Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with LEDs on 06' headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Tantrum Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with LEDs on 06' headlights...

I installed a pair of 06' headlights last night and saw two of the 4 LEDs on the top of the driver side headlight not lit. Is there a way to fix this issue? Is it possible to get a warranty replacement from Nissan?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Blazemaster

first of all, make sure the connections are well, connected securely. I see that you have a 03, so the 06 lights did not come with the car, so shouldn't be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty(unless you purchased extended warranty). If you bought the lights from a dealer, there should be some kind of warranty, but since it was not installed by them, they might not have to cover it.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

All O.E.M NISSAN parts, have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. I would suggest to get your original invoice and go back to the dealer you bought them from to warranty them. If you painted the inside housing of it and opened up the headlights, kiss your warranty good-bye. I also hope you bought it from a NISSAN dealer cause they're the only ones that can process the warranty. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Tantrum Z33

There is only one connector to the headlights and I'm pretty sure its in correctly. Everything else works fine. It's just that 2 of the 4 LEDs on the driver's side headlight is not lit(the 2 LEDs in the middle,top and bottom is lit). If Nissan won't warranty it, I'm hoping that Caesar from Lightwerkz can help me replace the LEDs when he open up the housings to paint the headlights. That is...if its as simple as replacing the LEDs. I emailed Caesar@Lightwerkz so hopefully he can give some insight to my issue soon. I need to know if it can be repaired...easily.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Tantrum Z33

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
All O.E.M NISSAN parts, have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. I would suggest to get your original invoice and go back to the dealer you bought them from to warranty them. If you painted the inside housing of it and opened up the headlights, kiss your warranty good-bye. I also hope you bought it from a NISSAN dealer cause they're the only ones that can process the warranty. Good luck.
Andy, I didn't purchase these headlights from the dealer. I swapped with a local Z owner. No invoice= No warranty? They are not modified at all. I was thinking of having Lightwerkz opening them up to paint if Caesar can help me replace the LEDs(if thats the problem) or find out whats the cause of the LEDs not lighting up.

Does anyone know if this is a simple fix, any similar experiences?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't there have to be a way of replacing those LEDs without having to open the housing? Wouldn't those LEDs eventually have to be replace anyways?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Tantrum Z33

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Wouldn't there have to be a way of replacing those LEDs without having to open the housing? Wouldn't those LEDs eventually have to be replace anyways?
Theres no way to access the LEDs with out opening the housing. I dont think these LEDs were ever suppose to burn out. I really want to know if theres a easy fix to this. If not, I'm going to attempt to return the headlights to the seller.

Last edited by Tantrum Z33; 09-11-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 PM
usmanasif

^^^ +1. They are not meant to be replaced. I opened my headlights up for paint and was impressed by how well the LEDs are soldered and their voltage regulated. In 99.9% of cases, they will easily surpass the life of the car many times over.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Queenz350Z
Andy, I didn't purchase these headlights from the dealer. I swapped with a local Z owner. No invoice= No warranty? They are not modified at all. I was thinking of having Lightwerkz opening them up to paint if Caesar can help me replace the LEDs(if thats the problem) or find out whats the cause of the LEDs not lighting up.

Does anyone know if this is a simple fix, any similar experiences?
What do you mean you swapped with another Z owner? You mean they took your zenki headlights and you got his kouki headlights? If that's the case, what I would recommend doing is to swap the headlights back with the other owner and have him bring in his car into a dealer for warranty on the headlight. It will be the best way but I'm not sure how willing the other guy will be that you traded lights with.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Tantrum Z33

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
What do you mean you swapped with another Z owner? You mean they took your zenki headlights and you got his kouki headlights? If that's the case, what I would recommend doing is to swap the headlights back with the other owner and have him bring in his car into a dealer for warranty on the headlight. It will be the best way but I'm not sure how willing the other guy will be that you traded lights with.
Yep, I traded my 03' headlights + cash for his 06' headlights. Not even sure if its possible to get the owner of the headlights to do that. Might be too much of an hassle.

usmanasif-So these LEDs are soldered in...is it easily accessible so that I can have someone take out the faulty ones and solder in new ones?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM
usmanasif

If the headlight is baked and pulled apart (not exactly an easy job itself), then yes, accessing the LEDs is a piece of cake. It would need an expert to properly cut off each of them off the board and solder new ones in due to the delicacy of the work involved.

This is a side angle of how the LEDs are mounted and is visible with the light assembly taken apart (bottom right; red box):

Last edited by usmanasif; 09-12-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Blazemaster

Did the seller have a history of positive feedbacks? Don't want to jump to the conclusion, but it seems like he sold you lights that are not fully functional. It's unlikely that the LEDs got damaged during shipping, if everything was turned out ok. Might want to contact the seller and see what he says, not much you can do at this point. If you're going to have someone open up the lights to put in new LEDs, might as well have it painted too while you're at it. I really like the dark silver or gun metal finish headlights.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 AM
SniperHunter

My suggestion? Put them up on eBay, and take a small hit if you don't want to return them to the seller. Use the money to buy yourself a pair of working headlights.

But I think you should bring it up to the seller.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Tantrum Z33

Originally Posted by usmanasif
If the headlight is baked and pulled apart (not exactly an easy job itself), then yes, accessing the LEDs is a piece of cake. It would need an expert to properly cut off each of them off the board and solder new ones in due to the delicacy of the work involved.
Thanks bro! This is the exact info I was looking for. I'm waiting to get a response from Lightwerkz to see if he can tackle this kind of job.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
I1DER

I take it that only one of your headlights has the problem. It'd be very odd that both have the same defect.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Tantrum Z33

Originally Posted by I1DER
I take it that only one of your headlights has the problem. It'd be very odd that both have the same defect.
Yep, only the driver's side headlight have this problem. Still need to confirm 100% that this can be fixed if I have someone re solder two new LEDs...any LED gurus out there?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
usmanasif

Of course it can be fixed by swapping LEDs as long as the problem isn't with the PCB they are on. But unfortunately, there's no way to test for that without taking them apart. Once the cover is off, a 3v battery connected to each of the problem LEDs will immediately identify if the LED is bad. If so, it can be swapped out. If the problem is with the PCB, that can be replaced too, but of course long-term reliability of any aftermarket LED work is a gamble.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Tantrum Z33

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Of course it can be fixed by swapping LEDs as long as the problem isn't with the PCB they are on. But unfortunately, there's no way to test for that without taking them apart. Once the cover is off, a 3v battery connected to each of the problem LEDs will immediately identify if the LED is bad. If so, it can be swapped out. If the problem is with the PCB, that can be replaced too, but of course long-term reliability of any aftermarket LED work is a gamble.
Hmm, this really got me thinking if I want to go through replacing the LEDs and finding them to have a chance of them not working again. At least I know now it can be fixed. I'm going to see what suggestions Lightwerkz have...
Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet on this being a broken lead rather than there being two bad led's. Chances are that this can be fixes with a dab of solder to complete the circuit.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Tantrum Z33

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
I would bet on this being a broken lead rather than there being two bad led's. Chances are that this can be fixes with a dab of solder to complete the circuit.
I see...I really hope this is the case. I guess I won't really know until I open them up personally then because I just got a reply from Lightwerkz and was told that he doesn't want to mess with it because of liability issues.

Quick Reply: Problem with LEDs on 06' headlights...