too light?

easy to install?

easy to paint?

look good?

any help is appreciated
Old 06-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, here is the info I can give you for the version 3 hood.

The center vent will rub against the factory engine cover.

The left vent will drip water (when it rains) onto the metal ground wire next to the water hose.

The right vent will drip water (when it rains) onto the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

And the vent in the rear will fill the screw hole on the intake with water.

Basically, if you get the hood, it will be a show car only piece, unless you live in a place where it doesn't rain.

Yes, I think those item should be, or suppose to be minor water proof...but I don't want to test my luck out with them.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't get it. After feeling and lifting fiberglass hoods I am going carbon fiber, a lot lighter.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:46 AM
havabooz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replys..i was concerned about all those holes...i dont want any problems with my engine or anythign like that

but what about the kaminari hood?...that also has a scoop...basicaLLY im interested in knowing what hood WONT be a problem
Old 07-01-2003, 06:14 AM
Nocturnal

I think it had been said that the 350Z hood is already so light that it will hardly make any difference if you put on a carbon fiber hood. The stock hood is already made of aluminium.

If you want carbon fiber hood, most of them are just fiberglass hood with a carbon fiber sheet lay over it. Now if you want REAL carbon fiber hood, that will cost, and they will probably fade, since they will be made of low quality carbon fiber (light), and also use as little resien on it as possible...

If you want one that are made using vaccum, even more $$$.

So with that said, if you want a CF hood for look, go for it. If you really want a good one for performance, (how ever many lbs that will save you over the stock aluminium hood), then get ready to pay big bucks...not to mention it will look all faded in a couple of month to a year.

I am pretty sure someone will come out with a good carbon hood soon, one that isn't for show but for go, as they are orginally are intended for.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:45 AM
havabooz

i have looks in mind..not performance...so anything that looks good is catching my eye...thats why im interested in the version 3....maybe the version 2 will solve the problem..because it doesnt have a center scoop to rub on the engine cover...but you can probobly shave that anyway
Old 07-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Paolo

Default Version3 hood

I have the version 3 hood. I drive in the rain, and there are no problems. As far as the scoop, it doesn't touch the engine cover, since it is in front of the engine cover. Love the hood, good quality and fit.
Attached Thumbnails veilside hoods-p6230012b.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

How would the rain effect it? It would clean the dirt off the engine if anything. Don't say anything about a CAI either (lol).
Old 07-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Nocturnal

Hum...are you sure that it is okay to drive in the rain? I would like to, but won't push my luck.

I mean the engine get pretty flooded, especially when the water is dripping on the MAF sensor and the alternater (at least that looks like it). I know the engine should be water proof, but I don't really want to push my luck.

And the center hood is not infront of the engine cover. I have a scrach up stock engine cover to prove it too. the metal mesh from the middle vent are pushing against the engine cover, and my kit and hood are installed by Veilside in Japan too before it was ship over.

I am still trying to find ways to fix that hood problem because I have a carbon fiber engine cover, but then I don't want to scrach that up.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:08 PM
fuisz350z

I have the full veilside kit, just waiting to install. If it makes you feel any better my F355's engine gets directly rained on, no problems.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Nocturnal, it will be fine in the rain, it would be fine with no hood. Actually it should help, you don't have to clean the engine cover as much now.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:48 AM
1200tt

Nocturnal, do you have a prototype kit? maybe they changed it for production? Your car isn't one of the car's on the Veilside website is it?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Nocturnal

I don't think so...the vent looks like they are in the same place as the one shown in the pic.

I did order it as soon as the kit was announced on Options Magazine, since I was going to order the Version 1 kit. I saw it at the Tokyo Auto show around Janurary, and the order was placed. So I was probably one of the earily bird, but I sure hope if the change something, they would give me an updated piece. Veilside in japan isn't really helpful...just so you guys know. Their kit is nice, but their customer service and body work is pretty halfass if you ask me. But they sure charge ALOT.

Nope, my isn't the same car as the one on the website, but it does look the same as theirs. Same color, same rim, it is just I got the SMC rim and I have a set of Red Brembos...I'll get some pics as soon as I can get the car out and ready.