Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350z Sound Proofing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM
smaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before you buy anything, do a search for quiet car. its only sold on their website. its a liquid visco-elastic sound dampener. i find it to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy better than any asphalt based mats. you can buy a 5 gal bucket of it which is enough to do 4 coats on the entire interior, the fender wells and the firewall and still have some left....for <$300. but its a krapload of work if you don't have a sprayer to apply it. whatever you go with, i'd recommend a liquid if you have the time and patience to apply it....you'll ultimately get better results.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM
smaha

before you buy anything, do a search for quiet car. its only sold on their website. its a liquid visco-elastic sound dampener. i find it to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy better than any asphalt based mats. you can buy a 5 gal bucket of it which is enough to do 4 coats on the entire interior, the fender wells and the firewall and still have some left....for <$300. but its a krapload of work if you don't have a sprayer to apply it. whatever you go with, i'd recommend a liquid if you have the time and patience to apply it....you'll ultimately get better results.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by clone19
tried searching, couldnt find anything. 350z's seem to be pretty noisy inside compared to other cars. i was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to quiet down the interior a little bit. the noise is alright when your trying to go fast, but when im just driving around town it gets kinda annoying.

any help would be appreciated and sorry in advance if theres a sticky or something already about this...
You are correct. The Z coupe is noisy. One problem is the coupe’s rear wheel wells are inside the car transferring a lot of road noise to the car’s interior. Another problem is the lack of sound-deadening materials in the car.

You can substantially reduce road noise by spraying the underside of the rear wheel wells with sound deadening compounds, and installing sound deadening materials (e.g., Dynamat) inside the car (over the rear wheel wells, on top of the rear cargo floor, and around the rear compartment). Doing this does add weight to your car, but you will no longer hear every stone hitting your wheel well. You can do more by placing sound deadening on the front floor and inside the front doors.

A search here shows what people have done to make the Z car more quiet inside.

--Spike
Old 04-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is very helpful.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ound+Deadening
Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Jes-Z

When I went through the trouble of doing my system install, I used alot of Roadkill Xtreme (Same as Dynamat). I lined both doors, the trunk area and the floors. It worked beautifully at keeping exhaust hum to a minimum. Also the acoustics of my stereo are much better. I ended up spending about $250 in sound deadening material.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ultimate+setup

Last edited by Jes-Z; 04-08-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Blazemaster

If I am doing the sound deadening prior to the audio system install, will I have any problem with the wires, if I add all the sound deadening stuff in there first?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:03 AM
rotaryrocket7

Dynamat, or any of the alternatives, are not that great for soundproofing. They will reduce some noise, but are really intended for a slightly different purpose. To get notable results you'll want to use open cell and closed cell foams (jute and neopryene). I used a triple layer system. Applied Raammat to the metal, than a layer of open cell foam, finally a layer of closed cell foam. This made a dramatic impact on the sound in my car. I've had other Z owners in it and they're amazed at how quiet it is.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Jes-Z

Originally Posted by rotaryrocket7
Dynamat, or any of the alternatives, are not that great for soundproofing. They will reduce some noise, but are really intended for a slightly different purpose. To get notable results you'll want to use open cell and closed cell foams (jute and neopryene). I used a triple layer system. Applied Raammat to the metal, than a layer of open cell foam, finally a layer of closed cell foam. This made a dramatic impact on the sound in my car. I've had other Z owners in it and they're amazed at how quiet it is.
That is the est method to do so. It's what MW and Merc does to their cars to sound proof them. It adds alot of weight though. If you want a soundproof car, goes this route, you will lack slightly in performance. tw, the letter " " doesn't work on my key oard for some reason.