get ahold of an orbital air sander with the appropriate pad then that would do wonders over possibly gouging too far with your hand.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:54 PM
TheHulk

from the looks of it, that might be your best bet at covering it up if possible. i dont think it will take it out completely
Old 08-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^

Your advice is the best. It's likely that Photo spends $300 or more at the detailer (the detailer will suggest a "premium" fix), and next week, some idiot will repeat the damage.

Your fix will at least minimize the damage, and it's done at a reasonable price.

I look at this as "First Blood"...

--Spike
Old 08-04-2007, 06:16 PM
TheHulk

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^

Your advice is the best. It's likely that Photo spends $300 or more at the detailer (the detailer will suggest a "premium" fix), and next week, some idiot will repeat the damage.

Your fix will at least minimize the damage, and it's done at a reasonable price.

I look at this as "First Blood"...

--Spike
i am not going to say this is the cheapest way at all. for quality rubbing compounds you could spend $30+ a bottle. and the finest swirl remover of all(IMO) from 3m's actual bodyshop line can be 70+ dollars alone. i recommend atleast a porter cable with a cutting, finishing, and polishing pad, $225+. photo is looking at spending $400+ with tools and supplies alone. on top of it all, thats to say he can use the products and tools correctly without creating more damage. but overall, he'll gain a little knowledge in detailing and paint repair. along with an orbital buffer that will do wonders on time and quality of the finish when hes ready to apply some wax.

i dont want to make it sound daunting...but im not gonna sugarcoat it for anyone. its gonna take some money and effort. but you always gotta put the effort and time in to take pride in what you have.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ $400+ for a DIY scratch repair...

Hopefully there will be left-over materials (that can be used the "next time" this happens). I guess some would prefer using/hiring a professional instead of building up an inventory of supplies and little-used equipment.

--Spike
Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 PM
TheHulk

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ $400+ for a DIY scratch repair...

Hopefully there will be left-over materials (that can be used the "next time" this happens). I guess some would prefer using/hiring a professional instead of building up an inventory of supplies and little-used equipment.

--Spike
an orbital buffer, knowledge, and a thinner wallet is all hes gonna have if he goes that route. no one HAS to spend that much on materials. but in the end you ALWAYS get what you pay for. half-assed materials equals half-assed job. done right with the best...looks the best. pretty much how it always goes

if he goes to a detailer the price will be much lower. so if he just wants it fixed then go to a detailer and hope it doesnt happen again. that might be the best bet for photo's problem
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
photo2u

Originally Posted by TheHulk
photo....i cant tell if the bumper is really deeply scratched down to the primer....but if it isnt, i have a feeling you could wetsand it with some 2000 grit. hit with a heavy, medium, and light compound. and then some 3m swirl remover in case you put some swirls in with the compound. otherwise its gotta be taken to a body shop and repainted IMO. and if you can get ahold of an orbital air sander with the appropriate pad then that would do wonders over possibly gouging too far with your hand.
The scratches are very deep. I think they are down to the plastic. I have a dewalt electrical orbital I used for wood finishing. If I change the to a high number wet metal sander pad can I use the dewalt for this job?

Please advice,
George from Pasadena
Old 08-04-2007, 09:12 PM
TheHulk

Originally Posted by photo2u
The scratches are very deep. I think they are down to the plastic. I have a dewalt electrical orbital I used for wood finishing. If I change the to a high number wet metal sander pad can I use the dewalt for this job?

Please advice,
George from Pasadena
oh god no. a dewalt is a great orbital. but takes alot of skill when buffing and polishing. i cant even tell you how many ppl ive seen use one and put quarter size burn marks in their bumpers. its official. body shop is the way to go. its too deep to take out. the methods ive been describing only work if its deep into the clear coat.....your far past that
Old 08-05-2007, 10:12 AM
photo2u

Originally Posted by TheHulk
oh god no. a dewalt is a great orbital. but takes alot of skill when buffing and polishing. i cant even tell you how many ppl ive seen use one and put quarter size burn marks in their bumpers. its official. body shop is the way to go. its too deep to take out. the methods ive been describing only work if its deep into the clear coat.....your far past that

Thanks Hulk,

I will seriously consider taking it to the body shop. It is just the high price, I hate to pay to get it done properly. I just might might put a sticker utill I had it repair.

George from Pasadena,