Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 09:54 PM
JasonZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Spoiler Install

I was wondering if the stock spoiler can be installed without drilling. The evo-r balsarini style wing is held on by the doublesided tape and it looks bigger/heavier than stock. If drilling is a must...how much would it cost to install. Thanks in advance.

Jason
Old 08-28-2003, 09:07 AM
supirio

Default Re: Stock Spoiler Install

Do it yourself man, I did one on my friends car. Just make sure you buy the OEM one that comes with the template, not the cheap imitation 170$ ones they crack way to easy.

Anyhow basics are:

- Remove the plastic in the hatch where you will be drilling into
- put template up to car and drill holes where template says using the drill bit size template says
- Put clips in the two inner holes and place spoiler into it with tape exposed, fasten lugs on the outter hole/bolts

Boom done in under hour no problem

Installation I'd assume is about 70$ at nissan

Originally posted by JasonZ
I was wondering if the stock spoiler can be installed without drilling. The evo-r balsarini style wing is held on by the doublesided tape and it looks bigger/heavier than stock. If drilling is a must...how much would it cost to install. Thanks in advance.

Jason
Old 08-28-2003, 09:26 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont have to drill if you dont want, its not very large, close to the mounting point, so shouldnt have too much leverage to tear itself off.

just clean both surfaces very good might wanna even let it sit for a day after you install it to be sure it dries.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:22 AM
350zSpeedRacer

When I took my OEM spoiler off, that double sided tape used held like crazy. It took almost 4 hours just to get it all off with a heat gun. Made me wonder why there were bolts in the first place.

But, I suggest going with supirio's post. It would be very easy with the template (I did my NISMO without one just fine), and that way you'll have that extra assurance it won't fly off when you're cruising down the freeway one day.

Just my $.02
Old 08-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Aggro_Al

The bodyshop at the dealership I got my car from removed the bolts and didn't use them to install my spoiler. He just used double-sided automobile body tape. He assured my that it would stay on without having to drill any holes. I was concerned about the spoiler coming off at speed and he showed me some of the cars that were in the shop for bodykits. Some were attached with the tape and some were bolted on. Some of the taped on kits looked like they fit better and felt more firm than the bolted on kits. My spoiler is still on the car with no problems.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:56 PM
supirio

That might be even better than drilling because if you really wanted you could remove the spoiler without having holes in your hatch, but I plan on leaving it there permanently so might as well bolt it in, tho its something to think about hmmm so many options all the time =)

Originally posted by Aggro_Al
The bodyshop at the dealership I got my car from removed the bolts and didn't use them to install my spoiler. He just used double-sided automobile body tape. He assured my that it would stay on without having to drill any holes. I was concerned about the spoiler coming off at speed and he showed me some of the cars that were in the shop for bodykits. Some were attached with the tape and some were bolted on. Some of the taped on kits looked like they fit better and felt more firm than the bolted on kits. My spoiler is still on the car with no problems.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:51 AM
wadd3456

I drilled two TINY holes for my stock spoiler, it wasnt hard. I would assume the tape WOULD hold though.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:00 PM
JasonZ

Great...thanks for all the info guys...looks like im gonna use the double sided tape...ill let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:55 AM
OP Z

Default Stock Spoiler-just tape

Jason-did you install your spoiler with just tape? How is it holding?
Old 06-11-2005, 01:48 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you HAVE to use the template when you drill the holes for the OEM wing? I just recently picked up an OEM wing and I'm gonna be dropping it off at the body shop next week to get the wing installed. I definitely want the wing to be centered perfectly. Are there any guides under the plastic of the trunk that show where to drill or will I have to buy the template from Nissan? =|