Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Liscense Plate Holders ( no drilling)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 11:23 AM
tekkensux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Liscense Plate Holders ( no drilling)

Just curious if anyone can give some insight into the various liscense plate holders for the front of the car. I know StrictlyZ.com
sells one but are there any others out there that don't require drilling? I've also seen some with a black bracket around the plate that mounts onto the grill though I don't know where you can buy those. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:39 PM
zcar70

Default NO DRILL BRACKET.....AGAIN!

NO DRILL front plate bracket! LOOK!!

My gift to all you fellow z-car nuts:

You do not have to drill ANY holes to mount the 350Z front plate.
Here's how:
- Go to your local auto parts store and buy the $2.99 "Universal License Plate Bracket". It is about 8 inches long with LOTS of holes and slots so it will fit any application.
- Go to your local hardware store and get two 3" x 1/4" toggle bolts.
- Mount the bracket with the toggle bolts through the grill to each side of the tow-hook area. DO NOT drill holes! Snug it down.
- Mount your plate TO THE BRACKET.

That's it! The bracket fits over the tow hook area and is easily removed by simply loosening the toggle bolts. Since the plate is mounted to the bracket and NOT the grill directly, there is not contact to painted areas and thus no rubbing/scratching.Total cost about 4 bucks......lots cheaper than the one Courtesy is selling!

Z on!
Old 06-08-2003, 04:01 PM
n8vz

the grill mount 'Zee-Backet" requires you to drill 2 holes to secure the license plate holder. I used a screwdriver to indent and mark the area to be drilled. As it turned out, i didn't even need a power drill, buy gently twising the screwdriver, and shaving off excess plastic material, i was able to make a hole that was just large enough to slide the retaining bolt through and secure the Zee bracket.
interestingly, why doesn't someone just make front license plate holder that simply screws onto the towing hook? seems fairly simple.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:54 PM
jasonh1234

What I did with my old Accord was zap strap the plate and frame to the mesh in the bodykit's intercooler opening.
the Zapstraps were invisible unless you were 6" away or closer.
Maybe you could rig something up similiar? Just a thought/suggestion.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:31 PM
tekkensux

Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into zcar70's way of doing it since I dont have to drill a thing. If not I'll check on how that StrictlyZ thing works. Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:17 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

If you have any questions about my 'Zee-Bracket', I'd be happy to answer them

Installation does require you to drill a small hole in the plastic grill on either side of the tow hook. Takes about 15 minutes to mount the entire kit with your plate and frame
Old 06-12-2003, 08:22 PM
RODiculouZ

Default Re: NO DRILL BRACKET.....AGAIN!

Originally posted by zcar70

Here's how:
- Go to your local auto parts store and buy the $2.99 "Universal License Plate Bracket". It is about 8 inches long with LOTS of holes and slots so it will fit any application.
- Mount the bracket with the toggle bolts through the grill to each side of the tow-hook area. DO NOT drill holes! Snug it down.

That's it! The bracket fits over the tow hook area and is easily removed by simply loosening the toggle bolts. Since the plate is mounted to the bracket and NOT the grill directly, there is not contact to painted areas and thus no rubbing/scratching.Total cost about 4 bucks......lots cheaper than the one Courtesy is selling!

Z on!
zcar70...thanks alot for the info. It looks alot better in the grill area then having to mount it on the bumper. I like the fact that the bumper is smooth and without a license plate. The front plater actually covers some of the grill (thank goodness, the grill doesn't look all that good anyway)
Old 06-12-2003, 08:22 PM
RODiculouZ

Here's how:

Z on!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:24 PM
RODiculouZ

Here's how:

Z on!
Thanks again for the info...I like the fact that the plate is in a place where I would actually like covered. I also like that you could take it off or put it on without really affecting any part of the car.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:06 PM
SweatyPalm

Do you have any pictures of the mounted front plate? I'm very interested. Could you please take a few pictures of the hardware so that I know what exactly I should buy?

Thanks in advance.

Here's how:

Z on!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:13 AM
zcar70

I will take pictures this week and post them.....stay tuned!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:47 AM
stevew

Get the Z-Bracket. I have had it on my car for about 4 months and it's solid and perfectly fits in the profile of the grille. The drilling takes about 15 seconds if you just use the metal plate provided as the guide.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:30 PM
zcar70

Z Bracket sticks out in front of bumper. Need to drill holes, however small they may be.

No thanks
Old 09-22-2003, 02:01 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Originally posted by stevew
Get the Z-Bracket. I have had it on my car for about 4 months and it's solid and perfectly fits in the profile of the grille. The drilling takes about 15 seconds if you just use the metal plate provided as the guide.
Thanks..another appreciated testamonial If you'd like to send me a pic of your install..I'd be happy to put it up on my website The 'Zee-Bracket' once installed sits pretty flush with the bumper...but I understand those that want to go another way...it's your car and your call...spread the love
Old 09-22-2003, 02:42 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it today Pat! Thanks!! That was quick!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:54 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Great Victor...gotta love the USPS

BTW..here is an overhead shot of an installed 'Zee-Bracket' with a plate and frame installed
Attached Thumbnails Front Liscense Plate Holders ( no drilling)-sml-overhead.jpg  
Old 09-22-2003, 04:35 PM
mrice
Banned

Default Re: Re: NO DRILL BRACKET.....AGAIN!

Originally posted by RODiculouZ
My 04 roadster has 1 large tapped hole only, no holes on either side (I found out after tearing up the F***ing plastic thing that covers it that wouldnt release)

Last edited by mrice; 09-22-2003 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:09 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

mrice...you know that the threaded hole is for your tow hook right To attach my 'Zee-Bracket' you need to drill a small hole in the plastic grill on either side of the tow hook recepticle...thank God they didn't drill holes in your bumper
Old 09-24-2003, 10:00 AM
GeRR an GeRRR

so how do I get a Zee Bracket, is there a dealer in Hawaii??
Old 09-24-2003, 10:15 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Originally posted by GeRR an GeRRR
so how do I get a Zee Bracket, is there a dealer in Hawaii??
Sorry, No dealer in Hawaii yet.

I will PM you with several options

Thanks

Quick Reply: Front Liscense Plate Holders ( no drilling)