Sponsored by:

Blue LED Gauge Conversion FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BaZooKa
im doing my 5at .. also bought the LED from ebay ..
Post pics when done pls
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 AM
BaZooKa

Originally Posted by gmueip
Post pics when done pls
of course ,, i think after a week or two ill open a thread
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
blozano71

well. I saw the ones on ebay, any my only problem with them is that the bars are also white. I like how the numbers look its just I think it would look so much better by making the gauge bar red.. to kinda give it some life. any idea if that's possible? any new photos kroe
Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
kroe

Oh crap, my main cluster lights up but none of the needles move: This will happen if the climate control box is unplugged. Not the **** assembly, the actual box. Scared me pretty good until I did a bit of thinking...
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM
cb1

pretty cool, i think i going to do mine
Old 01-22-2009, 02:27 AM
BaZooKa

My Led's arrived today ,, Going to work at night ,, when ill finish ill put some pics
Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
DUBZRO

Originally Posted by BaZooKa
My Led's arrived today ,, Going to work at night ,, when ill finish ill put some pics
DO IT DO IT DO IT

im ready to tackle this myself
Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 AM
BaZooKa

well i opened the center console ,, work is easy ,, opened the three gauges and they are also easy ,, but when i was going to install my white led's the problem is the faces of the gauges are orange , i tried to put a white light under it and it turned out to be yellow

when i was searching i thought it wasn't nessacary to change the faces ,, but with my car i have to change them ,,

did any one have the same problem ?? or did anyone use his oem gauge face ??
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
kroe

It is absolutely necessary to change the gauge faces when changing led colors. I got mine from black cat custom, they are pricey but are oem quality.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM
BaZooKa

whats there website ? ,, i dont know how i didnt think about the face's ,, well ill just order the faces and start working again cuz i put back the center console and the main gauge cluster ,,

but really working with them isnt that hard ,, and was so fun to do
Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 PM
kroe

The web site I got my faces from is http://www.blackcatcustom.com/. They truly custom make them for you, so you can get them to do anything you want. I did silver with blue markings. The silver looks great, but I wish I did white with blue markings.

The product is great, but it took them about a week longer than they told me it would. Only mentioning this so you don't take your car apart in anticipation of the faces coming in (unless you have another vehicle).
Old 01-23-2009, 04:39 PM
kroe

I need a favor from one of you...

I followed acree's original instructions, where he recommended replacing the resistors in the climate control and window switches. After he posted these instructions, it was determined that no resistor replacement is necessary. I find that the resistor replacement made those parts too bright compared to the rest (not really noticeable, but I am picky).

I want to replace the resistors with stock values. Problem is, I have no idea what the factory resistor values were.

Can someone take good quality pictures (good enough to show the resistor markings) of both sides of the boards for the climate control and the window switches?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Michla22

Thanks for the post - I finally got around to doing this:

Not to bad once I learned to properly solder with the correct tools and such.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered my Blue conversion kits last week and yesterday got to thinking about the faces... going to order and putting this thread in my favs.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 AM
oro

Originally Posted by Michla22
Thanks for the post - I finally got around to doing this:

Not to bad once I learned to properly solder with the correct tools and such.
Wow that looks awesome the blue looks dark and clean, did you follow this write up and use the mentioned LED's? I want to stay away from the light blue EL Gauge look that I used to have when I changed over my gauges in my old eclipse.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Michla22

Yeah I bought some leds off of ebay and used this thread along with Acree's original thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-finished.html

Then looked up how to solder surface mount leds and with a little practice - here you have it.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:54 PM
lbz

I got the blue conversion kit off ebay and started using the extra LEDs that came to change my window control panels to blue.

While the door lock switch LED lights up, the window switch LEDs do not. Same thing on both driver and passenge side.

I looked at the stock LED's and I don't see any difference in the contacts on the stock LED's and the ones I got off Ebay. They have one contact across each end.

From Acree's postings I thought it was the resistors but then read later the resistors don't need to be changed.

Strange thing is that I can't see the LEDs glowing by looking at the boards but when I snap the cover with the switch actuators on I can see the door lock symbol glowing. At first the driver side LED for the door lock switch was visibly glowing but then it stopped.

Any idea why the window switch LED's are not working? I've got them lined up the same way the stock ones were.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Michla22

Originally Posted by lbz
I got the blue conversion kit off ebay and started using the extra LEDs that came to change my window control panels to blue.

While the door lock switch LED lights up, the window switch LEDs do not. Same thing on both driver and passenge side.

I looked at the stock LED's and I don't see any difference in the contacts on the stock LED's and the ones I got off Ebay. They have one contact across each end.

From Acree's postings I thought it was the resistors but then read later the resistors don't need to be changed.

Strange thing is that I can't see the LEDs glowing by looking at the boards but when I snap the cover with the switch actuators on I can see the door lock symbol glowing. At first the driver side LED for the door lock switch was visibly glowing but then it stopped.

Any idea why the window switch LED's are not working? I've got them lined up the same way the stock ones were.
Not quite sure what's going on. Double check that you got it correct as far as positive and negative lines up properly from led to board. Also make sure there is no extra solder in those areas that may be connecting the positive and negative contacts thus bypassing the led with a short. The leds should visibly light up:

Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 AM
lbz

Thanks. I'll redo them. I checked all the old amber ones with a multi-meter and they are still good. Will check the blue ones I've used to make sure before I resolder.

You still need the pics of the boards with the stock resistors? I will take when doing this and post if you need them.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
lbz

Fixed! The two LED's for the window switches were dead. Must have burnt them somehow.

Here's a pic of the board with the stock resistors

Quick Reply: Blue LED Gauge Conversion FAQ