Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your view on paddle shift???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 AM
NickRaine78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I think they cracked the JDM version speed limiter......hope I'm correct so taht I am not a douche
Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 AM
MaRbLe

Originally Posted by Sensi09
I use to think paddle shifts in automatics was a fad, but I drove an AMG car with paddles not to long ago, and I must admit, I liked it a lot. For many automatic cars though, the paddles are out of place and as mentioned, unneeded as the car will be left in DRIVE most of the time. Another point, is that if there is a huge delay when shifting an automatic gearbox, the paddles are even more unnecessary.
If you upgrade the valve body there isnt really a delay.

Nice thing about paddles IMO:

1) quicker response
2) both hands on the wheel
3) goodbye miss shift

Paddles will never be for everyone, drive what you like.....its your car after all*shrugs*
Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Me? AT, all the way--you know, stop-go-go traffic, freeway traps/accidents,
etc. !!! Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks! 274ft/lbs torque vs. MT, 260ft/lbs; (paddle
shift???). Good luck!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Lento

I love my manual, and am not a big fan of paddle shifters, because I feel like there is a lot less involvement. I love the feeling of having to completly control a car.... Plus I get bored easily

But as much as I love my manual, you can not really argue with results. I mean the facts show that a properly set paddle shifter can be much faster than a manual gearbox shift into the next gear.

However I feel that with the paddles I always have that "I'm really in an automatic" feeling, no matter how good the shifts are.

If manufactures do continue to make paddle shifts my recommendation would be to let the driver bring it all the way to the redline, without shifting to another gear. (Like the GT-R), However some paddle shifts have lag (G 35). Terrible!

The reason I mention this is because I have driven both an auto-stick rsx and IS250 and the RSX is great, you can pretty much do what you want without interference.

The IS250 should be destroyed. If you are in manual mode and you go up to close to the redline, or hit the gas to hard, it automaticly shifts... WTF

Even in the IS-F the damn thing starts beeping when you get close to the redline. What is the point of this? If you dont know what your doing keep it in D. People should be able to hear the engine and know when to shift, not to mention you have a Tach right in front of your face! What is the point of manual mode if it's going to shift for you anyways?

Another thought... On Ferarri's and Lambo's the paddle shifters are a 10,000 option... Thats crazy, I'd take a manual without a second thought

Last edited by Lento; 04-10-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
z-u-later

You can shift all the way to redline in manual mode on an A/T . . . it will not shift unless you do so.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
IlOveZ33

What alot of people dont understand is that most of the new performance cars that have been released lately (BMW M3, EVO MR, Ferraris, ect......) have fine tuned the paddle shifting to near lightning speed shifting and to still keep performance oriented drivers in control of the car. The SMG transmission in newer bmws is amazing in my opinion. In an 04 M3 with SMG that ive driven in. When in Full sport mode with paddle shifting, your fully in control of your shifts and as soon as you tap the paddle it almost instantaneously shifts at that moment. I've done the whole AT vs. MT thing and personally i think paddle shifting isnt bad. F1 cars use it? What more can you say? But like they say.....to each his own...