Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

asuka/mg hatch questions/problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 AM
anotheraznguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default asuka/mg hatch questions/problems.

As some of you may know i have a 350z w/ greddy tt and a Asuka hatch.

The car from factory was never a 50/50 weight distribution.
I've weighed the car after mods as it sits now w/ full tank excluding driver it is 3300 lbs

So in essence if i can recall correctly weight distribution from factory is 52/48 (Please correct me if i am wrong)

I've lost weight on the rear and added weight to the front. I haven't corner balanced my car yet as i still have a few other mods to do that will drastically affect the balance.

I would eventually like to add a lexan hatch but as we all know that will just keep making the rear end lighter. I am guessing that the current weight distribution of the car is somewhere closer to 55/45 f/r

With a lightened rear end, the aftermarket coilovers are overpowering the rear of the vehicle. along with the aftermarket sway bars that are equipped on the car.

When at speed 60+ mph taking a corner, whether it be sweeping on ramp or turn 1 and turn 2 sweeper at thunder hill the rear end is highly unstable and tends to crab walk.

I am not losing traction in the tires but the rear end just doesn't seem as planted as it used to be stock. whether it be from the additional power and removal of weight in the rear end i do not know.

I am looking to pick up a rear wing that will help stabilize the rear end as well as a front diffuser or canards for the front. The front end i can deal w/ in regards to making or buying something that will work.

However due to the fact that the rear hatch is super flimsy and the fact that the rear hatch of the asuka and mastergrade actually has a built in hump of a wing. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas on how to properly mount a wing without destroying the hatch. I have been tossing ideas of getting a 70 inch long wing and creating custom pedestals that go into the rear bumper and ultimately to the sheet metal of the rear. I am open to suggestions as one of the few things is that the wing needs to be fully functional. Another thing is that i would still like to open the rear hatch. i had tossed around having a mounting plate go through the hatch and into the frame rails in the cabin but that would of been excessive and probably not the best looking.

Thanks for hearing me out guys and if you know of any ideas or suggestion to mount a rear wing that would be great. Also please do not make any crack comments saying wing will be shopping cart etc... I am looking for meaningful mounting methods to help make the car stable and handle at speeds. Also yes i know adding a wing will add drag and yada yada yada..
Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
I've lost weight on the rear and added weight to the front. I haven't corner balanced my car yet as i still have a few other mods to do that will drastically affect the balance.
corner balacing the car with weights in the driver seat will help with the feel and balance of the car..

With a lightened rear end, the aftermarket coilovers are overpowering the rear of the vehicle. along with the aftermarket sway bars that are equipped on the car.
the coilover u got, true rear or traditional with spring cup adjustment?

When at speed 60+ mph taking a corner, whether it be sweeping on ramp or turn 1 and turn 2 sweeper at thunder hill the rear end is highly unstable and tends to crab walk.
I am not losing traction in the tires but the rear end just doesn't seem as planted as it used to be stock. whether it be from the additional power and removal of weight in the rear end i do not know.
Use the downFORCE.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas on how to properly mount a wing without destroying the hatch. I have been tossing ideas of getting a 70 inch long wing and creating custom pedestals that go into the rear bumper and ultimately to the sheet metal of the rear. I am open to suggestions as one of the few things is that the wing needs to be fully functional. Another thing is that i would still like to open the rear hatch. i had tossed around having a mounting plate go through the hatch and into the frame rails in the cabin but that would of been excessive and probably not the best looking.
I sure you've seen Andy@Performance's INGs Type E High mount wing. you need to mount the wing on that hatch like that..

or like Cwest's wing.. however this will definately be a 1off custom job. make a mounting plate attach that to the hatch, add side attachements, and add the wing like you normally would to the mounting plate-

if you're considering cutting into the rear bumper, you might as well go back to the stock steel hatch, run a lexan window, and mount a traditional SBC wing on that, and no cutting necessary- the hardware you use to mount a new wing through the rear bumper, it'll be almost the same weight addition as going back to the stock hatch.

good luck..

highest downforce for the Z33 would be a wing with dual element trailing edge.. i.e. the Voltex type III (the one that i have) or Type E Ings+1 (andy's) but you'll be drag limited to under 160mph. hehe.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM
anotheraznguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply buddy.

as earlier. i will be corner balancing one i have completed the next round of mods. Primarily changing suspension and throwing the brakes on there as well as the rear wing.

Currently i am running a true coilover in the rear. I feel that this has partly to do with the handling issues that i am facing now. The factory mounting point for the shock was never designed to handled the side load that the addition spring is adding onto it. But that in itself is a whole other thread. I will be going back to factory style coilovers by choosing either the tein super sports or the zeal function x coilovers. I've had the zeals before switching over to the stance and i will say that is one of the mods that i most regretted.

i'd prefer to keep the aftermarket hatch on there as i will be throwing some lexan into that to save additional weight as well. With the High mount wing the mounting tablets that go onto the hatch are designed for a factory hatch. Even if i were to trade out the asuka for say something similar to a seibon i still dont feel that there is enough structural rigidity in the hatch at that curvature. i have access to metal fab tools and would most likely be building the legs out of aluminum to attempt to reduce as much weight as possible. And since i am running an aftermarket rear bumper i dont care if i cut into it at this point.

Also in regards to 160+ i highly doubt i can ever go that fast on the straights of even the longest track we have in california. I'll sacrafice top speed for additional handling at this point. I do like your suggestion on the voltex type 3. Let me know how much is the price range of that one as most sites are "call for pricing"

Also another thing to remember is if i do get too much downforce in the rear i may not be able to even it out with a front splitter and canards. too much of a good thing may be bad as well.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
With the High mount wing the mounting tablets that go onto the hatch are designed for a factory hatch. Even if i were to trade out the asuka for say something similar to a seibon i still dont feel that there is enough structural rigidity in the hatch at that curvature.
trust me, the Seibon oem cf hatches, even the mastergrade probably have enough frp underneath the carbon to hold the weight of a wing.... getting a high mount wing like the INGs or Cwest, was so that you have everything BUT the mounting plate- which honestly, probably 1/8th" thick aluminum bent to fit should be more than enough to dissipate the force evenly on any hatch.

Voltex Type III goes for like ~1200. i found a brand new power enterprise/do luck wing for $875 on Zilvia.net.. that would be good if u're going to re do the pedistals anyway-