Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

How Wide Is Your Clear Gap: where is your tint edge relative to your window edge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 02:42 PM
blackfairlady

Default How Wide Is Your Clear Gap: where is your tint edge relative to your window edge?

I had 35% tint done on my car about 3 years ago. They left about 3/4 of a cm between where the edge of the tint is and where the window edge is on my side windows.

I went back recently and told him how it was bothering me, and the manager offered to re-do it. When I shut the door, he noticed we have that little auto-up feature to provide a better seal and said that is probably why the tinter left such a big gap at the time to prevent peeling.

He warned me that if he re-does it and the tint begins to peel because of the way the door shut that they are not liable. What do you think I should do?

Does your tint go all the way to the edge? If yes, do you think I should just keep the window rolled slightly down after they re-do the tint to close that gap such that the door does not cause the window to roll up that extra bit when closed??

I hope this makes sense! Please let me know what your experiences have been. Thank you.

p.s. this place does f'ing computer cut tint, but hey, they offered to re-do for free..
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:18 PM
brigz

Mine goes all the way to the edge like as if it were stock. I would make sure they apply it better so maybe keeping the window down a bit may help. On the other hand if the window is rolled down a bit you might have a problem when you roll it back up if the tint isnt deep enough.
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:24 PM
VQ_Z

There is no way a real professional tint installers would leave a 3/4 cm gap!! It shouldn't be a problem if they can leave about 2mm gap.

And yes, my tint is as close to the edge of the window and i am very happy with it

If I were you....simply have your Z parked at home after your tint is done and don't drive it for like 3-4 days because every tint needs sometime to dry out and stick. Thats what i did and i never had any problems
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:24 PM
UofA350Z

Mine goes all the way to the edge as well.
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:25 PM
Spork

Just measured mine. barely 1mm from the edge, and that's looking down at an angle.
Old 05-07-2008 | 04:13 PM
Doh-Joe

Mine is covered all the way
Old 05-07-2008 | 04:35 PM
got556

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Just measured mine. barely 1mm from the edge, and that's looking down at an angle.

Same here.
Old 05-07-2008 | 04:36 PM
350ZYALATA
Tentill4z
Premier Member

All Z way
Old 05-07-2008 | 05:26 PM
blackfairlady

Tinter Dude

I'm pissed!!!

I almost bought that line about them not being able to do it because of our window auto-up thing when the door closes. What's the right term for that anyway??

Also, the tint does not adhere between the black spot mesh stuff (term for that too lol). Otherwise, it looks okay.

You live and learn...this was before I knew of quality installers. I would normally just go to one of them right now, but this place will re-do for free, like I said.

I've always thought the gap looked so bad.

And you know what they also did?? Got some kind of gluey clear film on the rubber gaskets that go around my window!!! They deny they had anything to do with it because they "don't apply anything on the outside of the window. We don't need to apply tint on the outside and then cut it to size, because our accuracy is superior because the film is computer cut!" <-- , yet the glue was not there when I dropped it off!! I don't really have a leg to stand on since it was so long ago. I'm lucky they will re-do the tint. Any thoughts on something to get it off? I know it will be impossible to truly diagnose what it is over the net, but thought I'd ask.

Someone want to post a quick pic(s) of their tint that goes all the way to the edge so I can see what my baby is supposed to look like

Last edited by blackfairlady; 05-07-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2008 | 08:08 PM
Dieselinvasian

mine goes up all the way ... i told him specifically that thats how i wanted it -- the tint cant adhere to the matrix dots ... i tihnk thats what they're called
Old 05-07-2008 | 08:47 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by Dieselinvasian
mine goes up all the way ... i told him specifically that thats how i wanted it -- the tint cant adhere to the matrix dots ... i tihnk thats what they're called
Yes. Matrix dots.

Okay, I will be going back next week then to get this taken care of.