Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Weave emblem inserts, laser cut and

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 11:01 AM
pinnacleliquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Weave emblem inserts, laser cut and

backed with 3M 4229P exterior rated adhesive. 714 680 0505. $20.00 each set of 4 pieces. Installed pics in a day or two.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:49 AM
reen

Thumbs up Bitchin'

Cool idea!!!

Where'd you get it?
Old 06-04-2003, 11:59 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bitchin'

Originally posted by reen
Cool idea!!!

Where'd you get it?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:42 PM
pinnacleliquid

Default Re: Re: Bitchin'

Originally posted by droideka
I make them. It's what I do among other things. You ain't seen nuthin yet. Carbon fiber pieces for various places like those little mud flaps, or the rear strut tower.Stay tuned
Old 06-04-2003, 12:57 PM
reen

Default Re: Re: Re: Bitchin'

Originally posted by pinnacleliquid
You ain't seen nuthin yet.
You got that part right
Old 06-04-2003, 01:00 PM
pinnacleliquid

A friend with a Z showed me these neat little inserts in black carbon fiber from a guy named reen. You might know him? But he asked me to do it in a brighter fiber. I said OK. I did my own measuring. Mine are not copies of yours. I have been programing Cad Cam for 12 years. I did the measuring at Buena Park Nissan. You can ask any one of the salespeople or the GM at the front desk. Took me 3 trips to get it right, or at least where I am satisfied with the fit. I also buy all my parts either there or Tustin Nissan.

Last edited by pinnacleliquid; 06-04-2003 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:20 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by pinnacleliquid
A friend with a Z showed me these neat little inserts in black carbon fiber from a guy named reen. You might know him? But he asked me to do it in a brighter fiber. I said OK. I did my own measuring. Mine are not copies of yours. I have been programing Cad Cam for 12 years. I did the measuring at Buena Park Nissan. You can ask any one of the salespeople or the GM at the front desk. Took me 3 trips to get it right, or at least where I am satisfied with the fit. I also buy all my parts either there or Tustin Nissan.
Why did you go with the adhesive back?
Old 06-04-2003, 01:24 PM
pinnacleliquid

Originally posted by droideka
Why did you go with the adhesive back?
For extra assurance that it won't
Fall out
Blow out
Be high pressure washed out
Be picked out with a knife by some curious idiot kid
Old 06-04-2003, 05:39 PM
rouxeny

Hmm, believe me, Reen's are not removable without some serious, dedicated determination.

There ain't no high pressure wash that could blow those bad boys out.

Adhesive will mean that the inserts have to be slightly smaller than the available space correct?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Canadian350Z

Just installed reen's inserts.

Awesome fit. Awesome look. Thanks reen!

They are seriously in there, not coming out any time soon. IMHO any attempt to use an adhesive would seriously inhibit one's ability to install them in the first place.

Mine are in, real tight, but needed a bit of adjustment once "clicked" in behind the emblem. With an adhesive you won't be able to make this type of minor adjustment... bad idea if you ask me.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:11 PM
Keven

Default Love reens emblem fillers!!

Yep, mine are secure in place too! And the carbon fiber looks fantastic with every color of the 350Z I've seen.

Brilliant job, reen! I'm still 100% appreciative of your creative design, classy look and perfect fit.

"... the greatest form of flattery" is how others might relay their appreciation. I'll just stop at an honest and sincere THANKS! Your's is the only "mod" I mention in my signature.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Mr.Blue

I couldn't agree more. I am real happy with the fillers, I just installed them this morning. It has been raining all day in NJ, but I was able to dry off the emblems and pop them in Before work. Thanks Reen
Old 06-04-2003, 09:22 PM
pinnacleliquid

I believe the CF Reen uses is Pre Preg. A CF fabric preimpregnated with epoxy resin. In that form it cures very strong and very thin. We lay up our own fibers because we don't use it for molded parts. The chrome fabric is not available in pre preg form, to the best of my knowledge. And unless I buy a whole lot, it won't be. When we lay it up the fiber is wetted only with epoxy and not cured under high pressure. It therefore is thicker and more flexible. Unsuitable for structures requiring light strength, but fine for decoration. At 1/32" it is too thick and too flexible to slip under the edge of the emblem. My comments about why we do it that way was not meant to diss Reen's method but to justify mine. I hope this helps to clarify some things for you guys. Neither I nor Reen will get rich doing these things. We just love the cars.
On a lighter note...
And the installation. Well peel and stick is hard to do. I know, but sometimes I forget, My training began in second grade putting those little gold stars at the top of school papers. Then I was trained in the proper application of Scotch Tape Whew that was tough. But in the end I can look back and know it was worth the hard work. It's a skill that never left me
Old 06-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Canadian350Z

Oohh.... gold stars!! I only got silver!

The point I was trying to make with regard to installation is that, if the back of a "reen" filler was adhesive, combined with the ultratight fit, it would make final placement difficult, even though that final placement would only involve a minute fraction of an inch in movement.

With the looser fit, presumably required with an adhesive back filler, precision would be of utmost importance with the first adhesive contact point, esp. considering that the working area is somewhat recessed in the emblem and, at the same time, "incut" in the words of reen.

Have you ever tried putting a skin on an X-box? If the first point of contact is a bit off it throws off the entire skin due to the precision cutting of the skin. Now, while the insert is much smaller, the difficulty comes in working in a small, recessed area.

Those that have the reen inserts, I'm sure, would agree.

I'm sure it will look great as well just not sure the adhesive is a good idea...
Old 06-05-2003, 07:34 PM
rouxeny

I got a few gold stars in my day, and I'm pretty damn good with Scotch Tape.

I still think installation will be difficult with an adhesive back.

Good luck, I hope you can make it work.