Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind noise and invisable bras

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
jeffnot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind noise and invisable bras

Has anyone here experienced wind noise? I can't make out exactly where it's coming from, just that it's on the drivers side window area. It sounds like my window is slightly cracked, but it definitely isn't.
Also, I just bought my Z and it has an invisible bra. I like that it protects the car, but it makes the paint look dull where it is and it's coming loose in a few places. My question is does anyone have any experience with these and if I remove it, will there be any noticable fading?

Last edited by jeffnot; 12-12-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
rockinbboy

Was the clear bra done on car when it was originally bought? I don't know why the paint would look dull...do you have a warranty on the bra? What year is your Z and how long has the bra been on there?

As far as the wind noise, how do you know your window doesn't roll all the way up. I might appear that it is rolled up, but it may not be fully rolled up. Have you checked the passenger side to be sure?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Blu Hvn

I have read on here before people complaining about wind noise after getting Clear Bra installed. It noise turned out to be coming from the bra on the mirror. Problem was fixed by correctly re-applying the bra.
Good luck.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM
thanh27

also check your a/c vent's. The a/c vents tend to make a whistling noise if not fully closed and sometimes even when they are fully closed and the a/c is blasting.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
DelayedZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And right behind your head look at the glass of your windows meeting the weatherstrip, they may not be touching, I know mine aren't and you can hear air pass through.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 3M clear bra has a 5 year warranty for paint protection and yellowing or fading. Maybe brand X clear bras or eBay specials may not be as superior as your??

Did you get a warranty on the clear bra? What color is your Z, mine is PPW and it looks as good as the day it was painted. If so talk to the installer
Old 12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
jeffnot

Actually, I'm sure the paint is fine. I think it's the bra itself that is making it look dull. Almost as if the bra has weathered. I think it's been on the car since new, and my Z is a black 03.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffnot
Actually, I'm sure the paint is fine. I think it's the bra itself that is making it look dull. Almost as if the bra has weathered. I think it's been on the car since new, and my Z is a black 03.
If the clear bra is 3M it is still under warranty, 5 years. Contact the seller to see if they have the original paperwork for warranty.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 AM
LBkr

3M or not, if it is really auto protection film, removing it should leave your paint unharmed. If some jerk put on clear vinyl, it could damage the paint and will look bad itself in a short time.

Also, carnuba waxes may tend to yellow some clear bras. Nano-wax and most synthetic, non-carnuba waxes won't damage clear protection film. - Good luck.

As for the wind noise, just turn the stereo up a little louder.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:46 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Trying to figure out were that wind noise is coming from as well. Out of no were when I got the car painted. Its slight but enough for me to notice. Checked both windows and all seems to match fine. My clear bra was removed when the car was painted. However the mirrors Clear Bra was left on. Wondering how the mirror clear bra would make this noise though...

Any Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Bigsapz

Are you sure it rolls all the way up? Im having the same problem with wind noise in my Z. It seems like the passenger side window doesnt roll up all the way. If I hold the button to put the window all the way up it stops. I called the dealer and they said it prolly is moulding around the window and its NOT covered under warr! BS!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM
jeffnot

Well, I've had my windows reprogrammed twice, so it shouldn't be that. If any of you are experiencing a problem with wind noise, it could be just a window needs to be reprogrammed. Make sure they are going all the way up AFTER the door shuts.
I'm thinking the noise might be from the small side window (beside the drivers side window). You know how the roofline kind of comes out and curves around that little window" It seems that air could get trapped in there as you drive faster. Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be your actual side mirror assembly itself. Try sticking a piece of paper or something in the little crevice between the mirror and the mount and see if it still makes the noise.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Seamaster

Originally Posted by jeffnot
Has anyone here experienced wind noise? I can't make out exactly where it's coming from, just that it's on the drivers side window area. It sounds like my window is slightly cracked, but it definitely isn't.
Also, I just bought my Z and it has an invisible bra. I like that it protects the car, but it makes the paint look dull where it is and it's coming loose in a few places. My question is does anyone have any experience with these and if I remove it, will there be any noticable fading?
there will not be noticable fading after many years. i ask one of my friend who owns a paint shop (for cars). if the clear you put on is too thick, the paint looks dull.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 PM
XIceDragonX

my car whistles when i start driving and it isn't quite warmed up yet... from the vents is where i've noticed it coming from.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 AM
jeffnot

So, what would you guys do- Keep the invisible bra on and deal with it looking a little dull, or take it off and risk getting chips and stuff?